Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Default Re: Larry Bird "I thought we was going to sweep them in four"

that magic quote seems fake...not from poster but from magic

he said it for effect

no way competitor like magic felt sorry for bird but it makes for great copy

magic was a showman and crowd pleaser so he's gonna con the public into believing that

========
    also, since grammar/diction police haven't shown up yet.........."we was gonna" ?

Magic was never better than Larry until Larrys back really fvck that nikkas career. U can see in press, awards, media, players say etc etc Larry wasnt only considered better than Magic in their primes it wasnt really even close but now u have lil nikkas and kids that never saw em play that rank Magic so much higher it jokes b/c they such dumasses

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG
    Magic was never better than Larry until Larrys back really fvck that nikkas career. U can see in press, awards, media, players say etc etc Larry wasnt only considered better than Magic in their primes it wasnt really even close but now u have lil nikkas and kids that never saw em play that rank Magic so much higher it jokes b/c they such dumasses
    It shows how useless top ten lists are. I always say this, but when I first started going to basketball forum, every body had Bird ahead of Magic in their top ten list. That was the norm, and then the next year Magic was ahead on everybody's list. There's no real way of really classifying all these players. Current popularity has a huge effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtaro CP3KDKG

Been always saying that. When they were both (relatively) healthy, Bird was pretty much always above as an overall player (considered during the days as well, at least by people who knew their shit), during that time Magic was only above Bird in MVP voting once. And if Magic won FMVP over Kareem, Bird should've definitely won it in 81.
    Magic had it better though, in a sense that he was drafted to an already pretty good team, with a top3 GOAT in his prime still to lead the way, and a really good PG to learn from, plus he had better teammates overall looking at the whole picture and the East was clearly tougher and better. Bird turned around a franchise that was pretty much dying you can say.
    Magic was only the clear-cut alpha since like 86, by 87 Bird had no team to compete coming out of the gruelsome East while Magic had an amazing team with an easy road for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    It shows how useless top ten lists are. I always say this, but when I first started going to basketball forum, every body had Bird ahead of Magic in their top ten list. That was the norm, and then the next year Magic was ahead on everybody's list. There's no real way of really classifying all these players. Current popularity has a huge effect.
    You can say Magic's fame grew bigger than Bird's because he played for the Lakers, because he's black in a black-man's sport and because he's more outspoken and stays on the spotlight. No denying that.
    (and btw I'm half-black, or half-white, call it as you see it lol)

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

Been always saying that. When they were both (relatively) healthy, Bird was pretty much always above as an overall player (considered during the days as well, at least by people who knew their shit), during that time Magic was only above Bird in MVP voting once. And if Magic won FMVP over Kareem, Bird should've definitely won it in 81.
    Magic had one of the best playoff games ever in a clutch situation. Bird, to be honest had trouble in the playoffs the first four years. Before '84 Bird was just very unsteady in the playoffs. That was the biggest difference between them. Magic shot much better than him from the field in the playoffs in general, and if his shot was off, he did other things. When Bird hit 26, he had that three great year span which was remarkable. But after that three year masterpiece, Magic was back on top again.

In the video above Magic seemed like he didn't really want to win. If he did, they win that series too. It wasn't like it was moreso Birds will that won that series as much as it seemed like Magic had that Lebron/Dallas moment. I think this video catches that very well.

Magic was 3 years younger than Bird and STILL completely outplayed Peak Bird in 2 of their 3 their finals matchups...even his numbers in the 84 finals are way better. Hell, Magic's 1980 finals averages probably as good as Bird ever did.

Fascinating...

Here was Bird's take right after the '84 Finals...

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun...inals-20100603

The Lakers were better. Larry Bird said it himself: "To be honest, they should have swept."

Seconds from going up 2-0 in the series, James Worthy's cross-court pass was intercepted by Gerald Henderson, whose basket tied the score. Boston won in overtime, also took Game 4 in OT, and blew the Lakers over in seven.

On the laundry list of things to remember: Kevin McHale's clothesline hook of Kurt Rambis in Game 4.

Chick Hearn used to say: "No harm, no foul, no blood, no ambulance."

