Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Detroit Pistons Edition

No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413
Cleveland Cavaliers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310627
Dallas Mavericks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310731
Denver Nuggets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310870

Today's team?

THE DETROIT PISTONS

PG - Jennings/Bynum/Siva
SG - Billups/Stuckey/Caldwell-Pope
SF - J.Smith/Singler/Datome
PF - Monroe/Villanueva/Jerebko/Mitchell
C - Drummond/Harrellson

Head Coach - Maurice Cheecks
General Manager - Joe Dumars

1. Is Brandon Jennings underrated or is Brandon Jennings overrated?

2. PROBABILITY FROM 1 to 10 (with 10 being Most Likely): In the year 2018, Andre Drummond will be the best Center in the NBA.

3. AGREE or DISAGREE: After thirteen up-and-down years, Joe Dumars should be fired as GM.

4. So wait...Josh Smith is playing the 3? Isn't he better at the 4? And Billups is now a 2? Or will he back up Jennings? And what about Stuckey? Is he starting? Is Bynum marginalized now? Will Villanueva even play or released? Will Smith and Monroe playing together? Aren't Singler and Jerebko gonna get minutes? And how in the blue hell is KCP gonna get in there? And Datome needs minute too right?.........
Sort this roster out for us.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Detroit Pistons will make the playoffs this season.

BONUS QUESTION: Better chance of a comeback....Jorts the player or Jorts the shorts.

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: Golden State Warriors. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Warriors? Send me a PM with ideas.

Last edited by bagelred : 08-23-2013 at 06:39 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Detroit Pistons Edition

Overrated. I don't like chucker point guards.

2. PROBABILITY FROM 1 to 10 (with 10 being Most Likely): The Best Center in the year 2018 will be Andre Drummond.

3. AGREE or DISAGREE: After thirteen up-and-down years, Joe Dumars should be fired as GM.
Agree. I liked him as a GM, but those signings of J-Smoove and Jennings

4. So wait...Josh Smith is playing the 3? Isn't he better at the 4? And Billups is now a 2? Or will he back up Jennings? And what about Stuckey? Is he starting? Is Bynum marginalized now? Will Villanueva even play or released? Will Smith and Monroe playing together? Aren't Singler and Jerebko gonna get minutes? And how in the blue hell is KCP gonna get in there? And Datome needs minute too right?.........

Monroe / Drummond
Smith / Villanueva / Jerebko
Singler
Caldwell-Pope / Stuckey
Jennings / Billups / Bynum

Ughh their roster is an absolute mess

5. The Detroit Pistons will make the playoffs this season.
True. First round exit.

BONUS QUESTION: Better chance of a comeback....Jorts the player or Jorts the shorts.

Jorts the shorts will never be back thankfully. Jorts the player >>
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Dr. Cheesesteak
Local High School Star

Dr. Cheesesteak has decent reputation

Overrated. At least in terms of skill. He's one of the best pure scorers in the league, especially given his size. His mental make-up may be lacking, but he has top-level ability on offense.

2. PROBABILITY FROM 1 to 10 (with 10 being Most Likely): In the year 2018, Andre Drummond will be the best Center in the NBA.
9. Which I think is where I had him in the Top 10 best NBA players in 4 years. It should be between he and Cousins, if Cousins can mature mentally/emotionally.

Disagree. He isn't GREAT at his job, but he's serviceable and has made some really good moves on that roster. Rebuilding is rarely fast or easy.

If I were in charge of the rotation, I'd have it like this:
Drummond, Monroe, Singler, KCP, Jennings starting. The top bench players would be JSmooth (rotate w/ Monroe and Drummond), Datome and Jerebko as cornermen (whoever I feel like playing), and Billups being the #1 G to rotate, followed by Stuckey. The team DOES have a lot of mid-lvl talent depth, that's for sure. Villanueva, Mitchell, and Bynum get scrub or situational minutes. Mitchell probably 1st choice in this group, since he needs to develop. But I want KCP to start to develop ASAP and JSmooth can be an elite energy guy off the bench and play crunch time minutes if need be.

5. The Detroit Pistons will make the playoffs this season.
I assume this is "True or False". I'll go w/ true. I think they have the talent and Cheeks is a decent coach.
Dr. Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA rookie of the year

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here

--The ISH consensus seems to think he's a talented, chucking, starting level PG. I also believe that's what he is. He won't win you a championship, but he's not a weak link either.

--False. Has anyone actually sat down and seen his offensive game? Yeah, he wishes he had Kwame's post moves. Players can improve and, honestly, he might have the best potential (based on physical tools) in the entire NBA. But that's a long way he has to go... How many players make that kind of improvement during their NBA careers? Valanciunas or Cousins will be the best center in 2018.

--True. Should have happened long ago.

--Too much work. I'll just it would be in their best interest to develop KCP and Drummond, even if it costs them a playoffs spot this year. Tho, it shouldn't.

--True. East sucks and they have too much talent not to.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Wavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this board

He get's a lot of hate, and I like him, so I'll say underrated. He could turn into a better player with the talent level that Detroit has, less of a need for him to score the ball now.

8, he has the potential to be.

Not just yet, he has built a decent team with this squad. I'd say give him an opportunity to win with this team and then it would be time to move on.

All those questions mean 2 things.
1. The team lineup is extremely versatile.
and
2. The team is stacked to a certain degree.

We'll have to wait and see how the lineups play out, but it should be interesting.

True, there is enough talent to make a lower seed in the East and possibly win a game or 2.

Last edited by insidehoops : 08-31-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Wavves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Well I thought he was overrated, then the Pistons traded for him and now it seems like everybody and their brother hates him so I'm starting to lean towards underrated or *SHOCKER* appropriately rated.

