Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Default Carmelo changes style, admits being a shot jacker wasn't working, improves

NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks went from losing nine straight games to winning two in a row by an average of 34 points.

Carmelo Anthony says he's trying to shoot -- and score -- less and it's working for the Knicks, who pummeled the Orlando Magic, 121-83, at Madison Square Garden on Friday night.

"I wanted to do something a little different to see if it worked," Anthony said. "Me scoring 30 wasn't working."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...less-help-team
    In those 2 games he went:

6/10 20 points 11 rebounds 4 assists 3 steals 1 turnover
    8/12 19 points 10 rebounds 6 assists 2 turnovers

After all of these years he FINALLY learned. I'll give him credit for that. I posted last week that Melo had potential to be a good scorer, but ruined it by shot jacking which hurt his team and gave him trash efficiency making him a mediocre scorer.

8/12 19 points is WAY better than going 11/25 30 points. He finally stopped listening to low IQ fans who idolize cancerous low efficiency shot jacking. I've criticized Rose for the same thing.

Hopefully he keeps it up.
    Last edited by secund2nun; 12-08-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Default Re: Carmelo changes style, admits being a shot jacker wasn't working, improves

Scoring 30 is always working..... but not when you go 9 of 25 very often.... :)

Default Re: Carmelo changes style, admits being a shot jacker wasn't working, improves

meloo

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    In those 2 games he went:

6/10 20 points 11 rebounds 4 assists 1 turnover
    8/12 19 points 10 rebounds 6 assists 2 turnovers

After all of these years he FINALLY learned. I'll give him credit for that. I posted last week that Melo had potential to be a good scorer, but ruined it by shot jacking which hurt his team and gave him trash efficiency making him a mediocre scorer.

8/12 19 points is WAY better than going 11/25 30 points. He finally stopped listening to low IQ fans who idolize cancerous low efficiency shot jacking. I've criticized Rose for the same thing.

Hopefully he keeps it up.
    I'm going to go on a limb and say Melos shot jacking had zero to do with fans . His chucking comes from him being a scorer and having the green light to shoot since he was a kid.

He def. needs to change his game is he wants to win. Its good he is actually conscious of this and is making an effort but its tough to teach a old dog new tricks.

Guys like him or Kobe really need to be more than volume shooters to be effective but its tough to change a players ways after so long. Kobe was able to make somewhat of a adjustment last year and really took to getting his teammates involved. BUt in the end, they are who they are and I don't think Melo will be able to change his game entirely, same as Kobe

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

A big reason for the shot jacking is that his second best scorer is JR Smith. He hasn't had anybody worth passing to.

Not saying that's the only reason, but it definitely is a major reason.

NBA Superstar

Melo needs to play like this but it is hard for him because he is really really good.

When he is on team USA it could be argued he is the best FIBA player on the planet (though this argument gets more difficult with Kevin Durant's recent FIBA exploits). He can score inside and out, he can move the ball he can create, and he rebounds well. In a college style motion offense Melo kills, in the NBA iso game, he is just good because he cannot rely on athleticism, he only has his guile, which is substantial, but it leads to poor shooting nights.

I would love to see Melo with a true running mate, it is a real shame that he never buddied up with another superstar the last few years because I think with a bit of help, the Knicks are a top four team.

Maybe Melo needs to go elsewhere to achieve team glory.

I don't blame him at all for chucking up shots when Knicks' second option is Jr Smith... Hopefully they figure something out or not so Melo can come to the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    A big reason for the shot jacking is that his second best scorer is JR Smith. He hasn't had anybody worth passing to.

Not saying that's the only reason, but it definitely is a major reason.
    It's still not a reason to shot jack. Shot jacking hurts teams, not helps teams. This very same NY team is playing much better because of Melo's new playing style. It does not matter who your teammates are, ball movement will get better shots for the team as a whole than one player forcing it against heavy coverage, especially since Melo does not have the scoring ability of Jordan, Durant, Lebron, Shaq etc. Those guys can give you 30 ppg on high efficiency.

NBA lottery pick

He needs to go play with kobe next year.

Melo and amare for pau and Steve Nash and a first

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

OT, but maybe best Melo gif ever?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    It's still not a reason to shot jack. Shot jacking hurts teams, not helps teams. This very same NY team is playing much better because of Melo's new playing style. It does not matter who your teammates are, ball movement will get better shots for the team as a whole than one player forcing it against heavy coverage, especially since Melo does not have the scoring ability of Jordan, Durant, Lebron, Shaq etc. Those guys can give you 30 ppg on high efficiency.
    You do realize his 2nd option is averaging 11 pts a game on 35% shooting and his supposed defensive anchor is Andrea Bargani right?

Nice 2 game sample

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Melo needs to play like this but it is hard for him because he is really really good.

When he is on team USA it could be argued he is the best FIBA player on the planet (though this argument gets more difficult with Kevin Durant's recent FIBA exploits). He can score inside and out, he can move the ball he can create, and he rebounds well. In a college style motion offense Melo kills, in the NBA iso game, he is just good because he cannot rely on athleticism, he only has his guile, which is substantial, but it leads to poor shooting nights.

I would love to see Melo with a true running mate, it is a real shame that he never buddied up with another superstar the last few years because I think with a bit of help, the Knicks are a top four team.

Maybe Melo needs to go elsewhere to achieve team glory.
    Right on the money! Every player isn't a point forward and still get you 30 style guy like Bron. So u can't expect Melo to do that. As proven last year, the Knicks had a hell of a run. And Melo was 3rd in MVP voting last year. But I agree, I think Melo needs another true All Star kind of player to team up with. Which is a luxury most of the other top 10 guys in the league have.

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    You do realize his 2nd option is averaging 11 pts a game on 35% shooting and his supposed defensive anchor is Andrea Bargani right?

Nice 2 game sample
    Who cares about his 2nd option. That is completely irrelevant. Inefficient shot jacking is bad period. There is no way to deny this. Team ball is better for the entire team. This is a fundamental principle of basketball that has always and will always be true. Melo finally understood this and even admitted it and changed. Melo jacking up contested shot after contested shot is bad period. Team ball with nice ball movement results in better looks for everyone including Melo.

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    Right on the money! Every player isn't a point forward and still get you 30 style guy like Bron. So u can't expect Melo to do that. As proven last year, the Knicks had a hell of a run. And Melo was 3rd in MVP voting last year. But I agree, I think Melo needs another true All Star kind of player to team up with. Which is a luxury most of the other top 10 guys in the league have.
    It's not about being a point forward. If you have a bad shot just pass the ball. Get good team ball movement. Your pass does not directly have to be an assist. Ball stopping and jacking up some contested low percentage shot just hurts your team.

Coaches draw the plays for who gets the shots.