Surprise to Lakers fans the next day: the sun came up.
    Boston had no business winning the '84 Finals. They were completely outplayed throughout. Instead, it was LA who handed the Celtics TWO games.

Of course, LA would come back to beat Boston the very next season in the Finals, 4-2. And a couple of years after that, the Lakers, behind Magic's complete domination (a 26 ppg, 13 apg, 8 rpg, .541 FG%, .500 FT%, .960 FT%, series)...blew out Boston, 4-2 (and in three of the wins they had huge leads and coasted to wins.)

And I get sick-and-tired about those that claim that LA had an easier road to the Finals. While Boston was either losing to the Sixers in '80 and '82, LA, beghind Magic, steamrolled those same Sixer teams. And had Magic not missed nearly the last half of the '81 season, and played poorly (as did KAJ) in the first round of the playoffs (losing to Moses' 40-42 Rockets),l they likely would have won three-in-a-row in that span.

As for who was greater...

I'll give Bird '84, and '86. Possibly '85. IMHO, if you include the post-season, Magic was the better player in '80, '82, '83, '85, '87, '88, '89. '90, and '91. H2H Magic was the better player. And, as a playoff performer, Magic was the better player.

Once again, had LA not blown two games of the '84 Finals, (and, as Larry himself said, they should have SWEPT Boston), Magic would have retired with one more ring, and probably one more FMVP, while Bird would have had one less of each.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 11-22-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Magic had one of the best playoff games ever in a clutch situation. Bird, to be honest had trouble in the playoffs the first four years. Before '84 Bird was just very unsteady in the playoffs. That was the biggest difference between them. Magic shot much better than him from the field in the playoffs in general, and if his shot was off, he did other things. When Bird hit 26, he had that three great year span which was remarkable. But after that three year masterpiece, Magic was back on top again.

In the video above Magic seemed like he didn't really want to win. If he did, they win that series too. It wasn't like it was moreso Birds will that won that series as much as it seemed like Magic had that Lebron/Dallas moment. I think this video catches that very well.
    Overblown bullshit.
    In 1980 Bird turned the Celtics from the 2nd worst record in the league to the best record in the league, with 61W and going to the ECF, with basically the same roster.
    In 1981, with the main addition of Parish (who was never considered all that with the Warriors) and Cowens gone, he led them to the Finals, as the clear-cut alpha, majorly outplaying the MVP Julius Erving in the ECF coming back from a 1-3 deficit. In the Finals Maxwell was really good and consistent but really that FMVP belonged to Bird, only player to averaged 15+/15+/7+ in the Finals, had a great and really clutch closing game 6, and apart from scoring (which was decent) he was much better than Max.
    In 1982 he underperformed in the PS yeah, still would be a pretty good PS for most players and they almost went to the Finals, again.
    In 1983 he was injured in the PS, still pretty good, couldn't do more in his condition.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Magic was 3 years younger than Bird and STILL completely outplayed Peak Bird in 2 of their 3 their finals matchups...even his numbers in the 84 finals are way better. Hell, Magic's 1980 finals averages probably as good as Bird ever did.
    Just stop with them jokes.

1984 Finals:
    Bird - 27.4 ppg, 14.0 rpg, 3.6 apg on 48.4 %FG/59.5 %TS
    Magic - 18.1 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 13.6 apg on 56.0 %FG/61.7 %TS
    Kareem - 26.6 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 4.4 apg on 48.1 %FG/51.9 %TS

Bird's D > Magic's D (clearly)

And most importantly Bird won it as the clear-cut alpha (Magic played with Kareem, and Worthy was already a great player). Plus the majority of Bird's teammates were underperforming all through the Playoffs while he was leading them in pretty much every category (fg%, 3p%, ft%, ppg, rpg, apg, spg). Oh and Magic choked in those Finals, point blank.

In 1985 Bird was playing with a severely broken hand and was still able to lead them and take the Lakers to 6, it took a monster Finals, one of the GOAT Finals really, from Kareem, at 37, to get the job done.

In 1986 Bird averaged a triple-double in the Finals while a healthy Magic with a great cast around didn't bother showing up.

