Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Default Trading Ban for US Lawmakers

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-u-s-lawmakers

Attempt to bar federal legislators and their family members from buying individual stocks.

And the Supreme Court remains oddly removed from stricter ethical guidelines and transparency, even though all of the justices either trade stocks, cash in on problematic book deals or accept pricey travel packages and expensive gifts.
    Can't count on the Supreme Court for this either. We have scary unprecedented levels of corruption. I'm a realist who accepts that some level of corruption in government is never going to go away, but are we too far gone?

Default Re: Trading Ban for US Lawmakers

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    I'm a realist who accepts that some level of corruption in government is never going to go away, but are we too far gone?

No shit, Sherlock.

And until humanity figures out a way to readily identify psychopaths and sociopaths with 100% certainty before letting them be assigned to positions of power, this cycle will continue indefinitely. And even then the psychos will just influence said positions from the outside. It would essentially take the ability to medically cure psychopathy, of which there is no known cure.

Good luck.

The only solution in the world we currently live in is reduced government and by extension, reduced government influence.

Bitcoin fixes this.

Psychopaths make up to 1% of the population. That is an INSANELY high number. Which means there are probably at least a couple that post here, maybe more.

To put that in perspective, that means that there are probably 3 million or more psychopaths walking around in the US today. 3 ****ing MILLION of these crazy ****ers. Holy shit. And guess where the psychopath capital of the U.S. is? You guessed it... Washington DC.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...merica-218892/

NBA sixth man of the year Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Republicans will oppose it because it goes against making more money for already rich people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32 View Post
    Republicans will oppose it because it goes against making more money for already rich people.
    It'll have bipartisan opposition.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/15/hous...s-members.html

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi scoffed at the idea of banning congressional lawmakers and their spouses from owning shares of individual companies.

yup. anything that threatens the gravy train will.

I'm a realist who accepts that some level of corruption in government is never going to go away, but are we too far gone?
    "Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too."

Marcus Aurelius

...good on ossoff for going up against pelosi and at least putting this bill in the spotlight. it'll at least get the media heads talking... to what extent though who knows.

it's funny how we give credit to politicians for something that should be a given in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    "Look back over the past, with its changing empires that rose and fell, and you can foresee the future, too."

Marcus Aurelius

...good on ossoff for going up against pelosi and at least putting this bill in the spotlight. it'll at least get the media heads talking... to what extent though who knows.

it's funny how we give credit to politicians for something that should be a given in the first place.
    For sure. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows it won't get passed, but since votes are public it really draws a line in the sand. Ossoff committed career suicide here.

No surprise, but it's very popular among voters.

Three in four voters support banning lawmakers from trading stocks: poll
    https://thehill.com/homenews/news/58...ng-stocks-poll

I wonder how much they care about what the people think.

The stock marketís not gonna be around forever.

People on the inside will know when its time is coming before people on the outside.

At some point Congress will cash out and leverage the ethics narrative. And then a few years later, there will be some major catastrophe that turns the public against the stock market as a general concept (probably some kind of major climate change scare or something) and the stock market will be abolished with the support of the common simpleton who is just anxiously lending his voice to the crowd after being shaken up by a big fear episode.

And around and around we go.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    The stock market’s not gonna be around forever.

People on the inside will know when its time is coming before people on the outside.

At some point Congress will cash out and leverage the ethics narrative. And then a few years later, there will be some major catastrophe that turns the public against the stock market as a general concept (probably some kind of major climate change scare or something) and the stock market will be abolished with the support of the common simpleton who is just anxiously lending his voice to the crowd after being shaken up by a big fear episode.

And around and around we go.
    Are you saying the Dow Jones won't be around forever or the stock market as a general concept?

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    No shit, Sherlock.

And until humanity figures out a way to readily identify psychopaths and sociopaths with 100% certainty before letting them be assigned to positions of power, this cycle will continue indefinitely. And even then the psychos will just influence said positions from the outside. It would essentially take the ability to medically cure psychopathy, of which there is no known cure.

Good luck.

The only solution in the world we currently live in is reduced government and by extension, reduced government influence.

Bitcoin fixes this.

Psychopaths make up to 1% of the population. That is an INSANELY high number. Which means there are probably at least a couple that post here, maybe more.

To put that in perspective, that means that there are probably 3 million or more psychopaths walking around in the US today. 3 ****ing MILLION of these crazy ****ers. Holy shit. And guess where the psychopath capital of the U.S. is? You guessed it... Washington DC.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...merica-218892/

Finally took a bit of time to sit down and read it. It's interesting, and I agree mostly with your points my only question would be on the logistics(for example how do we transfer to an alternative universal currency without making the wealth gap worse). But I agree, perfect world would be small govt, small businesses and a universal currency backed by the people themselves.

Finally took a bit of time to sit down and read it. It's interesting, and I agree mostly with your points my only question would be on the logistics(for example how do we transfer to an alternative universal currency without making the wealth gap worse). But I agree, perfect world would be small govt, small businesses and a universal currency backed by the people themselves.
    I'm about to be all over the place with the post, so bare with me.

