Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default The Incredibly Satisfying Death of Disney

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Default Re: The Incredibly Satisfying Death of Disney

Don't let home made YouTube videos fool you. Disney is an absolute beast with growing revenue.

They own a ton of shit and not all of their ventures can be winners, so they might be taking some Ls here and there and forced to sell the failed assets, but overall they are still a massive power house and making huge profits.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Of course Off the Court would come running to contradict and defend his Woke masters.

I rule the local playground

Lol Disney aint going anywhere. They will still be the powerhouse they currently are (probably even more down the road)

- Has there been lots of trash movies from Disney recently? Yes, but that won't shift the balance of power

This whole strike incident? It will be resolved and no one would really gives a shit about it in 2-3 years.

The public has short term memory and will move on complaining about the next trending event

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Of course Off the Court would come running to contradict and defend his Woke masters.
    Even you, who wakes up every morning with a woke hangover from obsessing on wokeness every day, watched Kenobi

Imagine being pro-capitalism and whining about Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGoat4Life View Post
    This whole strike incident? It will be resolved and no one would really gives a shit about it in 2-3 years.
    It depends. With all the craps the world has suffered since the pandemic, writers and actors' demands may be a bit too steep for the strike being resolved quickly. But after the deal is reached, yes, nobody will remember til the next strike.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post
    Even you, who wakes up every morning with a woke hangover from obsessing on wokeness every day, watched Kenobi
    In order to claim that something is woke garbage, one has to watch woke garbage first. You're confusing boycotting Disney all together and stating that their product is woke garbage.

And what's your excuse for all the massive Disney layoffs??

Hard to say.

Disney is primarily a youth oriented brand. But people who HAVE money to spend on their kids are generally having fewer kids. Disney went woke in part to capitalize on the high youth populations in Africa and the Middle East, but those countries are being rapidly left behind by inflation and automation. Doesnt matter how popular Disney becomes in Ghana if the whole population is starving. Theres no profit to be made.

Theyre probably gonna have to hope grown men in the developed world still want the basic fantasy stuff they put out, and theyll also need everyday Americans to still wanna sit and watch Dancing With the Stars on Wednesday night, a WNBA game on Thursday Night, and The View on Friday morning.

Will they? I dunno. Wont surprise me if they do, wont surprise me if they stop.

In the very long term, (which at this stage of humanity can be considered 20 years or more), society will simply not function in a way conducive for Disney to profit from. The company may still exist, but all corporate business models will be changed by then and probably will not compete for profits in a direct sense.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 07-26-2023 at 11:16 AM.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Off the Court View Post

Don't let home made YouTube videos fool you. Disney is an absolute beast with growing revenue.

They own a ton of shit and not all of their ventures can be winners, so they might be taking some Ls here and there and forced to sell the failed assets, but overall they are still a massive power house and making huge profits.

Revenue doesn’t equal profits though. And the biggest measure of success/failure of a public company is its stock price and at the current price the stock is close to the lows it had in the middle of the Covid lockdowns. Over the last 5 and 10 year periods it has significantly underperformed the market and all that underperformance came in the last 1 1/2 or so. If you bought the stock at the Covid lows, you’d be up 5-7% right now. If you bought the SP500 at the Covid low, you’d be up over 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuddywebby View Post
    Revenue doesn’t equal profits though. And the biggest measure of success/failure of a public company is its stock price and at the current price the stock is close to the lows it had in the middle of the Covid lockdowns. Over the last 5 and 10 year periods it has significantly underperformed the market and all that underperformance came in the last 1 1/2 or so. If you bought the stock at the Covid lows, you’d be up 5-7% right now. If you bought the SP500 at the Covid low, you’d be up over 100%.
    5 seconds trip to Google and found this graph:

Yeah, it was going great for Disney until the pandemic hit.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Hard to say.

Disney is primarily a youth oriented brand. But people who HAVE money to spend on their kids are generally having fewer kids. Disney went woke in part to capitalize on the high youth populations in Africa and the Middle East, but those countries are being rapidly left behind by inflation and automation. Doesnt matter how popular Disney becomes in Ghana if the whole population is starving. Theres no profit to be made.

Theyre probably gonna have to hope grown men in the developed world still want the basic fantasy stuff they put out, and theyll also need everyday Americans to still wanna sit and watch Dancing With the Stars on Wednesday night, a WNBA game on Thursday Night, and The View on Friday morning.

Will they? I dunno. Wont surprise me if they do, wont surprise me if they stop.

In the very long term, (which at this stage of humanity can be considered 20 years or more), society will simply not function in a way conducive for Disney to profit from. The company may still exist, but all corporate business models will be changed by then and probably will not compete for profits in a direct sense.
    You're a wise man. But what do you mean by "corporate business models will be changed" and "will not compete for profits in a direct sense"? I haven't much knowledge of economics, but why would things change? What's coming?

If I was running the show, I'd pull back on the "woke" stuff. I would bring back the token era in cinema for a while to rebuild the brand. The main characters of tentpole franchises - animated and live-action - would all be white males and females. Not because I'm racist but because of audience demographics and economics.

Save the "woke" stuff for the Oscar-bait films and arthouse stuff. At least until the brand recovers somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    You're a wise man. But what do you mean by "corporate business models will be changed" and "will not compete for profits in a direct sense"? I haven't much knowledge of economics, but why would things change? What's coming?

More details available on Patreon…

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by BurningHammer View Post
    5 seconds trip to Google and found this graph:

Yeah, it was going great for Disney until the pandemic hit.
    I don’t even really care about the work stuff, at least in movies. If they want a black Snow White and no dwarves, don’t care, the market will tell them if it was a good idea or not. What does bother me about Disney (and Apple and Tesla and…) is their insistent genuflection in front of the Chinese altar.

Musk did an interview recently and was asked about Taiwan/China. He responded that we don’t need to read between the lines, China is telling us that they will reunite Taiwan with the Mainland so it’s only a matter of time. So knowing this and again, so do a bunch of other very large American companies, they still bow down to China and change movies, give up technology, put cash in the government coffers etc. You can make the case that Taiwan Semiconductor is one of the top 5 most important companies in the world. Why are these American companies happily enriching a government that does what China does? Will Musk and Tim Cook be on the front lines defending Taiwan when the time comes? In the last 10 years or so, the Chinese military has grown 5x. We are basically funding a military that we may one day need to face. That’s a bit of a bigger problem than woke movies.