Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Western Conference Playoffs

With roughly 10 games remaining in the season, spots 1-5 are pretty much set.

1. GS
    2. SA
    3. OKC
    4. LAC
    5. MEM

Thus, LAC v. MEM is set. (not much of a series)

6 thru 8 is a complete crap-shoot, with 4 teams, all within a game of each other, battling for all three spots.

PORT
    DAL
    HOU
    UTAH

If you're GS, SA, OKC, which team would you most prefer to see? Which would cause you the most trouble?

Default Re: Western Conference Playoffs

Realistically, none of those teams will cause OKC, GSW or San Antonio any trouble. They're .500 average at best teams versing the most elite teams the league has to offer.

However, it is possible that Houston could offer OKC some problems, as they generally play close games and Harden can go off at any time.

Portland could cause Golden State a little bit of trouble, if Lillard and CJ get hot at the right time, but still not enough to take the series.

San Antonio is too playoff experienced, with GOAT coaching and insane team basketball IQ, I would be shocked if any of those teams steal more than 1 lucky game off them. Realistically they sweep the first round.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    Realistically, none of those teams will cause OKC, GSW or San Antonio any trouble. They're .500 average at best teams versing the most elite teams the league has to offer.
    Understood.

(though I wouldn't put OKC in quite the same category of the other two)

Quote Originally Posted by jayfan
    Understood.

(though I wouldn't put OKC in quite the same category of the other two)
    I wouldn't put them in that category either, but OKC has been playing some strong basketball lately, and when hot Durant is still the best scorer and best player in the NBA, along with Westbrooks dominant year. A ton of star power to deal with, especially when you have HCA and you're going up against .500 teams.

Serious playground baller Mike smith's Avatar

Agree I don't see any of those first round series going more than 5 or 6 games. I think Houston could potentially take okc to 6 just because they play them well but they are so inconsistent. If Houston matched up with warriors or Spurs it would either be a sweep or gentleman sweep. Portland would get swept by the Spurs, would win max one game against okc and get swept by the warriors. Dallas would get swept by all 3 teams. Utah could win one against Spurs but get swept by warriors and thunder. Grizzlies vs clippers could be interesting, they are a fisty team who plays hard, they need Conley back. If Portland some how moved up to 5th they could cause clippers problems too. However it will be warriors vs clippers second round and okc vs Spurs.

College superstar

I think Houston can provide the most trouble for any of those teams, particularly Warriors and Spurs. Their length, versatility, and Harden's ability to do anything on offense make them VERY dangerous. Houston, when playing well, is one of the few teams that can match up athletically with GSW and go small with them, without losing much in terms of defense and rebounding.

Odds are STRONGLY against Houston actually putting it all together, though.

Warriors - Thunder will be the most entertaining WCF ever

Gone_Fishin
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035
    Warriors - Thunder will be the most entertaining WCF ever
    Confirmed scared of the Spurs.

IF Blake ever plays basketball again, I hope we get the Clippers v Warriors and Spurs v Thunder. Then Clippers v Thunder WCF. Then Clippers v Raptors Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Fishin
    Confirmed scared of the Spurs.

IF Blake ever plays basketball again, I hope we get the Clippers v Warriors and Spurs v Thunder. Then Clippers v Thunder WCF. Then Clippers v Raptors Finals.

Mavs are without a chance against GSW and OKC, but they always perform against the Spurs. I could see the Mavs steal one or two games.

Portland are Warriors biggest threat, because they have firepower and when the 3s are falling the can go toe to toe.

OKC could have problems against the Rockets, Westbrook VS Beverly is a bloodbath, Dwight can cause some problems aswell.

From an entertaiment standpoint:

Portland VS Golden State
    Mavs VS Spurs
    Rockets VS Thunder

are the best series.

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    Mavs are without a chance against GSW and OKC, but they always perform against the Spurs. I could see the Mavs steal one or two games.

Portland are Warriors biggest threat, because they have firepower and when the 3s are falling the can go toe to toe.

OKC could have problems against the Rockets, Westbrook VS Beverly is a bloodbath, Dwight can cause some problems aswell.

From an entertaiment standpoint:

Portland VS Golden State
    Mavs VS Spurs
    Rockets VS Thunder

are the best series.
    tbh, that would be the worst series. at least for dirk. spurs are just a bad machtup for dirk the last years and pop showed already 2014 how to stop an aging and slow dirk. furthermore, dirk will be completly exhausted once the playoffs start (like 2014). the most important thing is to avoid the spurs. the best matchup are the thunder for the mavs

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    tbh, that would be the worst series. at least for dirk. spurs are just a bad machtup for dirk the last years and pop always knows how to stop dirk. furthermore, dirk will be completly exhausted once the playoffs start (like 2014). the most important thing is to avoid the spurs. the best matchup are the thunder for the mavs
    Nah, the Spurs play slow, OKC would just steamroll the Mavs.

2014 series was great.

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    Nah, the Spurs play slow, OKC would just steamroll the Mavs.

2014 series was great.
    but bad for dirk who was exhausted carrying a team with calderon as starting pg and dalambert as starting C on 50/40/90 and 23.6. Dirks legs were mummified and he was winded. Pop perfectly chased dirk over the floor, preventing him to get the ball. even 3 feets behind the three point line, dirk was guarded.
    and then you had bonner as a man to man matchup.

without parsons, who do we have as scorer besides dirk, if dirk is taking out of the game by pops defense?
    okc and warriors are better matchups

saying that, dirk will be (like 2014 and 2015) completly exhausted once the offseason starts. he is playing 32 min a game, and the last 10 games even 34min while carrying the offense at 38.
    Last edited by pastis; 03-25-2016 at 04:28 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

I don't expect the Thunder to lose but they can easily have problems in the first round. They've proven over and over again that their a team of all talent and no structure. Their continuous reliance on ISO basketball always makes it harder and harder for themselves.

Not worried about any of those teams.