You're never going to fix the wealth gap. There will always be people that are more able and talented than others. That is the harsh reality of life. And those people that are the most talented are the ones that should have the most resources, as we all benefit from it. Imagine a world in which Elon Musk has the same amount of money as myself... we'd all be worse off for it. Easily. Because I'm a dumb**** compared to that guy with most topics and general intelligence level. Not crypto, I wipe my ass with his knowledge there, but I digress, lol. Now, I realize you are just calling for a more narrow gap and not to close the gap, but the general idea remains the same. Unless we get to the point where we're comfortably modifying genetics during the insemination/incubation phase of humans, I don't think there's much to be done. But that aside, given today's laws of nature, I can't imagine a world with a "fixed wealth gap" that is as innovative as it currently is. People are self driven and self focused. To fight against this is to fight against something that makes us human. Everything that everyone does is out of self interest whether consciously realized or not. If you limit the ability of individuals to be ambitious, you limit and stifle innovation.

On top of all of that, human beings are wired to compare their situations to others. Most human beings, especially in America, live infinitely more comfortable lives than they did hundreds and thousands of years ago and yet it's arguable that people have never been unhappier than they are today for reasons that most of them probably can't properly articulate and can't identify. Even if we create some "utopia" where we have self repairing and self manufacturing robot slaves that do all work for us, a large number of people will always look to those that have more and be unhappy with their current situation.

But indeed, there are problems where companies that were once great corner the market and eventually get taken over by leeches that bleed it dry until it dies and we all suffer for it in the mean time because of said company's realm of influence before its eventual and deserved demise as a result of dropping off. What to do, what to do? I think you have to take the power of the money supply out of the hands of government or any central body so that special interests can't run things behind the scenes and that these companies go out of business faster.

Bitcoin is our best shot at creating as "fair" of a world as nature will allow in its current form, in my not humble opinion. It will reduce the size of federal government to be the will of the people and nothing more over time and it will cut politicians off at the knees that keep the system going in certain directions for special interests. Unfortunately, I find it highly improbable that I will live long enough to see this. But I hope that within a generation, it will come to fruition.

If there is a solution to the problem of people being unhappy with their level of wealth(because this is always relative to others... as I said, we live more comfortably than we ever have), I assure you I am far too stupid to think of it.

You're never going to fix the wealth gap. There will always be people that are more able and talented than others. That is the harsh reality of life. And those people that are the most talented are the ones that should have the most resources, as we all benefit from it. Imagine a world in which Elon Musk has the same amount of money as myself... we'd all be worse off for it. Easily. Because I'm a dumb**** compared to that guy with most topics and general intelligence level. Not crypto, I wipe my ass with his knowledge there, but I digress, lol. Now, I realize you are just calling for a more narrow gap and not to close the gap, but the general idea remains the same. Unless we get to the point where we're comfortably modifying genetics during the insemination/incubation phase of humans, I don't think there's much to be done. But that aside, given today's laws of nature, I can't imagine a world with a "fixed wealth gap" that is as innovative as it currently is. People are self driven and self focused. To fight against this is to fight against something that makes us human. Everything that everyone does is out of self interest whether consciously realized or not. If you limit the ability of individuals to be ambitious, you limit and stifle innovation.

On top of all of that, human beings are wired to compare their situations to others. Most human beings, especially in America, live infinitely more comfortable lives than they did hundreds and thousands of years ago and yet it's arguable that people have never been unhappier than they are today for reasons that most of them probably can't properly articulate and can't identify. Even if we create some "utopia" where we have self repairing and self manufacturing robot slaves that do all work for us, a large number of people will always look to those that have more and be unhappy with their current situation.

But indeed, there are problems where companies that were once great corner the market and eventually get taken over by leeches that bleed it dry until it dies and we all suffer for it in the mean time because of said company's realm of influence before its eventual and deserved demise as a result of dropping off. What to do, what to do? I think you have to take the power of the money supply out of the hands of government or any central body so that special interests can't run things behind the scenes and that these companies go out of business faster.

Bitcoin is our best shot at creating as "fair" of a world as nature will allow in its current form, in my not humble opinion. It will reduce the size of federal government to be the will of the people and nothing more over time and it will cut politicians off at the knees that keep the system going in certain directions for special interests. [/B] Unfortunately, I find it highly improbable that I will live long enough to see this. But I hope that within a generation, it will come to fruition.

If there is a solution to the problem of people being unhappy with their level of wealth(because this is always relative to others... as I said, we live more comfortably than we ever have), I assure you I am far too stupid to think of it.

https://www.patreon.com/TofP

Bitcoin is our best shot at creating as "fair" of a world as nature will allow in its current form, in my not humble opinion. It will reduce the size of federal government to be the will of the people and nothing more over time and it will cut politicians off at the knees that keep the system going in certain directions for special interests. Unfortunately, I find it highly improbable that I will live long enough to see this. But I hope that within a generation, it will come to fruition.

Obviously theres always going to be some kind of wealth gap, you're right that some people are more talented and/or driven than others. I dont think anyone is saying that Jeff Bezos should have the same amount of money as you, but most sane people would agree that theres something wrong with Bezos making himself one of the richest people on the planet while he has tens of hundreds of thousands of employees earning $15/hr or less as they work hellish 12hr shifts in his warehouses.

The current level of wealth inequality in this country is obscene and unsustainable, and if we continue to let the ultra-rich gorge themselves on this nations wealth, the US is going to lose its middle class and this country is going to end up looking like Brazil or Mexico.

Learning to shoot layups

Shogon suffers Bitcoin Derangement Syndrome.