Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 11-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
ukballer
NBA rookie of the year

ukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Your thoughts on stat-padding/kill-whoring

I'm subbed to a few youtube commentators whose main games to commentate over and talk about are CoD, Battlefield, etc etc. Watching a video just now by someone called WingsOfRedemption (I'm sure some of you know who he is), and he talks about stat-padding in the game. Basically, looking to get yours, looking to get the best K/D ratio possible, taking pride in it, and whether it's 'right' or not.

This could be helping the team if you're playing an objective type game, playing the slayer type role of cleaning up fools whilst the rest of the team are free to cap some flags. It might be hindering them because you're going all out for kills when really you should be playing more defensively.

What are your opinions on stat-padding/kill-whoring or whatever you want to call it? Is it acceptable in your eyes? Do you take pride in your own K/D ratio in a game over your wins/losses ratio? When you go to play some games of CoD for example, are you going in with the mindset of "kills kills kills", or are you looking to just help the team in whatever way you can? Of course, getting as many kills as possible often helps the team. But not all the time, especially if you're not such a good player.

Personally? I think I worry a bit too much about my own stats, as silly as it may sound to some of you. I like having a better K/D than my friends, having monster games just to show people that I can etc. But at the same time, I end up more pissed if we lose the game compared to when I have a bad individual game. I guess I have a healthy balance of playing for myself, and the team.

Sorry for the essay. TL;DR.
ukballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:59 AM   #2
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Your thoughts on stat-padding/kill-whoring

Camping to get a good k/d takes away any purpose of getting a good one to me. Anyone can camp in a corner and rack up many kills with few deaths. I'd rather run around and get 30 kills with some deaths rather than go 10-0 camping.

It bores me.

I think it's slightly unreasonable however to expect everyone to play the objective in a game type like Domination in COD.

Picking off guys close to the flags is a fine strategy IMO which helps your teammates capture the flags. COD will never be a heavily team based game in my eyes.

Sadly, most people just camp to get good stats for their own benefit and that's the reality.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
pete's montreux
Blu Rayô Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm always pretty torn on this one. When I played Combat Arms, after a certain point where there was no room to advance, all I did was KD farm, but the thing is, I didn't do it against noobs. I just played the same map over and over again. I was very good at it and it didn't matter who the competition was, I'd average a 4-5 KD every single time and go 60-15 or whatever. That was fine to me.

As far as moving on to BF series, I stopped caring about KD and started caring about wins. I do whatever it takes to help the team. If I'm recon, I'm protecting a side, dropping radio beacons, spotting enemies, etc. I take full advantage of the class I'm using. I frequently go like 6-1 or 7-2 or something like that over the course of a very long game, but end up with several thousand points for dropping radio beacons and spotting enemies and protecting m-coms.

I'm so much more satisfied personally helping a team win then having a good KD. I wouldn't give a shit if I went 1-1, as long as we won the round.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

I was complaining in the BF3 thread that my k/d ratio is only 0.50 only because I set a standard for myself of being 0.70 or slightly better. I donít care if Iím at 1 or higher. So yes I would like to get to a certain point, but Iím not shooting to rack up kills at the expense of my teamís objectives
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i play hard and get good k/d dont care if we win or not i do my part
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
BEAST Griffin
SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

BEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat coolBEAST Griffin is considered somewhat cool

It's just a video game. Couldn't care less.
BEAST Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: