Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Would you say Jaylen Brown is now worth his contract?

No one in the team is concerned with whatever 5 bucks or 50 bucks you contribute to their collective wealth.
    It's way more than that... but if you add it all up across the entire fanbase? Billions of dollars.

No one cares?

The league wouldn't EXIST if no one cared. And they'd be making no money and this very thread dedicated to a certain players contract wouldn't exist.

You can hang all the banners you want. Certain victories are appreciated more than others.

I give the USA more credit for beating SS Germany in World War 2 than beating up on poor people in Afganistan. You might not. Because you don't know what the word context means.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

No one cares.

It ain't so fun Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Playing 3 teams in a row missing their 1st option….. so sad. I just feel sorry for ant or Luka because they are going to get hurt next round

This is almost as weak of a run as the nuggets last year

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Did you not notice the metric ton of ****ing up Irving did to make himself a nonmax player? You don't see how George and Leonard's injury history changes his value? Brown is starting his prime. Most of the guys you mention are in their thirties and have major problems. The Celtics with Brown have made the Conference finals almost every year and gotten to the finals once in recent history. He was averaging almost 27 points as the second star. You don't jeopardize that because you think that maybe you could get some bench guy for the cap space that actually would not be created if you got him to take 50 mil per instead of 60. Porzingis and Holiday have both gotten big deals since he signed and Tatum is going to get a contract even bigger than his. Why should Brown settle? He is one of the cornerstones to a perennial championship contender.
    irving also had all the leverage and lowkey the reason he got traded from bkn was he didnt like the contract they offered. George doesnt have that serious an injury history and is all-nba lvl every year. sabonis is young and turned around the kings gobert was the best player on a 1 seed and all-nba multiple times. I ofc dont need to tell you how bad miami is without jimmy. Brown should settle because he's the 2nd guy, 2nd guys dont always deserve the supermax. 27ppg is great he played the best defense this year he had in awhile. Still he's not a perennial all-nba guy like booker or mitchell and you feel iffy giving those guys supermaxes because they're not superstars. Porzingis took a short term deal and only makes 30mil/yr that was a steal and he wouldve gotten more as a free agent even with his injury history. holiday got a lot of yrs but arguably took a discount too. he'll make 30 mil next year. whites extension is coming up we'll see what he gets but if he takes less than 40mil, imo it's a steal. I argue jrue/porzingis of those guys took less than market value why shouldnt brown to win a title? I get where you're coming from but youve also overrated brown for last few years on this board compared to consensus.

Yes you won 64 games. The same core doesnt win 64 games every year, they decline to some extent and your bench surprising people was a small part of that. you're going lose some of those pieces. Horford will age likely cant resign hauser etc. One bench piece like hauser can absolutely be the difference between repeating or not. the nuggets went from champions to a 2nd round exit without bruce brown(there were other factors but this is what happened roster wise). If Murray and mpj werent overpaid yea there's a higher chance they still have him.

Edit: looked at sportrac if brown made a few mil less celtics couldve avoided the 2nd apron next year. That makes a huge difference for team building. No it doesnt create cap space but you can lump a bunch of useless vet mins for a bench guy who plays like the suns did for royce o'neale. suns did that move at deadline because that was last time they could do that deal.
    Last edited by NBAGOAT; 05-24-2024 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    irving also had all the leverage and lowkey the reason he got traded from bkn was he didnt like the contract they offered.
    If Irving has all this leverage then he gets offered a contract that he would find acceptable. He originally got the max when he signed woth Brooklyn. A long list of crap off the court happened that led to him not being offered the max when the time came to negotiate again, Unexcused or explained absences, the war between him the team and the city over the vaccineand then finally the controversy over the movie ge promoted along with a rough injury history all combined to make it so that no one wanted to pay him. Situation doesn't compare to Brown. If Irving wasn't a problem off the court he would get the max. If he was a free agent right now he likely gets the max.
    George doesnt have that serious an injury history and is all-nba lvl every year. sabonis is young and turned around the kings gobert was the best player on a 1 seed and all-nba multiple times.
    Four of the last 5 years George has played under 60 games. Sabonis and the Kings level of success doesn't compare to the Celtics at all.
    I ofc dont need to tell you how bad miami is without jimmy.
    Yes and that's why Riley publicly, recently complained about how many games Butler misses when he was discissing the possible deal Butler may get.Butler is what, 8 years older than Brown? Doesn't compare.
    Brown should settle because he's the 2nd guy, 2nd guys dont always deserve the supermax.
    If the Celtics were dumb enough not to pay him someone else would have. This is capitalism. What you "deserve" is what you can get paid.
    27ppg is great he played the best defense this year he had in awhile. Still he's not a perennial all-nba guy like booker or mitchell and you feel iffy giving those guys supermaxes because they're not superstars.
    He's made All-NBA twice and has in no way declined as a player. You let him go and the Celtics are no longer a Contender while some team like Philly or New York takes him and becomes just as good as if not better than Boston. Star players are actually important.
    Porzingis took a short term deal and only makes 30mil/yr that was a steal and he wouldve gotten more as a free agent even with his injury history. holiday got a lot of yrs but arguably took a discount too. he'll make 30 mil next year. whites extension is coming up we'll see what he gets but if he takes less than 40mil, imo it's a steal. I argue jrue/porzingis of those guys took less than market value why shouldnt brown to win a title? I get where you're coming from but youve also overrated brown for last few years on this board compared to consensus.
    So tou feel that JB makes too much money but Derrick White should get 40 mil? Please tell me what team would pay Derrick White 40 mil. I am not even going to argue about that I'm just curious why you think that's happening.

