Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Default Re: Ask Grinder anything about basketball.

Kevin Love I noticed in your 2011 OP was one of your fav players.

I think we all were taken back by this college player that at one time was considered a tweener , and might land as a lengthy SF... but worked exceptionally hard pre draft work outs and bulked up to be considered a drafty as a PF.
    Once on the floor with minutes (rambis) he produced like few rookies do with boards and a nice outside touch.
    Many thought his numbers would go down after averaging some pretty eye popping board numbers as well as showing a offensive game.

------------
    This past off season , CBA contract summer , he was on the volley ball court , and many people thought alot of NBA players would show out of shape.
    Love instead not only improved his touch , but his quickness and his numbers show he is not declining , and staying where he was last year , but still improving his game , by playing better defense.

What do you like about his 2012 season (game) and do you think he has the potential to get his team to the playoff's ?

FYI - he is one of my fav players as well - simply because he works so hard

I feel devotion Fiba basketball's Avatar

10 best coaches in basketball history ? What was the best team you ever seen and what team do you think had a bigest chanace of beating them ?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Not sure if its been asked already, but Harrison Barnes or Michael Gilchrist? Who do u see having the better NBA career?
    I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I'm a bit partial to MKG. I think it depends on what you need on your team. If you already have a scoring point guard or a big time wing scorer, then Gilchrist is your guy. If you need scoring and perimeter shooting at the 3 spot, then you take Barnes.

I think Gilchrist will have a better career because you just don't see guys with his combination of heart, motor, and elite defensive ability often. Both guys are stars in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by zac
    I agree with most of that. Josh Davis will likely be cut soon or just used as a DNP once Haddadi is back. He's been waiting on a work visa to get cleared and he's in Canada right now because it's supposed to go through today so Haddadi should be in uniform this weekend or the beginning of next week. Speights has been great though, his midrange is killer and he's actually started driving in and using his size more and has been stepping up his rebounds a ton, and he's not a great defender but he's big enough to disrupt people and he's been pretty good at taking charges. I like Cunningham but he's mainly a small ball PF and could be Rudy's backup at SF when needed. OJ Mayo is by far the wildcard to this teams success, like scoring 14 in the 4th quarter last night. He's got his shot and confidence back.
    Yep, it's hard to argue how well the Grizzlies have been playing lately. Most of that comes down to Juice playing much better and seemingly coming to terms with his role off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
    GRINDER:

Fix the Wizards

Assume they have a top 2 draft pick. Feel free to add FAs, etc.

Go!
    1. Get rid of Andray Blatche. Doesn't matter if you don't get anything back.
    2. Draft Anthony Davis
    3. Sign a veteran bench scorer. Leandro Barbosa? If they can get Mayo, that'd be great, but I doubt it's a viable option.
    4. Re-sign Nick Young
    5. Hold on to Lewis and let his huge contract expire

John Wall - Leandro Barbosa- Shelvin Mack
    Nick Young - Jordan Crawford
    Jan Vesely - Chris Singleton - Rashard Lewis
    Anthony Davis - Trevor Booker
    JaVale McGee - Kevin Seraphin

They'd have a great running team, the longest and most athletic front court int he league. The shot blocking and alley oop potential would be unparalleled and make "Lob City" look weak.

My live observations on the Wizards-Celtics game right now can be found here.

Banned

Since I made a thread about it...

1. Who is the best scorer in the league? List top 5 if you want or don't mind.
    2. How do you determine who the best scorer in the league is?
    3. How much does versatility play a part in your decision on who the best scorer in the league is?

I just want to add something before you guys answer. I don't think it is as simple as looking at superior ppg, TS%, eFG%, FG, etc. If that were the case than Michael Jordan in the late 80s was a better scorer than Michael Jordan was in the early 90s and anyone who has followed his career or know anything about MJ really would know that's not the truth. I'm not just talking about the minutes either because if we were to adjust it per minute or per 36 minute, his late 80s scoring stats were better than his early 90s ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Faptastrophe
    Grinder, your input on THIS, please?
    Chris Paul / Derrick Rose / Deron Williams
    Kobe Bryant / Dwyane Wade
    Lebron James / Carmelo Anthony
    Kevin Durant / Chris Bosh
    Dwight Howard / Lamarcus Aldridge / Kevin Love

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigy
    Your thoughts on Jonas Valanciunas and his potential upon coming over to the NBA?
    A big time prospect that could be a game changer for the Raptors. I think he's exactly the kind of guy you need next to Bargnani. He's got great size, excellent hands, runs the floor like a gazelle, and is an excellent free throw shooter. He'll never be a force on the block, but he does have his go to sweeping hook shot over his right shoulder which looks to be pretty effective.

He proved that he can hold his own against big time competition against France and Spain. I don't like the situation he's in now playing with selfish guards that don't feature him in the offense, but his offensive game will take off playing with a great passer like Calderon. I also believe that his game is more suited to the NBA than the congested lanes and slower paced play in Europe.

He doesn't shoot a ton of jumpers, but you can see from his free throw shooting that he'll be able to knock down that mid range J consistently sooner than later. The Raptors made a smart choice in selecting him, even if they have to wait a year. Look how the Rubio pick is paying dividends for the Wolves.

The champ is here. The Big Skinny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    Yep, it's hard to argue how well the Grizzlies have been playing lately. Most of that comes down to Juice playing much better and seemingly coming to terms with his role off the bench.

1. Get rid of Andray Blatche. Doesn't matter if you don't get anything back.
    2. Draft Anthony Davis
    3. Sign a veteran bench scorer. Leandro Barbosa? If they can get Mayo, that'd be great, but I doubt it's a viable option.
    4. Re-sign Nick Young
    5. Hold on to Lewis and let his huge contract expire

John Wall - Leandro Barbosa- Shelvin Mack
    Nick Young - Jordan Crawford
    Jan Vesely - Chris Singleton - Rashard Lewis
    Anthony Davis - Trevor Booker
    JaVale McGee - Kevin Seraphin

They'd have a great running team, the longest and most athletic front court int he league. The shot blocking and alley oop potential would be unparalleled and make "Lob City" look weak.

My live observations on the Wizards-Celtics game right now can be found here.
    Interesting. I looked at it differently.

I would get rid of Andray Blatche. Hopefully get a decent player or draft picks out of that)

Draft Andre Drummond

Re-Sign Nick Young

Amnesty Rashard Lewis

And finally see if I can get a starting caliber SF in FA.

PG: Wall, Mack
    SG: Young, Crawford
    SF: X, Chris Singleton
    PF: X, Jan Vesely
    C: JaVale McGee, Andre Drummond

May be wishful thinking, but with the current squad we have, I can see Ted Leonsis making a splash to re-tool the starting line-up.

Another Option would be to Let go of Andray Blatche AND JaVale McGee and go after Roy Hibbert. Draft Harrison Barnes. Possibly trade Blatche and McGee for another PF. Maybe Al Jefferson or Millsap.

We will have a ton of cap room...

SF: Barnes, Singleton
    PF: Millsap, Vesely
    SF: Hibbert, Turiaf

Thoughts?
    Last edited by The Big Skinny; 01-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Interesting. I looked at it differently.

I would get rid of Andray Blatche. Hopefully get a decent player or draft picks out of that)

Draft Andre Drummond

Re-Sign Nick Young

Amnesty Rashard Lewis

And finally see if I can get a starting caliber SF in FA.

SF: X, Chris Singleton
    PF: X, Jan Vesely
    C: JaVale McGee, Andre Drummond

May be wishful thinking, but with the current squad we have, I can see Ted Leonsis making a splash to re-tool the starting line-up.

Another Option would be to Let go of Andray Blatche AND JaVale McGee and go after Roy Hibbert. Draft Harrison Barnes. Possibly trade Blatche and McGee for another PF. Maybe Al Jefferson or Millsap.

We will have a ton of cap room...

SF: Barnes, Singleton
    PF: Millsap, Vesely
    SF: Hibbert, Turiaf

Thoughts?
    Vesely is a SF , he can be a PF but he is much better playing as a SF . I like your team but I dont think they would be good enough to make the playoffs .

The champ is here. The Big Skinny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
    Vesely is a SF , he can be a PF but he is much better playing as a SF . I like your team but I dont think they would be good enough to make the playoffs .
    Honestly from what I've seen, which is every wizards game, he does not look like he can play SF. He has a weak jumper, no 3 pt shot and isn't much of a ball handler. He is a heck of an offensive rebounder and can finish in the lane.

Honestly from what I've seen, which is every wizards game, he does not look like he can play SF. He has a weak jumper, no 3 pt shot and isn't much of a ball handler. He is a heck of an offensive rebounder and can finish in the lane.
    Yes , but he isnt strong enough . He can guard a SF and has a hight advantage if a team has a good rebounder at PF and Vesely at SF it would be great rebounding team .

Quote Originally Posted by Glide2keva
    Given Russell Westbrook's new deal, do you think he is overpaid?

I do and I was looking to see if I'm on a island on this one.
    I don't think he was overpaid. Franchise point guards aren't easy to come by and when you've got a young core of all stars, I feel that you must keep them together at all costs. For all the criticism he takes for being selfish, he's still a damn good player and the going rate for guys that can give you his production at that age is valued right around what his contract is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    Kevin Love I noticed in your 2011 OP was one of your fav players.

I think we all were taken back by this college player that at one time was considered a tweener , and might land as a lengthy SF... but worked exceptionally hard pre draft work outs and bulked up to be considered a drafty as a PF.
    Once on the floor with minutes (rambis) he produced like few rookies do with boards and a nice outside touch.
    Many thought his numbers would go down after averaging some pretty eye popping board numbers as well as showing a offensive game.

------------
    This past off season , CBA contract summer , he was on the volley ball court , and many people thought alot of NBA players would show out of shape.
    Love instead not only improved his touch , but his quickness and his numbers show he is not declining , and staying where he was last year , but still improving his game , by playing better defense.

What do you like about his 2012 season (game) and do you think he has the potential to get his team to the playoff's ?

FYI - he is one of my fav players as well - simply because he works so hard
    He was a bit of a tweener in college, but more of a PF/C rather than a PF/SF.

What do I like about his game this season?
    I like that he's been working on hitting jumpers off the dribble, step back Js, etc

What do you think about the Melo trade in hindsight?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    What do you think about the Melo trade in hindsight?
    You've just opened Pandora's box.