Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Question Would you say Jaylen Brown is now worth his contract?

Thoughts?

Default Re: Would you say Jaylen Brown is now worth his contract?

He's averaged 23 PPG in the regular season and playoffs and is about to make $65M. What do you think?

No fan is thinking "I need to go pick up the new variant of Jaylen Brown's jersey! " or "Jaylen is coming to town, let me blow my allowance money on tix!"

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    He's averaged 23 PPG in the regular season and playoffs and is about to make $65M. What do you think?

No fan is thinking "I need to go pick up the new variant of Jaylen Brown's jersey! " or "Jaylen is coming to town, let me blow my allowance money on tix!"
    I would cop a jaylen jersey over a tatum

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    I would cop a jaylen jersey over a tatum
    Without looking it up I'd assume he's not top 15 in jersey sales.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Last year JB was in the top 15 of jersey sales. Not that that is the reason why he's worth paying all that money, just pointing out that when you say no fan buys his jersey? You're wrong.

The justification for his pay is the same as most any player with that kind of contract: it's the going rate for a star. With the CBA rules and all of the money the league makes in the backs of players his contract will be repeatedly exceeded to the point where it's just a trivia question. His was the first 300 million dollar deal. It will not be the only one. In 4 years evert playoffs team will have one guy with a bigger contract than his and many will have two. People keep freaking out at the numbers and ignore that it's just the going rate.

Without looking it up I'd assume he's not top 15 in jersey sales.
    https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...-jersey-sales/

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Tbf that was last year, he didn't make it this time

https://www.nba.com/news/top-selling...23-24-season-2

Nice to see Jokic managed to sneak into the top 15 and top LaMelo Ball.

Brown, making that much cash, should stand out as the go to first option guy. Him and Tatum have been deep in the postseason since 2018 but here 6yrs later, we still don't know which guy it is?

Just seems like a weird scenario so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Tbf that was last year, he didn't make it this time

https://www.nba.com/news/top-selling...23-24-season-2

Nice to see Jokic managed to sneak into the top 15 and top LaMelo Ball.
    Ok but the point still stands. If a team wants to win then they have to Supermax a guy like JB. Or the Celtics had been stupid and tried to haggle they likely lose him. Imagine if he had joined Philly in a sign and trade. Sixers would be on their way to the finals right now. Tatum would have to regularly have 40 point games to win in the playoffs, especially while Porzingis is out and wouldn't have home court. You can't win in the playoffs if you are letting a star like JB walk because you have some dumb list of 10 players worth the max and won't give it to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo View Post
    Brown, making that much cash, should stand out as the go to first option guy. Him and Tatum have been deep in the postseason since 2018 but here 6yrs later, we still don't know which guy it is?

Just seems like a weird scenario so far.
    Any team with multiple Allstars is going to have multiple guys making the max. They can't all be the #1 option all the time. Besides celtics feature Brown plenty. So long as it leads to winning its not important that he doesn't lead the team in scoring. He could lead plenty of teams in scoring. That's not the goal.

He’s been good this post season, one thing I always respect about Tatum and Brown both is they are excellent defenders, even tho I often criticize them as overrated for their offense.

That said, the Beantown duo rarely have a problem looking good in the earlier rounds against the non contenders. Their path has been especially easy this year with no serious contenders in the whole conference.

Lets see what Brown does in the finals then we’ll talk.
    Last edited by FultzNationRISE; 05-24-2024 at 03:02 AM.

Local High School Star

This is the sort of casual fan, points-humping mentality that fails to understand how games are won or lost. Of course the casual fan isn't going to buy his jersey when all he cares about is ESPN highlight reels, exciting ISO, and indifferent to defense or the team aspect of the game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

He ain't worth shit, anyone could drop 40 against that pathetic defense

No supermax is for at least perennial all-nba lvl guys. Some think it should only be for mvp guys. He wasn’t going make more anywhere else. You haggle like the Jazz did for gobert when he was best guy on a title favorite team, clips did for kawhi, Mavs did for Kyrie and kings did for sabonis. The heat for jimmy and clippers for George are haggling rn. Just a few mil less a year even though he still be overload imo could mean an extra bench guy.

The problem is that Tatum is currently on a cheap contract himself, and once he declines his player option and they give him the new max in 2025 they're going to have problems as far as team building goes. Boston was able to have the deepest/most talented team in their Conference for years thanks to their two best players being young and on cheap contracts. Once both of them are making 55-65+ million a year they're not going to be able to maintain that advantage.

Will have to see what they offer Jrue or if they S&T him for younger players after this season and what they can do with Porzingis. I don't think this current version of the Celtics is staying together for long. They need to get younger around the two Jays or trade Brown after next season if this doesn't work out. They're already lacking in depth and Jrue is 34 next season and KP might as well be in his mid-30s too with how often he's hurt.