Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Cleveland Cavaliers Edition

No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
    Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
    Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
    Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
    Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413

Today's team?

[COLOR="DarkRed"]THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

PG - Irving/Jack
    SG - Waiters/Miles/Karasev/Felix
    SF - Clark/Gee
    PF - Thompson/Bennett
    C - Bynum/Verajao/Zeller

Head Coach - Mike Brown
    General Manager - Chris Grant
    [/COLOR]

1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks.

3. CONSPIRACY TRUE or FALSE: Mike Brown was predominantly rehired to help recruit Lebron James.

4. TRUE or FALSE: Picking Anthony Bennett first overall was a mistake.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Cleveland Cavaliers will make the playoffs this season.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

BONUS 1. TRUE or FALSE: Bynum, Verajao, Thompson, Bennett, Clark, Zeller: If healthy, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league.

BONUS 2. TRUE or FALSE: Dion Waiters will develop into a legit 2nd option.

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Dallas Mavericks[/COLOR]. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Mavericks? Send me a PM with ideas.

College superstar

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Cleveland Cavaliers Edition

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks.

3. CONSPIRACY TRUE or FALSE: Mike Brown was predominantly rehired to help recruit Lebron James.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

BONUS 1. TRUE or FALSE: Bynum, Verajao, Thompson, Bennett, Clark, Zeller: If healthy, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league.

Man, about time! Yes, I wait for these.

1) Kyrie and Varejao are the only two I"m comfortable saying "yes" too. However, they're both on the team... There are a lot of question marks with players like Bennett, Dion, and particularly Bynum, but I say True.

2) As with ANY trade, it depends on what they get for him, and it also depends on Bynum. If Bynum is back to being a force (20/10 stuff) then there's no need to trade Varejao; he complements Bynum well and is a very quality backup big on a contending team (which Cavs are if Bynum is a force).

3) Never considered that as a possibility, so False.

4) Time will tell.

5) True.

6) False, because I am not about to consider two rookies in a "deepest" discussion, plus Clark.. really? When I think "frontcourt" I don't think SF, and when I think Clark, I don't think PF.

7) Early returns were.... great energizer bunny off the bench. Then he started to stabilize a bit. Definitely has it in him, but I'd rather have him as my third option. For some reason I just feel like he's so inconsistent... boom or bust kind of scoring.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

1. True if Bennett can successfully turn himself into a 3 and if Kyrie learns how to run an offense and set up teammates and if Bynum can return to all-star form, then maybe this team could contend in a few years.

2. True if I were the Cavs I would try to trade him for a defense first young SG and move Waiters to sixth man.

3. False

4. True he's an undersized 4 that's too slow to play the 3. If I were the Cavs I would've either drafted Oladipo/ McLemore and move Waiters to 6th man, or draft Otto Porter. IMO this is one of the worst #1 overall draft picks since Kwame Brown.

5. True if Bynum is healthy, False if he isn't.

6. False, Zeller and Clark are scrubs, Bennett is unproven and Thompson is only decent. Nets/ Knicks/ Bulls all have deeper front courts.

7. False I think he's a poor fit next to Irving and should be the 6th man or traded for a quality SF, plus if Bynums healthy then Kyrie will be the second option.

False, I as they are now, they can be a very good squad in the future that will make the playoffs for many years to come. Championship contender? Probably not with what they have now.

True, if he can't stay healthy and they can get back a good return, why not?

False.

False, I don't think he will lever live up to the number 1 pick, but I don't think anyone else they could of took could live up to that in the draft class. The Cavs were in a tough spot and they still managed to get a good player.

True, I see them making a low playoff seed.

It could be debated. I'd say a team like the Pacers are better though.

False, would be better as a 6th man, but he is a good player.

Way FALSE. Irving is overrated, Bennett was a bad pick, Bynum was a bad signing. Verajao will be too old, once every one else is ready, etc...

Maybe, but I wouldn't do it yet, he is still their best player.

False. I think they just realized it was a mistake let him go.

True, all you have to do is listen to reaction of the announcers when they made the pick.

Maybe, but I think they will probably come up short or make the 8th seed at best.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc

Way FALSE. Irving is overrated, Bennett was a bad pick, Bynum was a bad signing. Verajao will be too old, once every one else is ready, etc...

IT REALLY DEPENDS ON INJURIES AND IF LEBRON COMES. CAN KYRIE REACH A LEVEL OF AI? I THINK ITS POSSIBLE BUT T IS GOING TO TAKE MORE THAN THAT.

IT REALLY DEPENDS WHAT WE WOULD BE GETTING. ANDY IS VERY MUCH LOVED BY THE CITY AND THE ORGANIZATION. NOT TO MENTION, WHEN HEALTHY, HE IS A TOP 5 CENTER IN THE LEAGUE WITHOUT QUESTION. IT WOULD TAKE A LOT TO PART WITH HIM.

I REALLY DON'T THINK SO.

NO WAY OF TELLING YET.

I THINK THEY HAVE A VERY GOOD SHOT OF DOING IT UNLESS INJURIES GET IN THE WAY.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

I THINK SO.

I CERTAINLY HOPE SO. HE HAS BEEN COMPARED TO D. WADE. I HEAR HE IS A GYM RAT NOW. TIME WILL TELL.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc

honestly one of the worst posts i've read on this site if serious.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

--False-ish. With a somewhat healthy Bynum, I think they can grow into a contender, assuming Bennett isn't a complete bust. If Bynum is, well... Andrew Bynum, then they are still a bit behind other young contenders like OKC.

--True. I think Andy is one of, if not the most, underrated player in the NBA. However, if Bynum isn't healthy, it's going to take the Cavs a good 3-4 years to start competing (if they ever do), and by then Varejao will pushing 34. Can't forget that he relies heavily on his athleticism and energy, and he hasn't exactly had the best injury past. I thought he should have been dealt before the deadline last year.

--Predominantly? I don't think so. Mike Brown is a good coach and I think the Cavs FO felt he could do good for this young Cavs core. Was it considered in his hiring? Bet your ass it was.

--True. It's not that I don't think Bennett will become a solid, even good, NBA player. It's that I think Noel will eventually gain Noah-like value and you absolutely do not pass it up in this era of big men. At the very least, Noel as he is now got the Pelican's, Jrue Holiday. So, yeah... You're taking a risk on Andrew Bynum or building with an aging Varejao. Noel could have been the missing piece, granted the Cavs would still need a second option on offense. I firmly believe the Cavs (and particularly the Bobcats) will look back at this draft in 5 years and wonder why the **** did they do what they did.

--True. It's more to do with the lack of competition in the East than the Cavs. They have enough talent, even without Bynum to grab a late seed. That's how bad the Eastern Conference is right now.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

--False. I still like the Grizzlies because I feel they have 3 legitimate starters, including two all-stars. Plus, Koufos isn't a bad player by any means. I don't trust Bynum, you have no idea what you will get with Bennett right now, and I really don't know what to expect from Clark, considering he's been bad on every team not named the Lakers. Davis > Zeller. Gasol and Z-Bo > Andy V and Thompson.

False. He has the mindset and game of a sixth man. I don't know how anyone can see otherwise. A very good sixth man, but nevertheless a sixth man. I think it's clear as day, to be honest.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 08-18-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

True. Kyrie is a future Top 10 player, imo. If Bynum stays healthy and motivated, we all know what he can do. Tristan Thompson appears to be developing nicely. If Tristan or Bennett can develop into any kind of solid 18/8 type, Cavs will have their Big 3 good enough to contend for titles.

False! Very False. They have enough young talent and Varejao is an important piece of this team for his hustle, leadership, inside presence, compliments big rotation very well, etc.

False. I think he was re-hired b/c owner Dan Gilbert had success w/ him before.

