Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #31
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan
 
G.O.A.T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 5,641
G.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hawks being sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
the Kings are up there

Rochester Royals
1945–57
Cincinnati Royals
1957–72
Kansas City-Omaha Kings
1972–75
Kansas City Kings
1975–85
Sacramento Kings
1985–present

Yes them and the Bullets who have the most name changes

Chicago Packers
Chicago Zephyrs
Baltimore Bullets
Capitol Bullets
Washington Bullets
Washington Wizards

Not only that there are two defunct franchises known as the Baltimore Bullets and Washington Capitols.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #32
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star
 
Joey Zaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,068
Joey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Hawks being sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
Williams was the consensus no. 2 pick that year, so at the time it didn't seem like a horrible pick.

Williams was not a horrible pick at that time, but consensus #2 he was not. Bogut was arguable consensus #1, but Hawks were widely criticized for that pick the minute they made it.

Not sure how long they keep threads around here, but iirc, if you look back, you'll see it was not a consensus pick.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #33
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,075
hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Hawks being sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
Williams was not a horrible pick at that time, but consensus #2 he was not. Bogut was arguable consensus #1, but Hawks were widely criticized for that pick the minute they made it.

Not sure how long they keep threads around here, but iirc, if you look back, you'll see it was not a consensus pick.

I guess that is debateable, it's been a while, but I remember that for the most part Marvin was considered the consensus no. 2 pick because of his potential, height and athleticism. He was expected to be a 20 ppg scorer, which clearly he has not turned out to be. If he had been close to that, then the pick would have been a success. Of course, Marvin's laziness and lack of work ethic has certainly played a significant part in his lack of growth.

That said, it was clearly boneheaded not to pick Paul or Deron Williams.

But even more boneheaded was picking Shelden Williams over Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy. Add either one to the Hawks (which could happen with Roy coming to the Hawks for Williams and Hinrich), then we are looking at a championship level team.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #34
MrRogers
I airball my layups
 
MrRogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Madison Square Garden
Posts: 93
MrRogers has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Hawks being sold

The Hawks needed a PG in 2005. Hell, Raymond Felton could've filled that void. Bad choice by Billy Knight.
MrRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #35
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,075
hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Atlanta Hawks being sold, team not being moved

hawkfan Trade Scenario:

Hawks get

Andrew Bynum (who could have been drafted instead of Marvin Williams)

Lakers get

Al Horford
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #36
herschel4heisman
I airball my layups
 
herschel4heisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: new york
Posts: 54
herschel4heisman has decent reputation
Default Re: Hawks being sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
I guess that is debateable, it's been a while, but I remember that for the most part Marvin was considered the consensus no. 2 pick because of his potential, height and athleticism. He was expected to be a 20 ppg scorer, which clearly he has not turned out to be. If he had been close to that, then the pick would have been a success. Of course, Marvin's laziness and lack of work ethic has certainly played a significant part in his lack of growth.

That said, it was clearly boneheaded not to pick Paul or Deron Williams.

At the time it was just a bad decision but in hindsight it is elevated to a historically atrocious decision. Once the NBA season ended that year I remember thinking we are finally gonna get a point guard, Deron or Chris Paul. I preferred Chris but Billy Knight didn't like him b/c he felt he was too small. This is even after Chris Paul publicly stated he wanted to get drafted by the Hawks and, as he even now says, had his best workout with the Hawks.

But Billy Knight, as I heard him say many times on Atl sports talk radio, didn't believe in specific positions like the 1, 2, 3 or 4. His dream was to have a center and the other 4 players to be interchangeable 6ft7 to 6ft9 swingmen. That's why a year after drafting 6ft8 Josh Childress with the 6th pick and 6ft9 Josh Smith with the 17th pick, he drafted 6ft8 Marvin Williams with the 2nd pick. At the time it made absolutely no sense to me especially considering the need we had at point guard with Paul and Deron available. I think I am right when I say prior to Acie LAw, in all Billy Knight's years as a GM, he had never drafted a guard in the 1st rd. He believed in his interchangeable theory to the point where. and people have forgotten now, but Joe Johnson was signed to be our point guard. When it became painfully obvious after about 10 games that he's not a pg, we had to go to the backup plan: Royal Ivey.

And that is why I really believe we didn't draft Chris Paul. The year of the Paul draft was the same summer we signed Joe Johnson. Billy Knight didn't see the need at point that any other reasonable person did b/c he was gonna offer JJ max money to be his point guard and surround Joe with the 3 forwards he had drafted in the 1st round the previous 2 drafts. I am being 100% honest when I say, at the time, drafting Marvin made no sense to me considering the talent available in the draft at a position of need. I at least tried to make myself feel better by saying Marvin is supposed to be talented so if he turns out to be this start others are saying he can become it'll mitigate the problems not drafting a point guard will cause. But we all know what ended up happening with Marvin . . .
herschel4heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #37
MrRogers
I airball my layups
 
MrRogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Madison Square Garden
Posts: 93
MrRogers has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Atlanta Hawks being sold, team not being moved

Anyone got that pic of CP3 in Hawks gear?
MrRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #38
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,075
hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Hawks being sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by herschel4heisman
At the time it was just a bad decision but in hindsight it is elevated to a historically atrocious decision. Once the NBA season ended that year I remember thinking we are finally gonna get a point guard, Deron or Chris Paul. I preferred Chris but Billy Knight didn't like him b/c he felt he was too small. This is even after Chris Paul publicly stated he wanted to get drafted by the Hawks and, as he even now says, had his best workout with the Hawks.

But Billy Knight, as I heard him say many times on Atl sports talk radio, didn't believe in specific positions like the 1, 2, 3 or 4. His dream was to have a center and the other 4 players to be interchangeable 6ft7 to 6ft9 swingmen. That's why a year after drafting 6ft8 Josh Childress with the 6th pick and 6ft9 Josh Smith with the 17th pick, he drafted 6ft8 Marvin Williams with the 2nd pick. At the time it made absolutely no sense to me especially considering the need we had at point guard with Paul and Deron available. I think I am right when I say prior to Acie LAw, in all Billy Knight's years as a GM, he had never drafted a guard in the 1st rd. He believed in his interchangeable theory to the point where. and people have forgotten now, but Joe Johnson was signed to be our point guard. When it became painfully obvious after about 10 games that he's not a pg, we had to go to the backup plan: Royal Ivey.

And that is why I really believe we didn't draft Chris Paul. The year of the Paul draft was the same summer we signed Joe Johnson. Billy Knight didn't see the need at point that any other reasonable person did b/c he was gonna offer JJ max money to be his point guard and surround Joe with the 3 forwards he had drafted in the 1st round the previous 2 drafts. I am being 100% honest when I say, at the time, drafting Marvin made no sense to me considering the talent available in the draft at a position of need. I at least tried to make myself feel better by saying Marvin is supposed to be talented so if he turns out to be this start others are saying he can become it'll mitigate the problems not drafting a point guard will cause. But we all know what ended up happening with Marvin . . .

1. Josh Childress was the reason the Hawks didn't pick Roy or go Gay that draft, instead picking Shelden Williams. Horrible.

2. Acie Law - terrible selection at no. 10 in the draft.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #39
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,075
hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Atlanta Hawks being sold, team not being moved

Looking forward, the Hawks need to get a passer in the front court, and better production from Josh Smith, and get Teague more experience. Not happy with the Hawks losing Hilton Armstrong, especially since the Hawks gave up a first round pick to Washington to get rid of Bibby's contract (which has turned out to be Chris Singleton).
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #40
JaskoX1
The Herpes of My Life.
 
JaskoX1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 650
JaskoX1 has decent reputation
Default Re: Atlanta Hawks being sold, team not being moved

this thread quickly turned into the "lets make outragious trade scenarios"

cp3 hawks, dwight howard. lol

have a better shot of getting shaq out of retirement then landing the Howard.
JaskoX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #41
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,075
hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Atlanta Hawks being sold, team not being moved

Nice story about the Hawks new owner.

Seems like a great guy, and I think he will be a welcome change from the Atlanta Spirit Group, which overall did well considering the circumstances they had to deal with:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/09...ner/?hpt=hp_t2
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #42
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,075
hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Atlanta Hawks being sold, team not being moved

Al Horford, Kirk Hinrich, 2 first round picks for Dwight Howard.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #43
Darius
Good college starter
 
Darius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Handsome Man
Posts: 3,030
Darius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Atlanta Hawks being sold, team not being moved

There's a nice open arena in Anaheim I hear...
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy