Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default OT: movies post / Tarantino is overrated.

This topic is a 2 in 1. First of all, favorite movies:

Death to Smoochy
    Bandits
    The Terminal
    Memento
    Snatch
    Good Morning Vietnam
    Dodgeball
    About a Boy
    Big Fish
    edit: I forgot these 3:
    Catch Me If You Can
    Road to Perdition
    Collateral

post yours. discuss.

Second of all, Quentin Tarantino sucks. "ooh look at me, I'm more hip than you. I film all my scenes seperately, just like any other director, but then I present them to you COMPLETELY OUT OF ORDER!" oh my freakin GOD, what a prodigy. Nothing's worse than a smug director who thinks much too much of himself. Now any director who presents things out of order, or makes a movie that's not quite serious, not quite parody, is "Tarantino-esque."

Snatch only took one try to make the movie that Tarantino has been desperately trying to put together in his first 3 efforts. It's short, snappy, hilarious, comes at you, got its fair share of action, keeps you guessing. And it doesn't have some overweening ego looming over its every move.

Reservoir Dogs: "hey, look at me. I'm a ****in' gangster! and this is how I ****in' talk! I'm a ****in' gangster and this is how we ****in' talk!" ok, ok, we get it, now can you ****in' go somewhere? plot: guy will tip this time, but he usually doesn't. Bam, another guy gets shot. He's in pain, but he's comforted for about 20 minutes. Then 2 guys argue in a bathroom for about 30 minutes. Then they capture a cop. Guys who try to torture him get shot. Then I take the DVD out of my computer and regret that I spent a whopping 8 dollars on this DVD. That's about 2/3 of the movie I made it through.

Pulp Fiction: decent only because Samuel L Jackson's character is immensely quotable and it never gets old. You can connect that character's personality to anything and get a laugh. Back are the random, long conversations about essentially nothing ("royale with cheese", etc). There's nothing really bad about this movie I just don't get what all the fuss is about. It's three stories in one being thrown together out of order. With a bunch of tricks. That's it. Once the style wears off there isn't anything left. Tarantino throws the most intriguing plotlines he could think up, youthful style and wit, a few random tangents he thought of and compulsively forced into the script all into this movie with no sense of closure. What's the big deal? It's smug showoff filmaking and it tries too damn hard.

Kill Bill: and it's official: just when it looks like he's about to turn potential into results, bam, his ego takes over and produces this incredible self-indulgent piece of crap. "written by and directed by Quentin Tarantino." "a Quentin Tarantino film" "hey! I'm QUENTIN TARANTINO! I'm a legend, and I made this movie." Where do I begin? First of all I don't think there's a single acting performance in this one that I bought. There's no character development at all. All of the central character's lines are completely cliched. Each scene is filmed in a unique style, it seems as if Q spent more time coming up with each scene's style than its entertainment. This guy's ego is so bloated that he can't edit any of his wonderful scenes, and so he had to split this barely-one-movie into two editions, so that he could make double the money off this signiture procession of gimmicks.
    Last edited by geeWiz15; 07-18-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Banned

Dodgeball
    No.
    About a Boy
    Not my favourite movie, but it is underrated.

You must have had a cork the size of a moose in your mouth to post all that hate in one post.

My favourite:

1. Bourne Supremacy/Bourne Identity
    3. White Men Can't Jump

NBA Superstar

i haven't really watched many of his movies. they don't interest me.

as for favourite movies.

-lord of the rings trilogy
    -zoolander
    -forest gump
    -night of the hunter
    -face off
    -sin city
    -a time to kill
    -scarface
    -the wizard of oz (watched it every day in gr.1 literally)
    -vertigo
    -rudy
    -bourne series (can't believe i forgot them)
    -i robot
    -ocean's 11
    -training day
    -grand illusion
    -dark city
    -matrix
    -taking lives
    -dazed and confused
    -fear and loathing in las vegas
    Last edited by i seen hippos; 07-20-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Local High School Star

I don't care how the fauk Tarintino acts his movies are fauking awesome. Everyone I've seen has been good except Kill bill 2.

Pulp Fiction 8/10
    Reservoir Dogs 9/10
    Kill Bill 6/10
    Kill Bill 2 3/10

Fav. movies

Harold and KUMAR go to White Castle
    Wedding Crashers
    Topper Returns

The fact that you hated Resevoir Dogs (easily QT's best movie) and thought Pulp Fiction was ok, along with having Big Fish, Dodgeball, & the Terminal on the favorite movies list invalidates your opinion.

