Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Banned

Default Re: Why don't people admit Kobe>>>>Jordan when it comes to dunking

Here is a good video of both of them with great music.

Purely Kobe gets the nod over MJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJvm6MdH_B8

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by havoc33
    Dude, Jordan's 360's sucked. Here is his 360 dunk from the 85 SDC...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpg4XYa4Bi8

Kobe did way better 360's than that IN GAME. I'm not saying Kobe is a better dunker though, just that they both had strenghts and weaknesses. Jordan liked to hang in the air and extend, which is why his 360's never looked particularly good. He probably didn't practice them as much either. Jordan's in game two handed reverse dunks were also inferior to Kobe's. Jordan is obviously a much better dunk contest dunker overall, and Kobe never had the same leaping ability as him. But Kobe was creative and he certainly maximized his dunking potential as far as he could IN GAME. Jordan never did any baseline reverse windmills for example, or behind the back reverse dunks. Then again, Kobe could not ever hope to achieve a rock the cradle breakaway like MJ did either.
    Almost everything people type about Kobe is utterly subjective. It's about aesthetic preference.

Whereas MJ's dunks were better because we could measure the distance, the height of how they were done, ie. Kobe never dunked from as far or got as high.

And in the same token as "MJ never did a reverse windmill dunk", Kobe never took off from the same distance, Kobe never never got the same height on his dunks, never rocked the one handed leaning windmill, the leaners, the one handed double pump, the two handed double pump over a crowd of defenders, rock the cradle from just inside the ft line, etc.etc.

Kobe also never skied over his defenders as much as MJ (not close). His dunks on people are mostly with him just getting over the rim. Another thing, MJ has more dunks ON body to body contact than Kobe.

Matter of fact, there's many dunks that MJ pulled off simply because he's a superior leaper that Kobe wouldn't be able to do because Kobe has to gather himself. Kobe would need that extra dribble to gather himself whereas MJ would just jump and dunk. Most of them are in transition or after making a move.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Almost everything people type about Kobe is utterly subjective. It's about aesthetic preference.

Whereas MJ's dunks were better because we could measure the distance, the height of how they were done, ie. Kobe never dunked from as far or got as high.

And in the same token as "MJ never did a reverse windmill dunk", Kobe never took off from the same distance, Kobe never never got the same height on his dunks, never rocked the one handed leaning windmill, the leaners, the one handed double pump, the two handed double pump over a crowd of defenders, rock the cradle from just inside the ft line, etc.etc.

Kobe also never skied over his defenders as much as MJ (not close). His dunks on people are mostly with him just getting over the rim. Another thing, MJ has more dunks ON body to body contact than Kobe.

Matter of fact, there's many dunks that MJ pulled off simply because he's a superior leaper that Kobe wouldn't be able to do because Kobe has to gather himself. Kobe would need that extra dribble to gather himself whereas MJ would just jump and dunk. Most of them are in transition or after making a move.
    LOL. So with all that you are actually saying that you agree with me then.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

LOL. So with all that you are actually saying that you agree with me then.
    Yes and no.

I agree with some of your points, but disagreed with others.

Kobe also perfected the baseline reverse (windmill) slam. It's his trademark move, really. Not many other players have this type of ability, and Jordan certainly never did these types of dunks.
    Are you talking about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsWTocG1W1Y

MJ used it on occasion.

But I do consider it Kobe's trademark dunk. I've mentioned it before. It's the one I associate with Kobe the most, but other players have a variation of this dunk in their arsenal too.

Okay Kobe can have it. That's the only thing he has over MJ.

This is the kind of baseline dunk I remember seeing MJ do once in a while.

I guess it's more of a baseline reverse up and under than a windmill (less gather), but the sweeping motion Kobe uses here is the kind MJ would have used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AhvxL-VnH8

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Here is a good video of both of them with great music.

Purely Kobe gets the nod over MJ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJvm6MdH_B8
    MJ dunks the same way each time, nod goes to Kobe for in game creativitiy and innovation

Mj played checkers, Kobe was playing chess

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rlsmooth775
    Michael Jordan is a overrated dunker if you watch his dunk contest he does the same dunks every year he entered. His in game dunks are not that special either Kobe is way more creative and had much better highlights. Dr J is also a overrated dunker he was just great for his time.
    amazing these threads question the greatest player that ever lived.
    Would these same type threads appeared if he did not play baseball, and won more chips consec'etively

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    ft line extended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4FWMxEjTE

When taking into account the angle he dunked from, it's as close as Bron's.

Again, in game dunk from the same spot Bron took off from

http://youtu.be/038j-yrL0J4?t=2m36s

He didn't have time to gather himself properly and he reached across his body which causes his body to lose gravity.

There's another example of MJ taking off from the same spot Bron took off from vs the Celts but I gotta find it.

Either way, you'd think that the man that dunked from the ft line with ease during dunk contests (while simulating real game mechanics) would be able to do it in a game in which the adrenaline is usually higher.
    LeBron's dunk was clearly from farther away.
    Last edited by moe94; 07-10-2014 at 12:16 PM.