Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Default Re: Think of Pippen's best series or playoff runs..

3ball, the most pathetic member of this board. Deceitful, shameful, and lies to no end. Terrible excuse of a poster.

This guy had the audacity to complain about Pippen's offensive production, meanwell ignoring the fact that Pippen's worst playoff run was still producing more ppg than 2013 playoffs Wade. Sickening.

And then he ignores defense too? Michael Jordan never had a better defensive rating than Scottie Pippen for any ring. Never. I'll say it again. Scottie Pippen had a better defensive rating every single year he won a ring with Michael Jordan. Everybody knows who the defensive anchor was on that Chicago Bulls team.

Pathetic forum member.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    hate to go back to lebron but i'm just wondering if 3ball thinks 16ppg on 40% isnt help at all, then what can he say about wade in 2013 haha. Wade put up 16ppg on 50% ts. Now 3ball would point out wade's RS stats which were good for a 2nd option but ofc he doesnt do the same for pippen. as kuniva said, pippen's RS stats are good for a sidekick.

I know he would then transition to jordan making pippen and lebron marginalizing wade which is true to a small extent but usually completely exaggerated by him. It's been pointed out but it's a contradiction to say everything pippen did well was because of jordan but pippen's a poor scorer. Add on wade did play well during the RS so what he wasnt marginalized then but he was in the playoffs, not logically consistent?(PS has a lot to do with injuries/age and secondary options scoring less in the playoffs)
    Good points.

I'll add PS also has a lot to do with the defenses you face. For instance, Pippen's worst PO run efficiency wise was 96' and the Bulls faced three of the five best non-Bulls defenses that year (including the best, Seattle).

Also, we have Pippen flyspecked for his worst (usually associated with injuries--that is why he suddenly had PO efficiency drops from 1996-1998 after being consistent from 1990-1995 and being consistent in Portland). We could do the same and find a lot more with other 90's stars.

Re Wade, 3ball will say how much a joke defenses are today but compare 2013 numbers to 1998 at face value. Yet another inconsistency.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorporation View Post

Thoughts?

I'm glad context is finally being applied in the debate on Scottie Pippen.

From 90 to 98, nobody played more games than Scottie Pippen. That's including the playoffs and Championships and two Olympic gold medals in 92 and 96.

Jordan took almost 2 years off. And he didnt want to join The original Dream Team because he knew the importance of rest.

So the question is, was Pippens bad offensive stats in 96 because he couldn't score or was his body overworked. I mean, he had great stats on solid efficiency in most of his playoff runs. Even in 98 before his back gave out on him in the Finals. He played almost 3 extra seasons counting the playoffs and Olympics.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls View Post
    I'm glad context is finally being applied in the debate on Scottie Pippen.

From 90 to 98, nobody played more games than Scottie Pippen. That's including the playoffs and Championships and two Olympic gold medals in 92 and 96.

Jordan took almost 2 years off. And he didnt want to join The original Dream Team because he knew the importance of rest.

So the question is, was Pippens bad offensive stats in 96 because he couldn't score or was his body overworked. I mean, he had great stats on solid efficiency in most of his playoff runs. Even in 98 before his back gave out on him in the Finals. He played almost 3 extra seasons counting the playoffs and Olympics.
    Injuries. He had a great RS, was getting MVP talk, etc. but got hurt in the final 15-20 games and the injuries piled up (his PPG went from 21 through late February to about 15 PPG in March/April). By the playoffs he had three separate injuries.

He still finished top 5 in MVP and was first team all-NBA (second in voting behind MJ) but the dip late in the year carried over to the playoffs.

A legitimate playoff decliner would show that trend year after year like Malone, Stockton, Robinson, et al. With Pippen it's basically only 96', 98'--two injured PO runs (and even for 98' as you noted he was good until his back gave out in the finals). He was consistent from 1990-1995 and in Portland. 97' he had a foot injury for the finals but managed to overcome that (he was actually more efficient than MJ, albeit on lower volume but you get the point.).

If we cherry picked 2 PO runs in 8-9 years (especially by focusing on a PO run with multiple injuries where the team faced 3 of the 5 best opposing defenses in the NBA) we could do the same with any player but only Pippen is singled out for this standard even though as you pointed out his had more mileage than anyone with no rest (not even a rest via missing the playoffs like LeBron got last year, which refreshed him for this season) so it isn't surprising his body started to fail after he turned 30.

The other way you know it is a bogus issue is 90 percent of these people who go on and on about 96' and 98' will either say nothing about real playoff decliners or actually defend them. If it's a legitimate issue, Malone tops the list followed by Stockton. Do we ever see threads from them talking about Malone's eFG percentage nose diving 8 percent in the playoffs? When they compare Pippen to Stockton do they talk about him losing 5 percent in the PO? Or about Stockton scoring 9.7 in a NBA finals and 9.9 in a WCF?
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 07-28-2020 at 12:02 AM.