Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: [VIDEO] - Footage of Jerry West

West better than Kobe.. Dem hipsters.

It's sligthly too sped up for huge chunks of the video. Especially when they are running. You can see the frames jumping.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Funny how people complain about the video being sped up or slowed down...they are highlight videos...what do you expect. They do the same thing with today's highlights. These are old videos as well. So dumb.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PTB Fan
    Amazing video. This is why I have West at #2 on my SG list just to Jordan. I often wonder to make an article on why West should be higher than just another top 10 guy at best, because he was super good in everything he did on the court.

I like the video a lot. I've been reading through old newspaper articles in which there're a ton of reports of West with 10+ steals in them. Quite outstanding for a player of his caliber. I share all of your videos on other forum, because they're just too good.

Is Baylor next or Russell?
    As much as I respect and admire West - he's my favorite legend - I don't think that there is a case any more for ranking him over Kobe. The top SG list has an irrefutable 1, 2, and 3 at this point in Jordan, Kobe, and West.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Funny how people complain about the video being sped up or slowed down...they are highlight videos...what do you expect. They do the same thing with today's highlights. These are old videos as well. So dumb.
    honestly this video isn't sped up, punpun is just bein a dick - this is early 60's footage I'm using which is actually just before the slow-motion trend took over all those in-color NBA documentaries of the late 60's. I didn't even tap into my late 60's footage yet all this footage stops at 1965

Sorry, but that's just how quick Jerry West was, and that's how fast those players were. Examples:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWVi0EtJcZg&t=9m53s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFjFnXNNB8&t=21m50s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFjFnXNNB8&t=22m32s

Truth hurts when it doesn't fit your agenda don't it punpun?
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-10-2012 at 03:27 PM.

My agenda ? I only have T-rob on my agenda Cavaliers. I gave him my full time and total dedication.

Banned

Very overrated player.

Quote Originally Posted by DurantFor40
    Very overrated player.
    Really? Cause his game reminds me a lot of Westbrook except his shot looks even better, and he's taller and longer, and his defense and shotblocking and courtvision looks even better, and he doesn't seem to lose his temper every play, and he isn't trying to play a position he doesn't fit. Just imagine how good OKC would be if Westbrick was more like West...
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-10-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Give us some Mikan highlights. You know, the guy who's better than Wilt ever was.
    Mikan would manhandle Kobe from 3 point range

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Absolute genius of a player. I wasn't around when he was playing but I saw full games of his both in the 60s and the 70s and came away extremely impressed.

He's the prototype for today's perimeter stars as well as a great early example of a "combo guard", a ball handler who just makes plays happen.

Pretty much unstoppable as a scorer, the rare player who could both get to the rim (sometimes finishing with a very modern floater type shot) and shoot it from outside with awesome range. Possibly the greatest pull-up jumper in history. But he could also pass, rebound, defend, hustle... And while he was impossibly skilled, he was also very long and quick at his position. He wasn't "deceptively" athletic, just plain athletic, running the floor, going after the rebound, getting chasedown blocks...

I like how the footage shows him dribbling with his left hand, dispelling notions that he was somehow physically unable to do it.

He did fall in love with his shot from time to time... but his shooting percentages show that he had every reason to. His chucking was often justified.
    I agree 100%! When it came to the first SG who really had NO WEAKNESSES. He was a great scorer, very good-great rebounder for a SG, great defender, and great passer from the SG spot. On top of that he was a great athlete and great shooter from anywhere. After West, u didn't really SG's dominate like that until MJ came around. For example, Maravich and Monroe were great passers and scorers from the SG. Gervin was a great scorer and very good rebounder. A guy like Dave Bing might actually have an underrated case before MJ came along. But West dominated the SG in an epic manner.

I think comparing Big O to West is damn similar to comparing Magic to MJ or Bron to Kobe. U have epic guys who have an awesome mix of size, skill, and versatility in Big O, Magic, and Bron. Then u have three guys who have literally no weaknesses and are as versatile as u can be for their sizes in West, MJ, and Kobe. The first group seem to have a sixth sense when it comes to passing the rock. The second group are great passers themselves, but they are the ultimate killers and the three most clutch guards of all time most likely.
    Last edited by bizil; 07-10-2012 at 09:41 PM.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Give us some Mikan highlights. You know, the guy who's better than Wilt ever was.
    I know that you like to troll, but I hope that you don't honestly believe that.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    I know that you like to troll, but I hope that you don't honestly believe that.
    I'm convinced of it. And anytime Chamberlain's name is brought up in ANY discussion, this fool will rush in and disparage him. It's downright comical, too. There is practically nothing anyone can do to diminish what Chamberlain accomplished. But this clown ALWAYS brings up Wilt's poor FT shooting in a couple of his Finals. That is ALL he can come up with.

He blames Wilt for "losing" the '70 Finals, when Wilt went 1-11 in game seven. In fact, at the time he made that comment, he added that that game cost Wilt 3-4 rings. That GAME mind you. Of course, the idiot conveniently left out the fact that the Lakers were down by 27 points at halftime, and that Chamberlain was the ONLY Laker who did ANYTHING in the first half. Or that Wilt could have went 11-11 from the line, and they would have still lost.

The dunce also blames Wilt for losing the '69 Finals, while forgetting about BAYLOR and West combining to shoot 1-14 in the 4th quarter of a game three, six point loss (or that Baylor just shot 4-14 from the field in that game.) Or that BAYLOR went 2-14 from the field in a game four, one point loss, as well as 1-6 from the line! Or that while Wilt was shooting 7-8 from the floor in game seven, BAYLOR was shooting 8-22, in a two point loss.

Oh, and the moron never brings up the fact that Chamberlain shot poorly in the '67 Finals, either, when his team waltzed to a title. Or that Russell and Shaq shot nearly as bad as Chamberlain did in the post-season, and yet the two won a combined 15 rings.

Chamberlain easily outshot Russell from the line in the '65 ECF's, too....in a series that went seven games, and his team lost that game seven by one point. In fact, Chamberlain crushed Russell in every facet of the game in that series, and yet, since Boston won...well, it was Wilt's FT shooting that must have cost them the series.

Yet, how often does Dunce bring up Kobe shooting his team out of the '04 and '08 Finals, with just horrible shooting games? Or Bird misfiring so often in his post-season career? Or Kareem flopping badly in SEVERAL BIG GAMES, or entire playoff series, or even entire post-seasons? Or the great West shooting .325 in the Finals that Chamberlain won the FMVP award in?
    Last edited by jlauber; 07-10-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Great video. Lol @ some idiots comparing him to JJ.
    Had he played in this era, he'd be something close to Steve Nash.

5-time NBA All-Star

His offensive game in this video looks a lot like a Tony Parker when his game is on (exactly, actually): The great pull up jumpers, hesitation penetration and speed. Obviously, the lenth, quickness and extension allowed him to be great on defense. Solid video.

Later West had more dramatic moments and exhibits his will a little better from the little I seen of the Knicks championship series. Will the end product have his later years?

Kobe fans are about to get extraordinarily pissed... My next wave of footage mixed with what I got posted so far is makes West look mind blowing. West is better than I thought, I think he might actually be... better than Kobe

still got more footage to go through so sit tight