In 1987, Bird, already with back issues, still led a depleted Celtics team to the Finals, and took the Lakers to 6. C's had virtually no bench, various players injured, went through some really gruelsome series, especially against the Pistons, while the Lakers had one of the GOAT teams and an easy road for them.

Look at Kareem's level in 1980 still, his numbers, his impact, advanced stats, awards... He was their leader and clear-cut main-man, he was the only leading the way and playing like a beast, that FMVP belongs to him.
    "Good as Bird ever did"

Bird's probably the most underrated legend at this moment. Only thing going against him is longevity and he played injured lots of times since early in his career, never making excuses, that was just how he was, and his style of play also led to injuries.
    Last edited by SHAQisGOAT; 11-22-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Overblown bullshit.
    In 1980 Bird turned the Celtics from the 2nd worst record in the league to the best record in the league, with 61W and going to the ECF, with basically the same roster.
    In 1981, with the main addition of Parish (who was never considered all that with the Warriors) and Cowens gone, he led them to the Finals, as the clear-cut alpha, majorly outplaying the MVP Julius Erving in the ECF coming back from a 1-3 deficit. In the Finals Maxwell was really good and consistent but really that FMVP belonged to Bird, only player to averaged 15+/15+/7+ in the Finals, had a great and really clutch closing game 6, and apart from scoring (which was decent) he was much better than Max.
    In 1982 he underperformed in the PS yeah, still would be a pretty good PS for most players and they almost went to the Finals, again.
    In 1983 he was injured in the PS, still pretty good, couldn't do more in his condition.

Just stop with them jokes.

1984 Finals:
    Bird - 27.4 ppg, 14.0 rpg, 3.6 apg on 48.4 %FG/59.5 %TS
    Magic - 18.1 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 13.6 apg on 56.0 %FG/61.7 %TS
    Kareem - 26.6 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 4.4 apg on 48.1 %FG/51.9 %TS

Bird's D > Magic's D (clearly)

And most importantly Bird won it as the clear-cut alpha (Magic played with Kareem, and Worthy was already a great player). Plus the majority of Bird's teammates were underperforming all through the Playoffs while he was leading them in pretty much every category (fg%, 3p%, ft%, ppg, rpg, apg, spg). Oh and Magic choked in those Finals, point blank.

In 1985 Bird was playing with a severely broken hand and was still able to lead them and take the Lakers to 6, it took a monster Finals, one of the GOAT Finals really, from Kareem, at 37, to get the job done.

In 1986 Bird averaged a triple-double in the Finals while a healthy Magic with a great cast around didn't bother showing up.

In 1987, Bird, already with back issues, still led a depleted Celtics team to the Finals, and took the Lakers to 6. C's had virtually no bench, various players injured, went through some really gruelsome series, especially against the Pistons, while the Lakers had one of the GOAT teams and an easy road for them.

Look at Kareem's level in 1980 still, his numbers, his impact, advanced stats, awards... He was their leader and clear-cut main-man, he was the only leading the way and playing like a beast, that FMVP belongs to him.
    "Good as Bird ever did"

Bird's probably the most underrated legend at this moment.

Ridiculous.

First of all, KAJ wasn't even on the floor in the CLINCHING game six win on the road in Magic's rookie season.. MAGIC single-handedly carried that Laker team to a title. Hell, KAJ rode Magic's coattails the ENTIRE decade of the 80's. And when Magic missed a playoff game...the Lakers lost.

Bird was awful in the '81 Finals. He didn't win, nor did he deserve, the FMVP. Cedric Maxwell was their clear FMVP, and the numbers supported it. Bird couldn't hit the ocean from a lifeboat in that series (a horrific .419 FG%.)

In the '84 Finals, Bird was shooting miserably, and the Lakers should have swept Boston. And while Magic missed two FTs that would have won game four, he was playing much better than Bird to that point. In fact, Bird had shot .418 from the field in those four games. And while Magic didn't play well in game seven, Bird was no better (he shot 6-18 from the floor in his only game seven of the Finals.)

In '85 Bird was not even the third best player in the series (clearly KAJ, Magic, and Worthy were all superior), and in fact, McHale performed much better, as well.

