Page 88 of 90 FirstFirst ... 3878858687888990 LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1336

Thread: Football

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: NFL Season Discussion Thread: 2023

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Yea you can't do that at all now, especially on a quarterback. They'll review any plays regarding helmet-to-helmet contact and if it's deemed that the defender didn't make an effort to avoid it or that the offensive player was "defenseless" to the hit then it's an automatic ejection and hefty fine.

If that hit on Montana occurred today to then that defender would likely be suspended for the entire season. Not even a penalty then.

On top of that though, defenders also can't tackle quarterbacks low in the pocket. That rule was installed when someone dove at Brady's knees in the first game back in 08. Tore his ACL and he was out for the year. The NFL obviously decided that that was bad for business. But given that, now you can't hit quarterbacks above the shoulders or below the waist.

That's why it's kind of tough to compare guys like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, etc. to dudes in the 80s. It's a lot easier to play the position when you aren't worried about being blasted in the head or having your legs taken out from under you every time you drop back.

You should watch some tape on Montana though. If he played now I would liken him to Drew Brees but with more size, quicker feet in the pocket, and a slightly stronger arm.
    Good post. I see people slightly acknowledge that it was tougher to play QB back then but people don’t truly grasp it I feel.

Also the no head to head hits and the “defenseless receiver” rule has made it easier to work the middle of the field

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Good post. I see people slightly acknowledge that it was tougher to play QB back then but people don’t truly grasp it I feel.

Also the no head to head hits and the “defenseless receiver” rule has made it easier to work the middle of the field
    I forget who it was because it's been a couple years, but I was listening to someone who played talk about how there is absolutely nothing that separates someone like Joe Kelly from Joe Burrow when you actually watch the film.

You made a good point about play in the middle of the field. This guy noted that more often that that quarterbacks firstly were only dropping back in obvious passing situations opening them up to vulnerabilities with the blitz (and aforementioned lack of rules that protects quarterbacks), but also the only routes being run were deep outs, posts, and comebacks. They probability of completion on these are so much lower.

I forget who it was because it's been a couple years, but I was listening to someone who played talk about how there is absolutely nothing that separates someone like Joe Kelly from Joe Burrow when you actually watch the film.

You made a good point about play in the middle of the field. This guy noted that more often that that quarterbacks firstly were only dropping back in obvious passing situations opening them up to vulnerabilities with the blitz (and aforementioned lack of rules that protects quarterbacks), but also the only routes being run were deep outs, posts, and comebacks. They probability of completion on these are so much lower.
    Sounds about right. Was this a broadcaster or sports radio or a video/podcast? If you can remember what it was I would be interested in a link.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Sounds about right. Was this a broadcaster or sports radio or a video/podcast? If you can remember what it was I would be interested in a link.
    Podcast. I think was on Russilo's a few years ago.

Edit: Did a little digging and it was actually Trent Dilfer. I don’t know the exact interview because russilo used to have him on regularly on Mondays during football season. He can be cringey and is certainly opinionated but he has a lot of great insights to the position.
    Last edited by ShawkFactory; 02-22-2024 at 09:29 PM.

Podcast. I think was on Russilo's a few years ago.

Edit: Did a little digging and it was actually Trent Dilfer. I don’t know the exact interview because russilo used to have him on regularly on Mondays during football season. He can be cringey and is certainly opinionated but he has a lot of great insights to the position.
    Alright. Thank you.

Default Re: Football

Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeAcc. View Post

When trailing by 7 points in the playoffs.

Brady is 10-11 in such situations.

I know Brady fans would love to pull the "moar clutch" argument like Kobe fans tried to do against LeBron, but unfortunately Mahomes is arguably the most clutch athlete in sports history up until this point. He is 1 win away from tying Brady in wins when his team trails by at least 7 during the playoffs, in half the games in that scenario.

There is, quite literally, not a single aspect of the game that you can say Brady is better than Mahomes at on an individual basis. 7 rings and longevity is it at this point

This is what he was doing in one of those losses:

The only time Mahomes didn't come through in the playoffs was the loss to the Bengals, where after a brilliant first half he was legitimately awful in the 2nd half, capping it off with a pick in OT.

He certainly didn't play well against the Bucs but he was under duress the entire game, so I can give him a pass for that.