It appears the SATs do not measure good taste.

Banned

You must have had a cork the size of a moose in your mouth to post all that hate in one post.
    No, I'm just livid because I just got through watching Reservoir Dogs, hearing it was a classic and Tarantino's best movie, and after how mad I was after the Kill Bills and disappointed at PF, I had to let it out.

The fact that you hated Resevoir Dogs and thought Pulp Fiction was ok, along with having Big Fish, Dodgeball, & the Terminal on the favorite movies list invalidates your opinion.
    I'm not saying they're the BEST movies, I know they're not, but they are my favorite. My "best" movies ever aren't my favorite, and if everyone listed the "best" we'd all list the same movies and that wouldn't be any fun.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Bourne
    I hate to go OT, but Bourne, have you read the books Identity and Supremecy? Quite possibly my favourite trilogy of books (along with LOTR), along with Ultimatum. And The Bourne Legacy after that was great too.

Local High School Star

Terminal has some awesome acting!!!!!!!!Tom Hanks talking in a diff. language!!!!!!!! Some real character development in that Airport eh ???????wooowyyyy. Oscar ..did he win won for that role?

Banned

I'd say the best movies, off the top of the head, that I've seen, no order:

-Rear Window
    -Memento
    -Gump
    -Angels w/ Dirty Faces
    -LOTR trilogy
    -Godfather I and II
    -Batman Begins
    -Taxi Driver
    -Casablanca
    -Terminator 2
    -Road to Perdition
    -About a Boy

Yes I'm serious about the last one. If you haven't seen it, do it. Contemporary movies that don't overdo it are allowed to be classics too.
    Last edited by geeWiz15; 07-18-2006 at 08:58 PM.

NBA Superstar

rear window is ok, but vertigo and psycho are better hitchcock movies imo.

Banned

Terminal has some awesome acting!!!!!!!!Tom Hanks talking in a diff. language!!!!!!!! Some real character development in that Airport eh ???????wooowyyyy. Oscar ..did he win won for that role?
    Youre weird so I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but his acting was awesome, the movie is hilarious especially if you've been screwed by a bureacracy and know somebody like Viktor, he wasn't actually speaking Russian, and no he didn't win anything.

I think that's my 2nd fav movie ever after Bandits. It's so crazy underrated.

edit: just today I was shopping for DVDs at blockbuster, 3 for 20 bucks, and I saw Terminal on sale for $4.99. It's tough to see one of your favorite movies ever on the 5 dollar bargain bin, surrounded with crap like The Clearing, Shall We Dance, Birth, Date Movie and the new Zorro.

rear window is ok, but vertigo and psycho are better hitchcock movies imo.
    I haven't seen Vertigo and Psycho was sort of boring to me, I guess due to the combination of hype and me knowing what was going to happen and the total stretch of a surprise ending.
    Last edited by geeWiz15; 07-18-2006 at 09:03 PM.

There is a serious lack of Stanley Kubrick in this thread.

Tom Hanks didn't talk in a different language, my mom knows russian...she liked the movie but thought it was a pitiful how Hanks spoke russian.

She had no clue what he said half the time...

Good college starter TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar

You guys got some pretty terrible tastes when it comes to flicks.

Did someone really bame face off and forrest gump as some of the best movies ever?

Tarantino gets overrated by people like the ones in this thread calling him overrated. It's weird how it works. It's like once the meatheads and dumb kids got ahold of his movies, he started getting overrated, now it's like they all turned against him so now he's underrated. It's like what happened earlier this decade with the band Limp Bizkit. They were always terrible but the meatheads liked them, then the meatheads started to hate them. It's just people going with fads.

Tarantino is one of the best screenwriters of all time. I put him up there with William Goldman, Paul Schrader, Oliver Stone, David Mamet, Spike Lee, Pedro Almodovar, and (early) Woody Allen. He's in the mix with those guys (Who are all below the best screenwriter of all time, Billy Wilder) He's a film geek that knows movies and it shows. His movies are some of the most refreshing films of all time and Pulp Fiction may be the greatest screenplay ever written.

His directing skills are suspect at times, but the underrated Jackie Brown shows that he is a true whiz of the cinema and knows his stuff and genres.