In the '87 Finals, while Magic completely dominated the Finals, Bird was once again either the 4th or 5th best player on the floor in the series. And, BTW, the Lakers would probably have won that Finals without Kareem, just as they did the very next season with Kareem having the worst Finals ever by a Top-10 player.

And, in that '88 playoff run, while a healthy Bird shot .341 against the Pistons in the ECF's, Magic completely shredded the "Bad Boys" with a 22 ppg .550 Finals (and was clearly the FMVP, despite Worthy stealing it.)

Magic had the better career, and quite simply, was the better player.

Once again, if you include the post-season...

Bird was better in '81 (although his Finals were nothing to write home about), '84 (here again, he was a blown pass, or missed FT away from losing that series, and the FMVP, to Magic), and '86.

Magic was the superior player in '80, '82, '83, '85, '87, '88, '89, '90, and '91.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

You can say Magic's fame grew bigger than Bird's because he played for the Lakers, because he's black in a black-man's sport and because he's more outspoken and stays on the spotlight. No denying that.
    (and btw I'm half-black, or half-white, call it as you see it lol)
    I don't think so. Magic just won more and got more exposed when the NBA was getting more and more popular. That's why some ppl remember Magic dominance more than Kareem dominance too. Bird broke down in the late 80s and early 90s while Magic was still going strong and having debates on whoever was better between him and Michael Jordan.

Larry Bird in the mid 80s was considered to be the best tho. Magic later on. Starting from 87.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    In the '84 Finals, Bird was shooting miserably, and the Lakers should have swept Boston. And while Magic missed two FTs that would have won game four, he was playing much better than Bird to that point. In fact, Bird had shot .418 from the field in those four games. And while Magic didn't play well in game seven, Bird was no better (he shot 6-18 from the floor in his only game seven of the Finals.)
    Well...to be fair, there are a few things that I remembered that happened in that finals. The number 1 thing was that Kareem was usually the main focus on the Celtics defense and drew the double team. They would often let Magic shoot the outside jumper than let Kareem score in the post and such. But Magic was a great shot selection type guy anyway, and always find the perfect shot to take regardless. And anyway, it didn't work. If the double won't come, then Kareem would score. If it did, then Magic always hit that open jumper.

And with the Celtics, the Lakers it was Bird that was their main focal point of shutting down. I wonder how much credit would you give to Michael Cooper guarding him? Regardless, IICR, Bird couldn't finish at the rim in a few games? It's been a while, so I might be wrong. I do remember him hitting some big shots, and the most memorable one was the game winner against Magic. Bird also fought hard for them rebounds. I think often times it was his own misses.

While watching the series, I thought Magic was incredibly efficient, but he did dribble the clock out and miss a couple of FT while Bird was more clutch at the other end. James Worthy also screwed up on the pass. So, the Lakers should've swept them. They obviously had the better talent and better team on the floor., but a few mistakes cost them the series. And even with that said, Bird looked like the real MVP out there and second best player after Kareem for me. And he did play better than Magic imo. Not only did Bird had to work harder for his team, but he also had to deal with a better defender and be clutch which Magic was not in the series.
    Last edited by Micku; 11-23-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Once again, if you include the post-season...

Bird was better in '81 (although his Finals were nothing to write home about), '84 (here again, he was a blown pass, or missed FT away from losing that series, and the FMVP, to Magic), and '86.

Magic was the superior player in '80, '82, '83, '85, '87, '88, '89, '90, and '91.
    Nobody had Magic over bird until 87. Sorry.

Larry Bird "I thought we was going to sweep them in four"
    Magic was talking about 7 games, Bird about 4. Magic was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Ted
    Nobody had Magic over bird until 87. Sorry.
    This doesn't mean that Bird had better seasons every single year - see 1982 or 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Magic was talking about 7 games, Bird about 4. Magic was correct.

This doesn't mean that Bird had better seasons every single year - see 1982 or 1983.
    And once again, AFTER the '84 Finals Bird conceded that the it was the LAKERS who should have swept.

And while Bird scored more in their 37 total H2H's, I find it fascinating it was Magic who had the two highest scoring games (games of 39 and 37 points.)