Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups gaydad's Avatar

Default Re: Tim Duncan is greater than Shaq, and here are the numbers to PROVE it

Quote Originally Posted by ronron15
    shaq was once the most dominant player on the planet....
    for a couple of years at best (the first 2 Lakers titles), and I'm not even sure of that, as Duncan was certainly the better player. But Shaq had Kobe playing second fiddle

Local High School Star poeticism707's Avatar

Default Re: Tim Duncan is greater than Shaq, and here are the numbers to PROVE it

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    poetis.... until Duncan wins a ring this June, he ISN'T above Shaq yet... so stop bumping this stupid thread.

Even after Duncan gets his 4th in June, it's still debatable between Shaq and Duncan, but why am I explaining to you, you feel Duncan will be "inarguably top five all time" after June...
    Of course, I don't know if Tim Duncan will win another title and finals MVP this June, anything can happen (injury, for instance). But if he does, with equaling Shaq in titles at 4-4, besting him in finals MVPs at 4-3, with the superior body of work he has compared to Shaq (see page 1 of this thread), if there is even a hint of objectivity in you, then it would be clear Tim Duncan has surpassed Shaq. Again, based on their respective bodies of work, its not debatable. Shaq is a great player, but for 2 big men playing in the same era, this comparison is an easy one. Also, when I spoke of Tim Duncan being inarguably top 5 upon his next title, I meant top 5 big men (already passed Hakeem, just passing Shaq), but INARGUABLY top ten all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Umm, wewll I never thought hammerin hank was the best, but when the only thing kepping 99% sure from turining into 100% sure on the steriods issue is a test for HGH, There can be much debate.
    Ok now in English. There is no argument for Hank over Bonds unless you're a Bonds ***** and one who has ignored MLB the last 10-12 years. And will continue to do so because you are suspicious of everyone.

In It to Win It

Quote Originally Posted by poeticism707
    Here are Tim Duncan and Shaq's career numbers and accomplishments

Lets take it to the scorecard as it stands right NOW:

titles: Shaq 4, Duncan 3
    finals mvps: Shaq 3, duncan 3
    season mvps: Shaq 1, Duncan 2
    1st team all nba: Shaq 7, Duncan 9
    1st team all defense: Shaq 0, Duncan 7 (Shaq only has 3 2nd team all defense!)
    Shaq career: 25.9ppg, 11.6 rpg, 2.8apg, 2.8bpg
    Duncan Career: 21.8 ppg, 11.9rpg, 3.2apg, 2.4bpg

Now lets discuss the obvious. Shaq has been in the league 5 more years than Duncan, but only has one more title, both even in finals mvps, Duncan with one more season mvp at 2-1. Here is where it gets shocking: Shaq has been in the league over 14+ years, but only 7 first team all nba elections? That a mere 50%! Also, Shaq has never, not even once been voted first team all defense- with only 3, count it 3 total 2ND TEAM all defense selections! Wow! He's a bigger defensive liability than Steve Nash! Even with all this "dominant" scoring, career wise he leads Duncan by only four points in career average! It is obvious that all you who swear by Shaq's dominance have been utterly duped!

Anyone please look at these numbers and prove Shaq is better than Duncan! According to their career numbers and stats, Duncan is already ahead of Shaq, and its not even close! One more title and finals mvp will simply be icing on the cake.
    Personally, I agree with you. Duncan is a little better than Shaq historically.

What Duncan fans have not mentioned is:

Duncan: Top-10 in scoring 5 times, in rebounding 9 times (twice runner-up), in FG% 6 times, in blocks 9 times, in PER rating 9 times (3 times runner-up).

Compared to:

Shaq: Top-10 in scoring 10 times (incl. 6 times at top-2), in rebounding 7 times (3 times runner-up), in FG% 13 times (9 times 1st), in blocks 12 times (once 2nd), 14 times in PER rating (5 times 1st, each of which easily beats Duncan's best one).

Also, playoff-wise (till 2006):

24.1/12.7/3.6/2.69 on 50% FG for Duncan.
    25.6/12.2/2.2/2.20 on 57% FG for Shaq, including post-prime years.

Shaq has overall career dominance over Duncan.
    Career-wise? Give me Shaq, either if Duncan wins it this year or not.

Local High School Star poeticism707's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas

Duncan: Top-10 in scoring 5 times, in rebounding 9 times (twice runner-up), in FG% 6 times, in blocks 9 times, in PER rating 9 times (3 times runner-up).

Compared to:

Shaq: Top-10 in scoring 10 times (incl. 6 times at top-2), in rebounding 7 times (3 times runner-up), in FG% 13 times (9 times 1st), in blocks 12 times (once 2nd), 14 times in PER rating (5 times 1st, each of which easily beats Duncan's best one).

Now these are excellent points! However, Shaq's lack of defense (as evidenced in 0 first team all defense, only 3 2nd team all defense) has ever made him a liability, which is only one reason Duncan has the edge.

rank sentamentalist

Now these are excellent points!
    Why, because he used awards and statistics to prove a point, because that's all you're willing to listen to, and comprehand?

All-NBA and All-Defense only matter if you HAVEN'T watched the player or players being analyzed. They help to show off the strengths and weaknesses of players, and allow insight as to what people at the time thought of the player or players.

However, considering Shaq and Duncan are quite recent, and pretty much everyone who've replied in this thread (or are even on this board) have watched most of their careers play out, the awards aren't necissary. They aren't necissary because if you've seen both of these players play, the superior is really never in doubt.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Compared to:

This is somewhat misleading because Shaq is clearly in the twilight of his career. There won't be any more seasons where Shaq can crack top 10 in any of those categories. Duncan, however is in the prime of his career. He is going to rack up at least a few more top-10 in Rebounding, Blocks, and PER. Do you agree?

Not that I am diasagreeing with you, but the 2nd statline looks better to me. Anyone else notice the same thing? In reading your post, I was expecting to see some crazy dominance numbers of Shaq over Duncan, but your stats definitely does not prove your case.

This is somewhat misleading because Shaq is clearly in the twilight of his career. There won't be any more seasons where Shaq can crack top 10 in any of those categories. Duncan, however is in the prime of his career. He is going to rack up at least a few more top-10 in Rebounding, Blocks, and PER. Do you agree?
    He probably will, but he won't compile Shaq's "pole positions". I mean, for an elite player, it's much easier to just crack the top-10 than being No1 in a category. Shaq led the league in scoring twice and in FG% 9 times, equaling Wilt's record. And has around 10 more runner-up positions in various categories. It's like comparing Jordan's and English' scoring: Both were consistantly at top-10, but Jordan, with his 10 scoring titles, displayed a bigger dominance in this field. So goes it for Shaq's and Duncan's statistical dominance.

Not that I am diasagreeing with you, but the 2nd statline looks better to me.
    So we agree here. Shaq had the better statline.

In reading your post, I was expecting to see some crazy dominance numbers of Shaq over Duncan, but your stats definitely does not prove your case.
    Well, I remind you that I included Shaq's post-prime years. Duncan had produced the aforementioned up to the age of 30. If we compare them to Shaq's numbers up to 30, they become:

Duncan: 24.1/12.7/3.6/2.69 on 50% FG
    Shaq: 28.2/12.7/3.2/2.25 on 56% FG

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    He probably will, but he won't compile Shaq's "pole positions". I mean, for an elite player, it's much easier to just crack the top-10 than being No1 in a category. Shaq led the league in scoring twice and in FG% 9 times, equaling Wilt's record. And has around 10 more runner-up positions in various categories. It's like comparing Jordan's and English' scoring: Both were consistantly at top-10, but Jordan, with his 10 scoring titles, displayed a bigger dominance in this field. So goes it for Shaq's and Duncan's statistical dominance.

So we agree here. Shaq had the better statline.

Well, I remind you that I included Shaq's post-prime years. Duncan had produced the aforementioned up to the age of 30. If we compare them to Shaq's numbers up to 30, they become:

Duncan: 24.1/12.7/3.6/2.69 on 50% FG
    Shaq: 28.2/12.7/3.2/2.25 on 56% FG
    Wow, that statline is still not very convincing. Do you see what I'm saying here? Duncan averages 4 less points, which is obvious since we all know that Shaq is clearly the superior scorer, but Duncan has been the better passer and defender. Looks to me like they are about dead even.

PS: You also have take in consideration that Shaq also has "more" years of declining ahead of him which will further drop his playoff numbers.
    Last edited by Wuxia; 05-27-2007 at 02:00 PM.

rank sentamentalist

Looks to me like they are about dead even.
    How so? The 0.4 assist advantage and the 0.4 block advantage only help to even out that scoring edge. It's not like those are big differences between the two. And even if you were to think that those two stats completely evened out the scoring edge, you still have to take into consideration that Shaq is one of the msot efficient scorers on the block that this league has ever seen. 57% for his career. Duncan's 50% is no small feat, but it pails in comparison to Shaq. You could bring FT% into the mix, but it's not like either player is particularly efficient in that category.
    PS: You also have take in consideration that Shaq also has "more" years of declining ahead of him which will further drop his playoff numbers.
    And Duncan doesn't?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    How so? The 0.4 assist advantage and the 0.4 block advantage only help to even out that scoring edge. It's not like those are big differences between the two. And even if you were to think that those two stats completely evened out the scoring edge, you still have to take into consideration that Shaq is one of the msot efficient scorers on the block that this league has ever seen. 57% for his career. Duncan's 50% is no small feat, but it pails in comparison to Shaq. You could bring FT% into the mix, but it's not like either player is particularly efficient in that category.

And Duncan doesn't?
    Yeah, if you add in the difference in efficiency, Shaq has like a 7-9 ppg advantage on Duncan, which is large -- certainly more than enough to offset the small difference in bpg.

Local High School Star mavsfan4zindagi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Hank Aaron? Barry Bonds is better than Hank Aaron...not even a debate. Barry Bonds is this generations best baseball player and has an argument for GOAT. Horrible example...try using another sport because you dont know where Hank Aaron is ranked in terms of greatness. Damn sure aint on Bonds level.
    Much as I despise every single thing about Bonds, there really is no debate about this. Bonds>Aaron. The End.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs

And Duncan doesn't?
    I don't think thats fair. Duncan shoots a playoff career 70% from the FT line, which is nothing to brag about but its far more spectacular than Shaq's career 50% FT. You can't say that neither guy is efficient so lets throw away those stats. Thats the same difference as comparing an 85% FT shooter to a 65% FT shooter.

I'm a huge Duncan fan but even I think that Shaq has the edge right now as far as career goes, but I have no doubt Duncan will go down as the greater player once his career ends.

I just don't think those numbers represent a jawdropping difference to convince me that Shaq was clearly a greater player based on those numbers. A good arguement for Shaq is he was more dominant in his Peek Prime than Duncan ever was.

Not airballing my layups anymore WeJustNeedaRing's Avatar

Shaq is the most dominate force the league has ever seen. Tim Duncan may be the greatest power foward ever but hes not greater than shaq, why would somebody even bring up this conversation shaq is better and will always be end of discussion.