Your "I think KP and Holiday are underpaid so Brown should take less" isn't real logic, it's just bad business.

Yes you won 64 games. The same core doesnt win 64 games every year, they decline to some extent and your bench surprising people was a small part of that. you're going lose some of those pieces. Horford will age likely cant resign hauser etc. One bench piece like hauser can absolutely be the difference between repeating or not. the nuggets went from champions to a 2nd round exit without bruce brown(there were other factors but this is what happened roster wise). If Murray and mpj werent overpaid yea there's a higher chance they still have him.
    Hauser is signed through 2025.If in a few years some team offers him a deal Boston can't match then he's about to have an incredible season.

Edit: looked at sportrac if brown made a few mil less celtics couldve avoided the 2nd apron next year. That makes a huge difference for team building. No it doesnt create cap space but you can lump a bunch of useless vet mins for a bench guy who plays like the suns did for royce o'neale. suns did that move at deadline because that was last time they could do that deal.
    It's nice that you're worried about Wyc B rousbeck's money but I assure you he's a wealtjy man. He himself, during a Celtics broadcast, said that any team owner that is not willing to pay Jaylen Brown should not own the Boston Celtics.

If Irving has all this leverage then he gets offered a contract that he would find acceptable. He originally got the max when he signed woth Brooklyn. A long list of crap off the court happened that led to him not being offered the max when the time came to negotiate again, Unexcused or explained absences, the war between him the team and the city over the vaccineand then finally the controversy over the movie ge promoted along with a rough injury history all combined to make it so that no one wanted to pay him. Situation doesn't compare to Brown. If Irving wasn't a problem off the court he would get the max. If he was a free agent right now he likely gets the max. Four of the last 5 years George has played under 60 games. Sabonis and the Kings level of success doesn't compare to the Celtics at all. Yes and that's why Riley publicly, recently complained about how many games Butler misses when he was discissing the possible deal Butler may get.Butler is what, 8 years older than Brown? Doesn't compare. If the Celtics were dumb enough not to pay him someone else would have. This is capitalism. What you "deserve" is what you can get paid. He's made All-NBA twice and has in no way declined as a player. You let him go and the Celtics are no longer a Contender while some team like Philly or New York takes him and becomes just as good as if not better than Boston. Star players are actually important.So tou feel that JB makes too much money but Derrick White should get 40 mil? Please tell me what team would pay Derrick White 40 mil. I am not even going to argue about that I'm just curious why you think that's happening.

Your "I think KP and Holiday are underpaid so Brown should take less" isn't real logic, it's just bad business.

Hauser is signed through 2025.If in a few years some team offers him a deal Boston can't match then he's about to have an incredible season.