False. For now. Obviously this can't be really answered until 4, 7, 10 years from now. Yeah even now the pick seemed like a big reach and also unnecessary as the Cavs probably could've traded down and still got Bennett. But GM Grant has done a respectable job drafting based on highest ceiling alone. Bennett, or Ben McLemore, fit that bill the most for the Cavs.

True. They've improved way too much to miss the playoffs in the East. Of course, this is assuming Bynum is healthy and motivated. But even if he isn't, Cavs can probably sneak in at #8 seed.

And why the hell does Cleveland get bonus Q's? I'm not answering them out of protest!

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

True. Kyrie is close to superstar status. TT and Dion Waiters are both undeniably legit starters. Anthony Bennett should turn out to be a decent starting 4, maybe even better.

False. They will never get good value for him. Only teams that would like to have them would be contending teams, and they do not usually have lottery picks that they wanna throw around. He has a few good seasons left in him, he hasn't started to decline yet. He isn't injury prone in the sense that he doesn't suffer from chronic knee issues like Bynum. He is worth more to the cavs as a veteran leader/player.

Absolutely False. Mike Brown was fired to appease Lebron, and Danny Ferry quit over the firing. Gilbert admited he made a mistake when he fired Mike Brown. Mike Brown was hired and hired quickly because the cavs want to build a defense oriented team, and they knew he would go fast in this seasons head coach market.

Unanswerable really, but there was no definite clear cut #1 in the draft.

True. Even without Bynum they should get there. Anything he produces is gravy.
    + 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

False.

Absolutely true.

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: [COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Dallas Mavericks[/COLOR]. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Mavericks? Send me a PM with ideas.

my answers in italics.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak
    the Cavs probably could've traded down and still got Bennett.
    I just wanted to address this because I believed the same thing for awhile and it seems to be a misnomer. As information has leaked out since the draft, it appears Bennett was much higher on GM draft boards than he was on mock boards.

It has long been rumored that Charlotte was one of the teams who approached the Cavs with a trade offer that included their No. 4 pick for No. 1. Their target? Anthony Bennett.

Now, there have been rumors swirling that other teams who had high picks were extremely hopeful that the Cavs would pass on Bennett so he'd be there for them. News recently broke that the Sixers had a deal in place with the Pelicans for Jrue Holiday prior to the draft, but it was dependent upon one of Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo or Nerlens Noel still being on the board.

So, that was the top three guys on their big board.

This is not the first time the so called "experts" were way off on a guy prior to a draft. I was as surprised with the pick as anybody, but Grant's past success in the draft along with these latest reports of other GMs going hard after Bennett makes me feel much more comfortable with the pick.

yeah i think so. kyrie could definitely be a first option on a contender. hes not perfect. he needs to improve as a passer and defensively, but hes clearly one of the most valuable assets in the league right now.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Varejao for younger talents/draft picks.

like some other posters have mentioned, it depends what can we get back for him. he is likely to be too old, by the time the younger players mature, and we become a contender. if bennett doesnt develop into a SF, maybe we could move andy for a SF? his stock is pretty low at the moment though, so i wouldnt trade him this year.

didnt gilbert fire brown to appease lebron? i dont see how this helps us recruit lebron

its bery possible, since there was no consensus first pick. there were about 6 guys who could have all gone first, who were all neck and neck, so id say in all likelihood, bennett wont be the best player from this draft. but im not too worried.

TRUE!

Great question! the bulls, pistons, and spurs are probably more proven, but presuming thompson improves a little, and bennett adjusts well to the nba, then yes i think so.

i think he could. im not that confident. hes definitely talented though

True, I think. We need to see how the guys develop but they're on their way.

True. They're a couple of years away, and Andy's value is at a high. Trade him midseason to the suitor offering the most.

True. A lot of people don't buy the conspiracy theory, but I think LeBron is going back to Cleveland either after this season or next (probably the latter, given what Stephen A. said about LeBron wanting to play with Wade for 2 more years until he retires).

True-ish. I would've gone with Noel, but if they planned to get Bynum it was fine. Could've traded down and gotten assets though. If Drew is healthy though they'll be fine.

True. I think Bynum and Kyrie will be healthy enough.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

True, but I think some guys might be moved.

False-ish. He has the talent, but if Bynum and Kyrie are healthy there won't be enough touches to go around.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

From a pure talent standpoint, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league. I believe that.

Andrew Bynum has an argument as best center in the NBA when he's healthy. I think it was a strong argument in the last season he played (2011-12). Can he get back there? Only time will tell, but there's no question the talent/skill is there for him to be a dominant force offensively and a very good defensive big.

Anderson Varejao
    has been playing at an All-Star level the last two seasons prior to his injuries. Last year, the guy was averaging 14/14+ and seemed to be getting stronger just before he went down. He was averaging more offensive rebounds per game than anyone has in over 15 years. The last guy to average more was a prime Dennis Rodman.

How many teams have two potential All-Star centers on their roster? Injuries are a question for both, but assuming good health, this is the best 1-2 center punch in the league and the great thing is their skillsets should compliment each other quite well if/when Brown wants to pair them up on the floor.

Tristan Thompson was one of the most improved players in the league last year. He very quietly basically averaged a double-double and played in all 82 games. In the 50 games he played without Anderson Varejao (thus giving him more minutes/responsibility), his play improved dramatically. He averaged 13+/10 in those 50 games. Very young guys can go one of two ways when having more responsibility dumped on them... respond or shrink. Thompson's response is a great sign for the future of this franchise. And, he's still only 22. He can also play either PF or center.

Tyler Zeller had a rough rookie season, but it wasn't until Varejao went down that his weaknesses began to get really exposed. Prior to that, he had been a nice rotational big off of the bench. Like I said about Thompson, when a young player is given the opportunity for more minutes/responsibility, he can respond or shrink. Zeller shrank, but I'm cutting him a lot of slack. He was forced into a situation as a rookie where he was playing 30+ minutes a night and anyone could see he just wasn't ready for that. On the bright side, I thought he looked much improved during Summer League and the Blue/White Olympic scrimmage. I'm still confident he's going to be a good player in this league that will have a long career. Not an All-Star, but a solid big man ideally off the bench on a good team.

Anthony Bennett was as surprising a pick for me as it was for everyone else... maybe even moreso, because I watched Tristan Thompson grow into a potential rock solid option as the PF going forward last season. That's really the main reason I never considered Bennett, but it has become clear that the NBA is going away from conventional 1-5 spots and more toward complimentary skillsets regardless of size/position. In that respect, Bennett fits in quite well. He has a very nice perimeter game and was arguably the best pure scorer in the draft. The Cavs needed a scorer in the frontcourt who can stretch the floor and get out and run. We'll see how AB turns out, but the pick was a very interesting and intriguing one. Obviously, Chris Grant and Mike Brown believed he was the best player in the draft. That tells me really all I need to know. He also looks like another versatile player who can play either the 3 or the 4.

Earl Clark was maybe the lone bright spot in a dismal season for the Lakers last year. I don't expect him to be a star, but on this team with this kind of depth? Yeah, I think he can provide production at both the 3 and 4 spots. He seems like a very nice utility tool. His shooting has improved over his career, he's athletic around the basket and he defends/rebounds well.

I'm sorry, that's a damn nice frontcourt *if* healthy. Basically all of the Cavs' scoring production last season had to come from the backcourt with Kyrie/Dion. That is no longer the case and making Jarrett Jack arguably the best backup guard in the league? I'd say this has been a successful offseason and I think this is a playoff team regardless of Bynum's status. Even just Varejao/Thompson/Bennett/Zeller/Clark is a good frontcourt rotation. Bynum would make it the best rotation in the league.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-18-2013 at 07:53 PM.