Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Michael Cooper GOES IN on Redick

And I never use all caps.

Last edited by jayfan; 02-27-2023 at 04:48 PM.

Default Re: Michael Cooper GOES IN on Redick

Coop called homeboy a poor mans Jeff Hornacek

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy View Post
    Coop called homeboy a poor mans Jeff Hornacek
    not much alike other than they could both shoot and are white

Attacking Redick's playing career is a sure sign someone's argument is weak.

I don't know if this is the same as in Baseball, Hockey, Football, or other team-oriented sports....but the discourse between past and current players shitting on each others eras is really disappointing to watch from the outside. Are the players from the other listed sports this territorial?

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Cooper: "You can't judge players you didn't play against!"

Also Cooper: "I don't care about ****ing percentages, Bird is a top 5 3 point shooter of all time!"

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Attacking Redick's playing career is a sure sign someone's argument is weak.
    True, but in fairness wasn't he the one who fired the first shot calling Cousy a plumber IIRC? Reddick comes off as too intelligient in terms of his basketball X's and O'x to stoop to that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    True, but in fairness wasn't he the one who fired the first shot calling Cousy a plumber IIRC? Reddick comes off as too intelligient in terms of his basketball X's and O'x to stoop to that level.
    I don't recall Redick calling Cousy a plumber. I think what Redick actually said was the Cousy was playing against plumbers, which may have been true. Pretty sure may pros had other jobs back then.

Edit: found the actual quote.

“He was being guarded by plumbers and firemen,” Redick said on First Take. Well, Jerry West didn't take kindly to Redick's comments.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/202...9;s%20comments.

I don't recall Redick calling Cousy a plumber. I think what Redick actually said was the Cousy was playing against plumbers, which may have been true. Pretty sure may pros had other jobs back then.

“He was being guarded by plumbers and firemen,” Redick said on First Take. Well, Jerry West didn't take kindly to Redick's comments.

I just think that was bad form from the get-go. That's the level of discourse you see on this forum, but I expect( apparently too much) that the players would have a bit more respect for the game than shitting on other eras to prop their own.

These old heads are sensitive as hell

I don't know if this is the same as in Baseball, Hockey, Football, or other team-oriented sports....but the discourse between past and current players shitting on each others eras is really disappointing to watch from the outside. Are the players from the other listed sports this territorial?
    You're going to see this in every sport. Everything I watched between ages 8-15 are going to be better than everything I watched in the last 10 years, and I think everyone has a level of this and believe their childhood heroes are always the best . It's also why I think stats are important when comparing players, because I know I have a biased "eye test" myself.

Hockey might be the most reasonable. Most hockey fans acknowledge Gretzky put up crazy number that aren't attainable today because goalies had smaller pads. He's still by far consensus goat though, which you can't really be mad at.

You can't really have this argument in sports with objective measurements(track, swimming), and I've still seen people try to lol.
    Last edited by j3lademaster; 02-27-2023 at 05:59 PM.

I just think that was bad form from the get-go. That's the level of discourse you see on this forum, but I expect( apparently too much) that the players would have a bit more respect for the game than shitting on other eras to prop their own.

I am confident in saying that many, if not most, of the players back then had other jobs. Even though it might sound bad i believe Redick was technically correct.

There is no question that competition was lacking back then.

Redick kinda put his foot in his mouth there. If he took a more "well the sport was in its infancy, you can't compare athletes who had to work real jobs to make ends meet to athletes today who have a team of nutritionists and personal trainers at their beck and call" it would make his exact same argument tougher to rebuttal. That guy did do him dirty with the misquote, but I think he was just trying to rile old Coop up for entertainment purposes. He knew Michael Cooper was dumb enough to fall for it and he was right.

I am confident in saying that many, if not most, of the players back then had other jobs. Even though it might sound bad i believe Redick was technically correct.

There is no question that competition was lacking back then.
    Yeah I'm not really arguing that. I don't think that should be used as a metric to bash older players because they had to hold down a 2nd job. They weren't earning 30 million a year like todays entitled load managers. Again, when you see Reddick on ESPN shutting down Stephen A with objective arguments, using the 'plumbers and carpenters' argument seems beneath him. It just disrespects the pioneers of the league, even if it's technically correct.

Old-heads are hilarious!

"That guy has no clue of how basketball was played in the '80s, and I guarantee you this, JJ Reddick: If you had played in the '80s - this is Michael Cooper talking - I'd have locked your ass up! You wouldn't have got a shot off! You wouldn't have got nothing off! You would've spent more time on the bench than on the floor. When I was on the floor you couldn't have played when I was on the court!"

- Michael Cooper