Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Default Re: Obama sets a food stamp record...AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    America remains one of the most decentralized nations in the world and the "leader of the free world" has less impact on decision making than his counterparts around the world.

Since you are an advocate of smaller government I just want to point out that centralizing certain aspects can actually result in reduction of redundancy and government.
    In what ways do we have less impact on decision making around the world than our counterparts?

Regardless, I wasn't talking about our decision making around the world.. I'm talking about within our borders. Are we more decentralized than China? You're probably right.. but China isn't what we should aspire to. IMO

As for sustainability It seems we have a different understanding of the word. As long as America (tiny minority) is addicted to consuming a large percentage of the worlds resources then sustainability will remain a large issue.
    I agree. The only caveat I'd add is that in the past, America rightfully enjoyed our high standard of living. I don't believe the American consumer society was always unsustainable. It was very sustainable when it was built on production, savings, capital, investment, etc. It is unsustainable today because it's built on debt and money printing.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Your argument is backwards and misaligned. It's the federal government waging all of those wars you listed. States rights would be a great way to fight AGAINST that sort of garbage.

Right now we have 1 state handing down trash laws for 50 other states to follow. Imagine if the state of Texas made the rules for the rest of us? And whatever Texas did, we all had to follow it? That's what we have right now coming from Washington DC.

Washington DC wants to invade Iraq based on lies? 50 states have no say in the matter. Washington DC wants to wage war on drugs? All the states fund it. Washington DC wants to have 35% income taxes, states have no recourse.

Forget the fact that I'm a libertarian, this just sounds like the most cockamamie idea I've ever heard. For a country that likes to call itself "free" and talk about personal liberties, what is so free and personal about 1 city handing down dictates on 50 states to this degree?
    My argument is NOT backwards. I know that feds don't want pot to be legal. I know that. Saying that I want government to force it to be legal in all states doesn't not mean that's what I think government does want. I know that. I know that want to crackdown. But I also have my doubts that it would be legal in every state if everything is just left to the states. And I'm tired of waiting on states to approve. Thousands of people are being locked up, and I'm tired of waiting for states to stop it.

So yes, I understand that government is currently working against my wishes. Just because I don't believe that no government is the answer, that doesn't mean I approve of what they're currently doing. Please don't mistaken me for a Democrat. I don't want states deciding on pot and gay marriage. Maybe I'm not a hardcore libertarian, but I am more libertarian than a lot of the democrats.

In what ways do we have less impact on decision making around the world than our counterparts?

Regardless, I wasn't talking about our decision making around the world.. I'm talking about within our borders. Are we more decentralized than China? You're probably right.. but China isn't what we should aspire to. IMO
    I meant the Canadian or British Prime minster have more decision making powers than the American President. The American system gives too much power to congress/senate so much so that they can filibuster what the majority want.

Also there is nothing wrong with aspiring or emulating other countries if they are doing things correctly, that includes even China. The Chinese in some aspects are a great story, highest saving rates/lowest debt.

If you believe individual states can learn from each other in a decentralized union. Then couldn't America as a nation also learn from countries that have lower debt rates, lower crime rates, better health outcomes, and better k-12 education.

I agree. The only caveat I'd add is that in the past, America rightfully enjoyed our high standard of living. I don't believe the American consumer society was always unsustainable. It was very sustainable when it was built on production, savings, capital, investment, etc. It is unsustainable today because it's built on debt and money printing.
    The world populations continues to skyrocket and putting increase strain on the world resources. I don't believe it truly matter if America was debt free if one American child consumes as much as 7 in developing nations.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

Fun thread.

NBA Superstar

Letting private charity replace welfare would do a hell of a lot good for this country. For starters, it'd separate the freeloaders from those who are in an unfortunate situation and want to work out of it.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/09/fo...-participants/

What's a shame is the shit the obese slobs that are a large part of food stamp nation are allowed to buy... frozen pizza, frozen nuggets, and cases of Big Red.
    You are a real piece of sh!t.