Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Really in need of help of shot fixing!

When I shoot, I always unnaturally turn to the left in midair. I tried fixing it today by form shooting and if I screw up I jump 10 times in a shooting motion.
I could only get like 1/10 to jump correctly up.

I then experimented with some shot forms. When I changed my shot form to the right, I got a bit more power but it kept on going to the right and missing. When I changed it back to the original one, I just kept on airballing but it was spot on the center of the rim(the flight of the ball was perfect too). When I changed it dramatically twist my body before shooting(feet towards basket but my whole body is twisted), I kept on making it and had A LOT more power.

However it felt super unnatural to just keep on twisting my body and the flight of the ball goes from right as if it was going to airball to the left swishing the shot. How should I rebuild my shot?
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
gblz
I airball my layups

gblz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Really in need of help of shot fixing!

Start from under the basket and work your way up. Your body should be squared to the basket when you shoot, not twisting to either direction. It also sounds like you may be relying too much on your wrist for power - this causes the side spin and the different trajectory. Remember, most of the power in your shot comes from the lower body and your elbow, arm and wrist are only there to direct and support the ball.

It'd be helpful if you can post a video of your shot so we can give you better advice. For now, start close to the basket and work on your fundamentals. Pay attention to squaring your shoulder and core to the basket, and work on a consistent release.
gblz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

One thing Bobby, and THIS IS NOT A POST TRYING TO BASH YOU.
You should stick to repetitions of what you feel more comfortable doing .. i'm lurker on streetball forum right now, and i see some threads with questions (yes, relevant questions) but that aren't going to help you a lot.

Nobody is going to have a perfect technic of releasing a shoot, even if you are Ray Allen (see his free throws, he barelly use his legs which should happen).

In my opinon shooting ability is about being consistent, and how do you do that? Repetitions with a form that you feel more comfortable.

I can say that my shoot looks like i shoot with both hands, but if you analize from behind you see that my left hand (i'm lefty) is doing all the work most of the time.. it's not great in terms of mechanics but it's effective, that's what you need.

I hope that you understand my point, i'm not trying to get serious at you
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think Maga makes a really good point and I think gblz offered some great advice. It's pretty clear that nearly every basketball player seems to have their own way of shooting. It's the reason NBA 2K11 has signature jumpshots. Everyone's different; some even vastly so (Shawn Marion, Josh Childress, Bill Cartwright). However, generally speaking, I do think there are a some steps you can take to help clear up your form a little bit in this case.

Like gblz mentioned, as a general principle of shooting, one's body should be square to the basket. This may sound obvious, but squaring up means having one's feet and shoulders pointed at the basket. It can't be one or the other. It must be both. My little brother (8th grade) does a great job of squaring his shoulders to the hoop, but his feet always seem to be pointed almost at a 90 degree angle away from the bucket. This means every time he takes a shot, he must consciously twist his torso in order to square up his shoulders.

Can he make shots this way? Yep. Is it reliable? Not so much. Having non-squared feet (or non-squared shoulders) means every shot requires an exactly precise body twist. It feels like using a protractor for a jump shot. Everything becomes an unconscious calculation that requires absolute precision to yield the proper result.

I subscribe to the school of "Make shooting as easy of a process as possible". A couple of things I do before I even begin my shooting motion:

1) I have a wide stance. When coaching, I always do this test: I have a player stand up straight with his feet together. I tell him I'm going to push him a little and to be ready to catch himself. I give him a nudge (when his feet are together) and he must catch himself from falling. I then tell that same player to stand with his feet about shoulder width apart. I push him again. He doesn't budge.

I do this demonstration to illustrate the benefit of having a wide shooting stance. With two feet close together, every jumper becomes an excercise in maintaining perfect, centralized balance. If a shooter with a closed stance catches a pass coming from left to right, are they going to be able to square their body and balance in time to shoot a shot without any sort of lean or drift? Perhaps, but again, I like making things easy, so I suggest the wide stance to centralize one's weight distribution and balance every single time. A good jump shot needs consistency.

2) I square my feet and shoulders. I discussed why.

3) I make sure my shooting elbow is not pointed outward. I treat a jumpshot like a catapult. If I wanted to catapult a watermelon in a straight line over a wall, how would I most accurately go about this? Well, one, I'd point the catapult directly at my target (squaring up). And two, I'd make sure the arm of the catapult extended and fired in a straight line (directly at my target).

The twisting and the turning you're describing makes it sound as if you may have forfeited proper form for power at one point (likely at a young age) and never kicked the habit. Again like glbz mentioned, use those legs for power, not the twisting of your body and arms. And ensure your off-hand is being used only to guide the basketball, not to propel it.

Essentially, keep it straight and simple. Could we make a catapult with a crooked base and an arm that could still fire accurately even if it fired from a funky angle? Yes, but why would we do that? It'd just be easier to square that thing up and fire it straight at our target.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 06-20-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
magic14
I brick open layups

magic14 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
One thing Bobby, and THIS IS NOT A POST TRYING TO BASH YOU.
You should stick to repetitions of what you feel more comfortable doing .. i'm lurker on streetball forum right now, and i see some threads with questions (yes, relevant questions) but that aren't going to help you a lot.

Nobody is going to have a perfect technic of releasing a shoot, even if you are Ray Allen (see his free throws, he barelly use his legs which should happen).

In my opinon shooting ability is about being consistent, and how do you do that? Repetitions with a form that you feel more comfortable.

I can say that my shoot looks like i shoot with both hands, but if you analize from behind you see that my left hand (i'm lefty) is doing all the work most of the time.. it's not great in terms of mechanics but it's effective, that's what you need.

I hope that you understand my point, i'm not trying to get serious at you

Maga basically has it all right here. If you really want to change your shot, wait until the summer where you have ~3 months to practice outside the basketball season. Otherwise, just keep practicing with what you're comfortable with.

However Maga, you are wrong about Ray Allen. The reason basketball players don't jump on free throws is because throughout the game their legs get more tired and and their jumping will not be the same at the beginning of the game compared to the end. The more factors you take out of you're free throws the more consistent you will be, and in Ray Allen's case, since he barely bends his knees, he only has to focus on his arms shooting it the same every time.
magic14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic14
However Maga, you are wrong about Ray Allen. The reason basketball players don't jump on free throws is because throughout the game their legs get more tired and and their jumping will not be the same at the beginning of the game compared to the end. The more factors you take out of you're free throws the more consistent you will be, and in Ray Allen's case, since he barely bends his knees, he only has to focus on his arms shooting it the same every time.
I may respectfully disagree with you here. For starters, for whatever reason Ray Allen does not bend his knees at the line, it works for him. He's a dead-eye free-throw shooter, I fully acknowledge that. And I see you were making reference as to why players don't jump from the free throw line, as opposed to why some may not bend their knees so I'll tackle that part first.

I never really considered why players don't jump from the line but I think the reason I'd ever jump on a mid-range J would be to allow myself to fire over a defender. If I'm at the free throw line, I do not need to worry about a closing defense. Secondly, and I'd have to try this out, but I feel like there'd be a possibility of me stepping over the line if I were to jump during a free throw. In that case, I think I'd have to take a step or two backward, turning a fifteen foot attempt into a 16-16.5 foot attempt (which, for as small of an adjustment as that'd seem to be, would still make a big difference).

But anyway, in regards to not using one's legs at the free throw line to conserve energy, I very much disagree. An entire body will become fatigued over the course of a basketball game. This includes the upper body and arms. There have clearly been exceptions to this rule, but typically I have found a free throw using equal parts legs and arms to be the best possible strategy during a basketball game. Correctly using one's legs during a foul shot will make them feel like lay-ups, where a limited amount of arm-strength will be necessary. I feel an easy feel, easy release, and easy follow-through are generally all keys to a successful free throw. And I believe this ease is gained most commonly through the use of one's legs (i.e. the bending of the knees and using such propulsion to power the shot).

At the end of ball games, when I am most fatigued, I have always found using my legs on free throws to be my key to success. I find shooting to be much more of a chore of constant calculation when I use just my arms. My legs, even when I'm tired, are what make my accurate free throw shooting possible.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
magic14
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I may respectfully disagree with you here. For starters, for whatever reason Ray Allen does not bend his knees at the line, it works for him. He's a dead-eye free-throw shooter, I fully acknowledge that. And I see you were making reference as to why players don't jump from the free throw line, as opposed to why some may not bend their knees so I'll tackle that part first.

I never really considered why players don't jump from the line but I think the reason I'd ever jump on a mid-range J would be to allow myself to fire over a defender. If I'm at the free throw line, I do not need to worry about a closing defense. Secondly, and I'd have to try this out, but I feel like there'd be a possibility of me stepping over the line if I were to jump during a free throw. In that case, I think I'd have to take a step or two backward, turning a fifteen foot attempt into a 16-16.5 foot attempt (which, for as small of an adjustment as that'd seem to be, would still make a big difference).

But anyway, in regards to not using one's legs at the free throw line to conserve energy, I very much disagree. An entire body will become fatigued over the course of a basketball game. This includes the upper body and arms. There have clearly been exceptions to this rule, but typically I have found a free throw using equal parts legs and arms to be the best possible strategy during a basketball game. Correctly using one's legs during a foul shot will make them feel like lay-ups, where a limited amount of arm-strength will be necessary. I feel an easy feel, easy release, and easy follow-through are generally all keys to a successful free throw. And I believe this ease is gained most commonly through the use of one's legs (i.e. the bending of the knees and using such propulsion to power the shot).

At the end of ball games, when I am most fatigued, I have always found using my legs on free throws to be my key to success. I find shooting to be much more of a chore of constant calculation when I use just my arms. My legs, even when I'm tired, are what make my accurate free throw shooting possible.
While this is true for the average person, NBA players are far from average. 99% of them are athletic freaks that are strong enough to shoot half court shots sitting down with no wind up. Most NBA players don't need to use their legs at all but do it out of repetition. If you've seen Wilt Chamberlain play, he had to stand near the three point line on free throws so he wouldn't overshoot it. Or Shaq who has to keep the ball on his fingertips and shoot his free throws like teardrops because he's too strong.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
While this is true for the average person, NBA players are far from average. 99% of them are athletic freaks that are strong enough to shoot half court shots sitting down with no wind up. Most NBA players don't need to use their legs at all but do it out of repetition. If you've seen Wilt Chamberlain play, he had to stand near the three point line on free throws so he wouldn't overshoot it. Or Shaq who has to keep the ball on his fingertips and shoot his free throws like teardrops because he's too strong.

Its pretty hard to use NBA players as examples when talking about shooting. I always teach kids to keep their elbow into their side when they shoot but if you watch players like Kobe his always seems to flare out. The difference is Kobe probably takes over a 1000 shots a day. I think he has to make something like 150 in a row before he quits a workout.

I am not a very good shooter. Recently I have been shooting better from the 3 point line than I have from inside the paint and I probably shoot 40% from the 3 point line on a good day. My biggest problem is everytime I shoot I make small corrections so I shoot different every time. I know this and tell myself to stop doing it but I guess because I try to teach the game and don't really have that much experince I kind of over correct
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
redhonda76
Go NY GO NY GO

redhonda76 is considered somewhat coolredhonda76 is considered somewhat cool

IMO, everyone's shooting form are very different. Dirk, Ray, Redd, Nash, Jordan, Kobe, Carter and others , all of their shooting forms are different from each other. But all of them snap their wrist on the release. The key is practice and consistency.
redhonda76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:

Wilt never played with a 3 point line
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
magic14
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
Its pretty hard to use NBA players as examples when talking about shooting. I always teach kids to keep their elbow into their side when they shoot but if you watch players like Kobe his always seems to flare out. The difference is Kobe probably takes over a 1000 shots a day. I think he has to make something like 150 in a row before he quits a workout.

Yea most NBA players practiced hours every day by themselves when they were young so some of them became good at shooting in unorthodox ways.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
$LakerGold
#TeamMir #TeamRousey

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Wilt never played with a 3 point line
He was talkin about his free throw thing..

Quote:
If you've seen Wilt Chamberlain play, he had to stand near the three point line on free throws so he wouldn't overshoot it.
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: