NBA Legend

Default Memorial Day appreciation and perspective thread

First of all, happy Memorial Day to all, and especially to those whove served in the armed forces.

It's nice to have a holiday. Throughout most of civilized history, holidays are quite a rarity. As Hobbes observed, the natural state of man's life is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

We've come a long way here in America, to where most of our 21st Century, First World problems seem frivolous in comparison to the hardships of yesteryear. A multitude of institutions have to contributed to this, but I think in modernity the one taken most for granted is perhaps the military. In school we're taught in great detail about the wonders of modern democracy. We learn about the effect of capitalism on economic advancement. We study the Bill of Rights and the guarantees to all citizens that were boldly pioneered by the American Constitution.

But often school children are not taught in much detail about the reality of how we maintain such an ideal society. These things dont just happen by politely asking everyone to hold hands and to please do their part and trusting them to play by the rules. There are plenty of countries on Earth that would love to be able to overrun America and claim it as their own, and enact a government with far fewer freedoms than what we enjoy today. There are countries today that would wish to conquer the entirety of their continents and be able to subjugate the US economically from a distance.

The primary reason they are unable to do so is the US Military. Fact. The US Military is trained and prepared to go to war on behalf of all of us. IMO, anyone who has never been to war, myself included, is inherently sheltered. War must truly be hell, as it is said. And again, for most of human existence, war and early demise were simply a given. The Vikings could show up on your shores in the middle of any given night and BAM, youre dead or enslaved. And you went to bed EVERY NIGHT knowing this was a possibility. Bloodthirsty Arab Saracens could invade your country and inflict horrific torture on you and your family at the drop of a hat, and there was nothing to stop them, except whatever armament your community had. And if you wanted to defend your hut and your children and your village, you had to fight. And youd probably die. This was humanity for THOUSANDS of years and in some parts of the world it still is. In World War I you and your three good natured best buddies might go down to city hall and enlist. Four months later you go into battle and see your three lifelong friends have their heads blown off, or their throats slit, or decay from some nasty disease. The psychological scars left are unimaginable.

People in America still make this sacrifice. And of course, some people go into the military for personal reasons, economic stability and so forth moreso than a personal devotion to any patriotic ideals and whatnot, but thats no different than doctors, police men, teachers, and the vast majority of social occupations. It doesnt mean we ought appreciate their work any less. And it doesnt mean we have to agree with every conflict the US engages in, nor absolve the military from rebuke when it engages in corrupt practices. It is always possible to acknowledge the flaws in a mechanism while still appreciating its overall function. And it seems like these days we spend most days each year dissecting the flaws, but on a day like Memorial Day I think it is important to balance our perspective by really taking inventory of the true magnitude of our military men and womens impact on the quality of life we all are fortunate enough to be provided, and many times take for granted.

Thank you, veterans! Happy Memorial Day!

Banned

Default Re: Memorial Day appreciation and perspective thread

Props for killing all of those innocent people. You guys are some real heroes!!

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverHeat
    Props for killing all of those innocent people. You guys are some real heroes!!

Hopefully one of them will add you to the tally

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Hopefully one of them will add you to the tally
    reported

well said OP...

God Bless America....the greatest country ever.

thanks to all who served.

I ain't reading that shit

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    I ain't reading that shit

Nikka please, you already read it twice by now.

NBA Legend

Just a bump for any resident vets who may not have seen it earlier.

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Memorial Day appreciation and perspective thread

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    First of all, happy Memorial Day to all, and especially to those whove served in the armed forces.

It's nice to have a holiday. Throughout most of civilized history, holidays are quite a rarity. As Hobbes observed, the natural state of man's life is solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

We've come a long way here in America, to where most of our 21st Century, First World problems seem frivolous in comparison to the hardships of yesteryear. A multitude of institutions have to contributed to this, but I think in modernity the one taken most for granted is perhaps the military. In school we're taught in great detail about the wonders of modern democracy. We learn about the effect of capitalism on economic advancement. We study the Bill of Rights and the guarantees to all citizens that were boldly pioneered by the American Constitution.

But often school children are not taught in much detail about the reality of how we maintain such an ideal society. These things dont just happen by politely asking everyone to hold hands and to please do their part and trusting them to play by the rules. There are plenty of countries on Earth that would love to be able to overrun America and claim it as their own, and enact a government with far fewer freedoms than what we enjoy today. There are countries today that would wish to conquer the entirety of their continents and be able to subjugate the US economically from a distance.

The primary reason they are unable to do so is the US Military. Fact. The US Military is trained and prepared to go to war on behalf of all of us. IMO, anyone who has never been to war, myself included, is inherently sheltered. War must truly be hell, as it is said. And again, for most of human existence, war and early demise were simply a given. The Vikings could show up on your shores in the middle of any given night and BAM, youre dead or enslaved. And you went to bed EVERY NIGHT knowing this was a possibility. Bloodthirsty Arab Saracens could invade your country and inflict horrific torture on you and your family at the drop of a hat, and there was nothing to stop them, except whatever armament your community had. And if you wanted to defend your hut and your children and your village, you had to fight. And youd probably die. This was humanity for THOUSANDS of years and in some parts of the world it still is. In World War I you and your three good natured best buddies might go down to city hall and enlist. Four months later you go into battle and see your three lifelong friends have their heads blown off, or their throats slit, or decay from some nasty disease. The psychological scars left are unimaginable.

People in America still make this sacrifice. And of course, some people go into the military for personal reasons, economic stability and so forth moreso than a personal devotion to any patriotic ideals and whatnot, but thats no different than doctors, police men, teachers, and the vast majority of social occupations. It doesnt mean we ought appreciate their work any less. And it doesnt mean we have to agree with every conflict the US engages in, nor absolve the military from rebuke when it engages in corrupt practices. It is always possible to acknowledge the flaws in a mechanism while still appreciating its overall function. And it seems like these days we spend most days each year dissecting the flaws, but on a day like Memorial Day I think it is important to balance our perspective by really taking inventory of the true magnitude of our military men and womens impact on the quality of life we all are fortunate enough to be provided, and many times take for granted.

Thank you, veterans! Happy Memorial Day!
    Great post. Good read. Thread repped

Always go back to Lincoln at Gettysburg. No one has ever said it better.

I truly respect all the soldiers that gave their lives for the ideals of freedom, justice, etc that we hold dear in USA and other democratic nations around the world. I wish this would become not just a holiday in USA but all democratic nations.

This also makes me hope there comes a day when soldiers no longer have to give up something as precious as their lives for those very ideals. I wish everyone around the world would embrace those ideals (i.e. freedom, justice, etc) and show respect to the wonders of life. There is too much hate, violence, anger out there and lack of respect.

I don't want to come across as a pacifist because there are times when you have to fight for what you believe in, but I'm not one that supports humanity's need to quickly respond with violence. I'm a man of peace first and foremost - even I get angry and emotional over disagreements with others, but I'm strongly against violence as a solution. It makes me sick and disappointed in humanity to see humanity resort to an endless cycle of violence.

This is something I posted on facebook, and I wanted to share this view here as well.

R.I.P. members of armed forces that lost their lives and hope for a better tomorrow