It's nice that you're worried about Wyc B rousbeck's money but I assure you he's a wealtjy man. He himself, during a Celtics broadcast, said that any team owner that is not willing to pay Jaylen Brown should not own the Boston Celtics.
    even in half a season dallas was happy with kyrie they're the one who gave him a slight discount not bkn. sure he has his issues but he was an all-nba lvl guy not even getting the 30% max. George only missed playoffs one year and had all-nba impact pretty much every year including top 10 in every impact metric this year. I never said jaylen shouldnt make more than sabonis. I used Sabonis as example because he was only eligible for the 30% max and they negotiated a slight discount. sabonis would have plenty of playoff success too if he had porzingis white and jrue on his team. Butler is 8 years older he's also lead the heat to 2 finals as their clear best player and he's only asking for a 3 year extension.

No one else can pay brown what boston can. He gets 4 yrs with 5% increases in free agency, boston only has to beat that number not their own max extension.

Where did i say he declined?? he's made 2 teams but he's not an all-nba lock every year. Also never said to let him go you haggle over the contract. how do the knicks get him without a trade?

A bunch of teams would trade multiple 1sts for current derrick and extend him for 40mil. lakers would trade dlo and 3 1sts in a heartbeat to name one team. the vets who get around 30mil are guys like porzingis, jrue, cj, jerami grant etc and white's clearly better than them besides porzingis who's underpaid too and more injury prone. Derrick will be getting a huge contract that eclipses holiday's unless white does boston a favor(he might).

If that's not real logic then your logic of jrue and porzingis being on big contracts means jaylen should not take a discount is also not real logic. I dont even agree with your premise that those guys didnt take discounts however.

hauser wont have to be offered that much for the celtics not to be able to match. celtics can only offer him 140% of an average nba salary for an extension. He'll get more in free agency and what are you talking about with matching. he's unrestricted not restricted. It's pretty damn unlikely he resigns especially with boston in 2nd apron. I'm not worried about the owners pocketbook. overpaying guys infringes on how well you can build the rest of the roster. We just seen this with denver and their bench and not being able to resign bruce brown. Overpaying mpj was one cause of that.
    Last edited by NBAGOAT; 05-24-2024 at 04:06 PM.

You think the Celtics don't make money?
    Boston is going to likely make money regardless of Jaylen Brown. The question and cost analysis remains. The Celtics governors have a business to run and still want higher profits every year, and if you want to trade him, the next team does the same cost risk analysis on his incoming contract.

There's 3-4 players at most that have the value of a super max. It is one of the worst additions to the NBA, it crushes the income that the rest of the "team" can actually earn.

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    even in half a season dallas was happy with kyrie they're the one who gave him a slight discount not bkn. sure he has his issues but he was an all-nba lvl guy not even getting the 30% max. George only missed playoffs one year and had all-nba impact pretty much every year including top 10 in every impact metric this year. I never said jaylen shouldnt make more than sabonis. I used Sabonis as example because he was only eligible for the 30% max and they negotiated a slight discount. sabonis would have plenty of playoff success too if he had porzingis white and jrue on his team. Butler is 8 years older he's also lead the heat to 2 finals as their clear best player and he's only asking for a 3 year extension.
    You pay players for what they will do not what they have done. Of course Riley won't want to hand Butler 60 mil a year when he's 36 when he's missing a ton of games and similar logic applies to Paul George except that unlike Butler you don't have postseason greatness to be grateful for so there's even less reason for a big payday. History tells us that these are guys that probably won't play 65 games.

I am bored with rehashing Irving's history. If you want to think there's no difference between what he did with/to the Nets and Brown helping the Celtics make conference finals five times that's your business.

No one else can pay brown what boston can. He gets 4 yrs with 5% increases in free agency, boston only has to beat that number not their own max extension.
    But if you don't pay him supermax he is likely to feel slighted and may well decide he wants to find a team where he's the undisputed franchise player or that he has a better shot at a championship with a great big like Embiid, wants to go home to ATL. Any number of things could effect his decision if the Celtics don't show him that they value him at the highest level.

Where did i say he declined?? he's made 2 teams but he's not an all-nba lock every year. Also never said to let him go you haggle over the contract. how do the knicks get him without a trade?
    I am pointing out that he didn't decline to illustrate the flaw in making a big deal over whether or not he is AllNBA one particular year. Last season he was 2nd team. Is he any worse now or did his stats take a hit because he's surrounded by talent?
    A bunch of teams would trade multiple 1sts for current derrick and extend him for 40mil. lakers would trade dlo and 3 1sts in a heartbeat to name one team. the vets who get around 30mil are guys like porzingis, jrue, cj, jerami grant etc and white's clearly better than them besides porzingis who's underpaid too and more injury prone. Derrick will be getting a huge contract that eclipses holiday's unless white does boston a favor(he might).
    The idea that White is worth 40 mil while Brown is overpaid is amusing to me. Moving on.

If that's not real logic then your logic of jrue and porzingis being on big contracts means jaylen should not take a discount is also not real logic. I dont even agree with your premise that those guys didnt take discounts however.
    I didn't say they took discounts. I don't know who would be offering them a lot more as free agents. What I do know is that Brown has no reason to care what they get paid while his agent negotiates max dollars.
    hauser wont have to be offered that much for the celtics not to be able to match. celtics can only offer him 140% of an average nba salary for an extension. He'll get more in free agency and what are you talking about with matching. he's unrestricted not restricted. It's pretty damn unlikely he resigns especially with boston in 2nd apron. I'm not worried about the owners pocketbook. overpaying guys infringes on how well you can build the rest of the roster. We just seen this with denver and their bench and not being able to resign bruce brown. Overpaying mpj was one cause of that.
    You have this strange idea that the Celtics are hurting for money. Groesbeck paid 360 mil for the team. It's currently worth 4.7 billion with annual revenue of 443 million. And that's likely just how they report their numbers for tax purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    Boston is going to likely make money regardless of Jaylen Brown. The question and cost analysis remains. The Celtics governors have a business to run and still want higher profits every year, and if you want to trade him, the next team does the same cost risk analysis on his incoming contract.
    Do you think the Celtics governors are unaware of what Brown is being paid? That they made a mistake or that Bad Stevens is sneakily getting them to sign checks they don't see?

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    There's 3-4 players at most that have the value of a super max. It is one of the worst additions to the NBA, it crushes the income that the rest of the "team" can actually earn.
    Question: Do you think that Michael Jordan was a good owner?

Do you think the Celtics governors are unaware of what Brown is being paid? That they made a mistake or that Bad Stevens is sneakily getting them to sign checks they don't see?
    C'mon man. What's this line of questioning? They made the decision and like every idiot, they made it with ultimate confidence they made the right decision.

Do you think homeless people planned on being homeless? That they said "this decision right here will lead to me losing everything, but I'm going to make it anyway."

The purpose of the thread was to discuss the worthiness of Brown getting what he's getting and what he's worth. He's worth $65M to the Celtics just as Dogecoin is priceless to that future homeless person.

By my personal cost analysis as a fan, he's very risky. He's the ultimate "good" player destined to never be great. He will never make all NBA first team, but is paid as such. He will never start an all-star except for injury, but is paid as such. He will never be top 10 in jersey sales but is paid as such. I can go on. I have nothing personal against him. To answer the OP a second time, in a general sense, no, he's not worth his contact. He can only ever be worth his contact to the Celtics of they get whatever they're after with him. To any other team he's overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    C'mon man. What's this line of questioning? They made the decision and like every idiot, they made it with ultimate confidence they made the right decision.

Do you think homeless people planned on being homeless? That they said "this decision right here will lead to me losing everything, but I'm going to make it anyway."

The purpose of the thread was to discuss the worthiness of Brown getting what he's getting and what he's worth. He's worth $65M to the Celtics just as Dogecoin is priceless to that future homeless person.

By my personal cost analysis as a fan, he's very risky. He's the ultimate "good" player destined to never be great. He will never make all NBA first team, but is paid as such. He will never start an all-star except for injury, but is paid as such. He will never be top 10 in jersey sales but is paid as such. I can go on. I have nothing personal against him. To answer the OP a second time, in a general sense, no, he's not worth his contact. He can only ever be worth his contact to the Celtics of they get whatever they're after with him. To any other team he's overpaid.
    You are comparing the retaining of a player that has been crucial to several trips to the conference finals to the mistakes that lead to homelessness. Your position is ridiculous.

Facts Are Misleading

Brown is having a playoff run that is at worst a true 1B to Tatum's 1A (and that's being generous to Tatum)

That's worth the amount of money he is being payed.

You are comparing the retaining of a player that has been crucial to several trips to the conference finals to the mistakes that lead to homelessness. Your position is ridiculous.
    Each decision should live in a vacuum.