Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Things you learned from experience during a game

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Same here.
    I always dribble toward a defender with my back to him. I don't mind doing it so much, but it makes it seem like I lack handles. I don't have great ball handling skills but I'm decent, if I'd say so myself.
    As for my shot, whenever I'm going for a J, I jump forward. I've stepped on a few people's feet or kicked a couple guys in the shin before because of this. My form is always inconsistent and no matter how hard I try to work at improving it, I always lose the perfect form whenever I play 21 or a pickup game.

man i'm in the same situation as you like everytime i play pickup game my shot is mess up.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Well, I feel my wrists are getting better from a brace I got yesterday. I put it on for just one night, so I'm not really sure. Tried playing basketball for the first time after 3 weeks and I felt really weak. I could barely catch a ball, I couldn't shoot farther than 15 feet, and when I tried to shotfake, I let go of the ball.
    I am interested in the comment Swaggin916 made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    If you are more of role player, you are always going to have those games where you don't get a lot of touches or do much to effect the game... sometimes it works out that way and it is frustrating when you lose. If you win... there is always another game.

So... either you can continue to be a role player and be frustrated sometimes... or you can start taking the steps toward becoming the focal point of a team AKA the main ball handler... and that takes a lot of practice. I know for me, I was never comfortable being the main ball handler for a while... I'd get on a team that wasn't very good or just didn't have anybody that could handle the ball real well and make plays... and I'd want to do it, but I just wasn't good enough. Now, I have the ability to do it because I've practiced, studied the game, and now am confident enough in my ability to beat defenders and make good decisions. You are still going to have bad games, but at least you know it's on you and maybe sometime during that game you start deferring to others because you are having a bad game... trust me, it's better than having an uneventful game as a role player.

From experience tho... like these guys have been saying, going for offensive boards, cutting... just hustling your ass off... you rarely ever have those uneventful games because you are constantly in the mix. For me... I haven't been able to do any of that due to injury. When I play, I'm either the main ball handler (and just basically the guy who brings it up court and tries to set people up without doing anything too strenuous) or simply being a spot up shooter. Being a spot up shooter is the worst cus every other game can be uneventful.
    I feel like I should become this player. I swear out of all the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors I see playing outside, there are only 3 of them. I must strive to become that guy. The group I play with in basketball are a bunch of role players. Through the training I did before I was injured, I know I'm ready. The only freshmen who's that guy just told me to "let them do their thing". Sometimes he has like 8 turnovers in a pick up game, but he just makes it seem like he never had a turnover. I need advice from other players, but would be awesome if Swaggin came since he's an example of one.

I thought about what I said about being that player and it's just being a point guard haha. I'm going to start weight training this Friday along with skill training tomorrow again. I feel excited and filled with energy to start practicing. I also got a guide I'll follow for my shooting training from a certain orange a certain guy. Time to put in work again weee. Also during the time of me not spending my time in basketball, I got a job which will allow me to pay for a new hoop at home in my backyard(got broken from being used) and one of those nets that give the ball back to me from a miss or make. It's really going to accelerate my shooting and give me an edge so a yeah. Got everything all planned and it's going perfectly with a few minor nuisances(like my injury that stopped me from practicing these last 4 weeks lol).

Dunking on everybody in the park

getting to your spot....

i use to think I can score from anywhere and that becus i have a good jumper i can pull that trigger from anywhere...

wrong...

I know my game better now, left elbow around freethrow line and a foot out is practically 90% for me. I can do all sorts there, step back, fade away, jumper, hesistation pull up, it just goes in.

Consequently baseline jumpers = 60%...

Just the way it is...

Yea baseline jumpers are harder. You just don't get very many of them so game experience is hard to come by.

Practice has been going good lately. It changed from me doing 1/5 of it in 2 hours to 2/5 of it in 2 hours in a week. It seems that the competition is getting worse at the playground blacktops at my school, so the group that I run with has to find better competition at a park or something.

Something I found out: It seems that the best competition for me is in high school games. In the playground black tops, the competition isn't that much and is not serious and in the parks that I play at, I don't have enough athleticism and skills yet to match with the 20-30 year olds(I think I'll be able to run with them with them accepting me as a fellow basketball player instead of a random kid after I get enough athleticism by the end of june to dunk on their court haha).

I'm going to stop doing Vertical Jump Bible and move on to The Jump Manual next week. I should have done more with the Vertical Jump Bible, but the past is past. Training is going good so far. It's starting to get somewhat boring though lol. A guy tried doing my training for an hour and he just went nuts and started doing something else.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyflay
    I'm going to stop doing Vertical Jump Bible and move on to The Jump Manual next week. I should have done more with the Vertical Jump Bible, but the past is past. Training is going good so far. It's starting to get somewhat boring though lol. A guy tried doing my training for an hour and he just went nuts and started doing something else.
    You should at least finish the program... take a break and then start something else. The key to getting gains after the first month is consistency and simply switching up exercises.

You should at least finish the program... take a break and then start something else. The key to getting gains after the first month is consistency and simply switching up exercises.

Well I completed the first phase of the novice strength training and I'm also need 3 more weeks to complete all 4 phases of the bodyweight strength training. It's just that I got the PDF only and it really doesn't seem that helpful. I'm happy with the results from just 6 months(added posting to my game), but I am limited in time(will be joining basketball team in summer and practice is around july and will train my endurance in the summer). The Jump Manual takes 12 weeks so If I buy it next week or so I'll still have an extra week of weight training and testing out things(I'm assuming that there will be 3 weeks of training and 1 week of resting on each phase). Also, I'll won't be able to do any vertical jump training from the start of july to may next year. Then for the rest of my 3 years, I'll only have may and june to do personal training. I just have to do this..

Serious playground baller

Well I completed the first phase of the novice strength training and I'm also need 3 more weeks to complete all 4 phases of the bodyweight strength training. It's just that I got the PDF only and it really doesn't seem that helpful. I'm happy with the results from just 6 months(added posting to my game), but I am limited in time(will be joining basketball team in summer and practice is around july and will train my endurance in the summer). The Jump Manual takes 12 weeks so If I buy it next week or so I'll still have an extra week of weight training and testing out things(I'm assuming that there will be 3 weeks of training and 1 week of resting on each phase). Also, I'll won't be able to do any vertical jump training from the start of july to may next year. Then for the rest of my 3 years, I'll only have may and june to do personal training. I just have to do this..

One thing to take into account is that since you have been training your vert the jump manual will not be as effective for you as it would a beginner.

Banned

Playing point guard can be quite fun, i've always predominantly more of a shooting guard because i have a decent shot and can penetrate and finish well inside and usually play alongside others who will drive and dish.

It was only last week when i was playing with a team of players who aren't all that good at creating their own shot or penetrating the defence that i started to drive more often because i had the ball more often and pulled a few nice passes while i was at it and i gotta say the feeling you get when you make a great pass is something i could get used to

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by KokoWarzone
    man i'm in the same situation as you like everytime i play pickup game my shot is mess up.
    this!

I thought the opposite was true.

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    One thing to take into account is that since you have been training your vert the jump manual will not be as effective for you as it would a beginner.

I thought the opposite was true.
    You always make the greatest gains when you first start. The fact that you have already been training your vert means that gains will come slower.

You always make the greatest gains when you first start. The fact that you have already been training your vert means that gains will come slower.
    dam, that sucks. I thought I was still considered a beginner, because my vertical for 1 legged jumping, 2 legged jumping, and standing still jumping is almost the same(got it from the Vertical Jump Bible)