Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Rescued my 2nd dog yesterday. Come meet Lucy, the GSP mix!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
    Great dogs enayes, hope you give them great lives. I'm a dog rescuer myself.

And I'm sorry to be a dick, but I hope you can afford to look after them, I remember you had a pet snake and you couldn't afford to take him to the vet.
    I don't know why you and others believe he rescued this dog from the streets or a shelter. There's a very real possibility OP has stolen these dogs from their rightful owners. Check OP's previous threads, he has no concious, further, he's stolen credit cards/wallets.

what was the overall process in 'rescuing a dog??"

basically i'd like to know was what history do u get of the dog, and how it was rescued from what? if at all...

sometimes dogs end up at shelters as strays so they have no history, usually there's some type of history they can offer. for mine- Bryan (lab/mastiff) was surrendered because he "got too big", he was at the shelter for 5 months before we got him. He does have aggression issues towards other dogs but is very loving after a slow introduction (shelter staff had not seen any aggression from him, so it was a surprise). Lucy (GSP)- at the shelter for about a month, came in with 2 other dogs. Dogs ended up at the shelter because the owner went to prison (not sure for what, but the dogs appeared to be well cared for)

how much background checks did they do on you and how much it cost to adopt it. i assume there are vaccination fee's and stuff.

the shelter I used in upstate NY was very cheap, $85 for a dog and they all come up to date on shots and fixed. here in Maine it's $200-300 at the shelters so it appears to vary by state/shelter. not too much of a background check on me, they check with landlord to make sure you can have a pet and ask a lot of questions, etc

and how many other dogs were there to choose from? was it hard to find cutes ones or puppies?

puppies don't show up very often (depending on shelter), if they do it's usually because a stray ended up being pregant. some shelters are huge and have dogs coming on and out each week/month, the shelter I used in NY is pretty small, they usually have 10-20 dogs at one time

i've always thought about doing it but i'd probably have to find a hypo allergenic one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
    Great dogs enayes, hope you give them great lives. I'm a dog rescuer myself.

And I'm sorry to be a dick, but I hope you can afford to look after them, I remember you had a pet snake and you couldn't afford to take him to the vet
    Man, way to bring up the past

Rafa was a sad story. But I honestly don't think a vet could have helped his broken back. Ideally I would have brought him in. This happened when I was around 16 too.

**And my dogs have everything they need. They are fed high-quality food, get plenty of exercise and love, have futon beds and are even signed up for BarkBox**

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

You didn't rescue shit if you picked it up from a shelter. Stop saying that.

She's adorable! She could put on some weight I'd say :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    You didn't rescue shit if you picked it up from a shelter. Stop saying that.
    How so?

How else would one rescue a dog? These are dogs that have no homes and are in need of loving care.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    When I think of rescuing I picture you saving the dog from a burning building or from near drowning. You'd probably want to use a better word than rescue in this case. Perhaps "retained", "obtained", "acquired", even "seized" might fit better.
    Thats that Bill Burr bit

Banned

Props. Btw matador? Isnt that a labrador?

Quote Originally Posted by LootOP
    Props. Btw matador? Isnt that a labrador?
    He is a lab/mastiff mix. He does look more like a lab but he has a bigger head, bigger paws, etc. You can see the mastiff in some pics of him.

Labrador and Mastiff turns into Mastador. It's not very commonly used but it is searchable on Google.