NBA rookie of the year AlternativeAcc.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    The only time Mahomes didn't come through in the playoffs was the loss to the Bengals, where after a brilliant first half he was legitimately awful in the 2nd half, capping it off with a pick in OT.

He certainly didn't play well against the Bucs but he was under duress the entire game, so I can give him a pass for that.
    That was the worst I've ever seen him play for sure

The problem in that game was they basically dropped 8 in coverage and nobody was getting open. Reid failed to adjust and run the ball more.

Also that pick in OT was a perfectly thrown ball, as good as it could've been thrown, but a great defensive play and lucky bounce

Again, I say this as someone who has Peyton Manning on his Mount Rushmore of favorite athletes of all time..Brady DID just have that little extra "it" factor. It wasn't always apparent when their primes overlapped, which is why it was such a huge argument at them time with both he and Peyton from 04-10 and then both of them from 2010-2017 or so.

But if my life was on the line in a game, drive, or play then Brady is the guy I'm picking. Regardless of what the cast is and the quarterbacks respective relationship with their teammates and coaching staff. He just isn't going to give up and will make things very difficult. He brought it in the biggest moments always and on top of that was of course incredible at all the general boxes you tick when discussing quarterbacks other than scrambling ability.

Montana was similar but he did things never seen before from a maneuverability standpoint in the pocket and also with that clutch gene as well. The game was very different back then and far more violent for QBs than it is now. He got taken out of an NFC Championship game one time on a hit that would have the defender borderline expelled from the NFL.

He dealt with injuries pretty consistently but when he was healthy you could almost book a Super Bowl ticket for them. And he paved the way for how to master the position for future generations.
    This hit too...

You can’t unload on a QB like this anymore, you need to tackle but you can't go to the head nor to his legs. That's why you really can't compare the old school QBs to the modern QBs. QBs today don't need to worry about getting taken out...that's a huge advantage for today's QB.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

philly's kouch'er retires .. will affect offensive front line

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter
    Former Giants RB Saquon Barkley reached agreement with the Philadelphia Eagles on a three-year, $37.75 million contract that could be worth up to $46.75M and includes $26M fully guaranteed at signing, per sources.

Barkley now beats the franchise tag number and has a maximum average-per-year salary of $15.833M, which would be second highest for a RB in NFL History.
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...59701186543678

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    The #Bears are expected to sign former #Eagles starting RB D’Andre Swift as their new starting running back, per me and @MikeGarafolo

He gets a 3-year, $24M deal.
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1767222003646316600

Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter
    Former Dolphins DT Christian Wilkins is signing a 4-year, $110 million base value deal that includes $84.75M million guaranteed with the Raiders, per his agent @DavidMulugheta
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...40534551126238

Dov Kleiman
    @NFL_DovKleiman
    𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚: Kirk Cousins is agreeing to a 4-year deal with the #Falcons
    https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/s...55894553755732

Tom Pelissero
    @TomPelissero
    The #Falcons are signing Kirk Cousins to a four-year, $180 million contract that includes a $50M signing bonus, per sources.

Another monster payday for Cousins, who gets $100 guaranteed — $90M in 2024 and ‘25, plus another $10M in 2026 — and a fresh start in Atlanta at age 35.
    https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/sta...61025324134892

Ian Rapoport
    @RapSheet
    The #Packers are expected to sign Josh Jacobs, source tell me and @TomPelissero
    https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1767250436216512798

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter
    Nine-time Pro-Bowl QB and former Super-Bowl champ Russell Wilson plans to sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per league sources. Wilson will sign a team-friendly, one-year deal in which the Broncos will wind up paying $38 million of his salary while Wilson wears the black and yellow.
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...31634728034531

Dianna Russini
    @DMRussini
    The Dallas Cowboys were in on RB Tony Pollard. The Giants and Vikings had their eye on him too. He took the bigger payday with Tennessee, per sources.
    https://twitter.com/DMRussini/status...32383818817787

Barkley in green is going to look so odd and facing the Giants 4 times per year lol

The Patriots better draft Marvin Harrison Jr. at 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450 View Post
    The Patriots better draft Marvin Harrison Jr. at 3.
    Looks like they are going qb with Mac jones gone. Which decent QB is available in FA anyways?