Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Anyone else feel like Brown is Tatum's equal?

He has great ball handling. The problem is he does not have a unique style like Tatum. Hes like a generic player. Does everything by the book but hardly with any style.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbugz View Post
    Pinpointing his dribble as a "weakness" is just nitpicking. I actually made a thread here about him not having a good handles about like 3 years ago, trust me JB's dribbling has improved a lot.

And nope, JT's problem is his passing. Dude's will occasionally make dumb lazy passes out of nowhere especially when he's frustrated.
    Well, in almost every playoff game I've watched this year...he's been shaky with his handle on drives and has a terrible turnover to assist ratio.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41 View Post
    No...Brown legit can't dribble. He's really good, but that is a huge weakness that would show even more if you asked him to do more.

Brown is in a perfect situation...give the Celtics a lot of credit for building this team and remaining patient...great drafting as well.

Also, loads of talent...Horford is obviously older...although he's playing great...I think they have 4 top 6 picks in the starting lineup. Pretty crazy.

As a Mavs fan...kind of depressing...we are playing mostly undrafted players and non lottery pick players.
    Brown was breaking the dubs down off the dribble all game long. Can't dribble? He's not fancy but his entire game is based off on ball dribbling ability setting up his shot and drive. He's not Kyle korver. Offensively he's a totally on the ball player.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41 View Post
    Well, in almost every playoff game I've watched this year...he's been shaky with his handle on drives and has a terrible turnover to assist ratio.
    Brown doesn’t have play making abilities. For a guy that handles the ball as much as him, his assist numbers are pretty low. Compared to a guy like Tatum who’s passing vision and playmaking ability has taken a major jump since the all star break. Jaylen doesn’t really need to worry about high assist numbers, but he does sometimes go a bit too fast with the ball and ends up with a silly turnover. Happened far too many times these playoffs.

Brown has handles but they're not elite. When drives into traffic he gets stripped A LOT, more than average.

Very good NBA starter

Jaylen is the better open court player. He's a play finisher that excels in midrange and penetration.

Tatum is more fundamentally sound and better but the celtics are dangerous when jaylen is attacking

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Brown was breaking the dubs down off the dribble all game long. Can't dribble? He's not fancy but his entire game is based off on ball dribbling ability setting up his shot and drive. He's not Kyle korver. Offensively he's a totally on the ball player.
    You don’t watch enough basketball.

Jaylen is the definition of hot and cold handles.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

If he shoots like this...maybe better.

Brown is a great player in his own right. I think Tatum is better because of his size and ability to create his own shot from anywhere on the floor.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Nah absolutely not.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    He has a great first step, but if he has a live dribble and is forced to reset, he legitimately looks like he is going to lose the ball whenever he is pressed. He doesn't have a tight handle.

NBA Superstar

Something I’ve noticed about Brown is that he sometimes plays above his means. Different style of player but it’s a little Westbrooky. Kind of a bad decision maker.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Something I’ve noticed about Brown is that he sometimes plays above his means. Different style of player but it’s a little Westbrooky. Kind of a bad decision maker.
    his shot selections needs a big improvement

Not airballing my layups anymore

Nah. Tatum is better. Got a better jumper.

Facts Are Misleading

Tatum playoffs 25/10/5 on 56TS

Brown 25/6/3 on 61 TS

Both elite defenders.