Drummond is my favorite player, and he certainly has the potential, but Pistons never get lucky on these things, so I'll go with 6.

**** no Joe D for life.

Jennings, Smith, Monroe and Drummond are guaranteed to start.

Who starts at the 2 is the only question. I'm rooting for KCP since he is the only real 2 guard on the team.

Bynum will earn his minutes, he is a game changer and will find his way onto the floor no matter what.

Villanueva will play because the team needs a stretch four and he is the only one on the roster.

Jerebko, Jorts, and Datome probably are odd men out.

True, I have no doubt on this one.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputation

I don't think he has been overrated or underrated. He is what he is, a highly skilled, shoot first pg who guns. With decent bigs around him, we can finally see where his IQ really is.

9. Kid is RAW and nearly averaged a double double with a steal and a block and a half in roughly 20 mins of play last year! And the last part of the season, he was doing some WORK. Now he is working with Rasheed Wallace. He has time to develop because of the other skilled bigs in Detroit. I bet ya Wallace would Guaransheed it.

Sadly, yes. He should have been let go after the Gordon, Charlie V. fiasco, but what's done is done. And now he has put some stellar pieces together. So I guess we have to let this one play out while he scavenged to save his job.

The Pistons will be using a bunch of looks at the beginning of this season and maybe into the later part of the season. They have a roster that is everywhere, yet has the ability to match up to multiple teams do to it's confused/versality. We might see multiple multiple starting lineups throughout the year.

I also think these moves give Joe D the ability to make a trade if need be. This roster isn't close to final.

No doubt, no doubt. Question is how far can we go in 3 years from now when everyone has time to gel.

Jorts the shorts. Jorts the player is buried behind too many bigs. But the fans will get behind him like they did with Darko or The White Mamba.
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

id say a litttle underrated. hes only 23 so he will get a lot better. hes become a soldi 3pt shooter, and hes a good passer, he just shoots too much. hopefully he'll mature in detroit, and focus more on defense and passing.

3. he has a great shot, i dont know who has a better shot, but there are a bunch of young centers with potential similar to that of drummond. LAARRY SANDERS!, cousins, vucevic, kanter, jonas, maybe even that jahlil okafor kid. drummond has a bright future for sure though.

disagree. the gordon-villanueva summer was awful. but other than that, what has he done badley. he has drafted really well the last couples years. if you re-did the 2010 and 2012 drafts, im sure both drummond and monroe would go much higher.

he seemed reluctant to go into a full scale rebuild, which would have been an option this year, but we dont know whether that was his decision or ownerships. either way he has detroit in a nice spot now.

id play smith primarily at the 4, and have a 3 big rotation of monroe/smith/drummond. there is 96 mins between the 3 of them. drummond could get about 30 (his conditioning was an issue last year, he might not be capable of much more minutes than that) smith could get 40, (including a few minutes at the 3) and monroe would get high 30s.

jennings/bynum/billups
stuckey/kcp
singler/jerebko
smith/villanueva
monroe/drummond

id say no, but they will be very close.

the player. the shorts are dead in the water, at least the player can space the floor a little bit.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
I<3NBA
College superstar

I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

well, he was really overrated when he scored that crazy high scoring game. and then the next season he started to really suck and ppl started hating him. so i guess he's just rated correctly now.

8. Davis would be better than him.

Agree. While he's not that bad, his last years have also been not that good. I am with the go young movement of today's league. the trend is going with younger GMs. not only younger, but those who lean towards analytics as a tool to use in decision making. so i say he should be fired and the Pistons starts going modern.

not bothering. that roster is a mess. good luck with the coach. who also sucks.

true only by virtue of the other teams being worse than them. the top 5 spots are locked. then Cavs and Washington are better than them. the eight spot will go to them by default seeing as the other 6 teams are much more of a mess than them. i would even give Boston a chance if it wasn't already known they are tanking hard to get Wiggins.

idk either so meh.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

THE DETROIT PISTONS

PG - Jennings/Bynum/Siva
SG - Billups/Stuckey/Caldwell-Pope
SF - J.Smith/Singler/Datome
PF - Monroe/Villanueva/Jerebko/Mitchell
C - Drummond/Harrellson

Head Coach - Maurice Cheecks
General Manager - Joe Dumars

This is a difficult one. One the one hand, he has the rep (somewhat deserved) of a chucker. On the other, he averaged almost 7 assists per game and shot better from beyond the arc than any guard the pistons had last year. He clearly takes a couple shots a game that he shouldnt, but he sees the floor better and sets his teammates up better than average. He will be a solid player for detroit and definitely not a liability. He is rated.

7. The poster saying he wishes he had kwame's offensive skillset doesnt know what he is talking about. He has great hands and a very nice finishing touch (kwame would fumble the ball on an entry pass with his tiny hands). Is he raw? Yes, clearly. Was he incredibly offensively effective last year despite that? yes, clearly. People can clamor for cousins, but that dude is a joke for half of the game you play and a pouter when things dont go his way. That wont change. A Davis has a strong chance to be better, but he may be playing the 4 more. Will Hibbert or Noah or Marc Gasol still be relevant as top centers in 5 years? Probably not. Drummond seems to have the positive attitude and work ethic to go with his incredible (unmatched?) physical skill set in the nba.

He should have been fired several years ago. Now, whats the point. Lets see how this incarnation of the team does.

Jsmoove is an athlete who will be effective regardless of where he is played. He will play more minutes at the 4 than the 3, even if he starts at the 3.

Drummond (28)/Monroe (20)/Jorts
Monroe (15)/Smoove (20)/JJ or CV (13)/Tony
Smoove (15)/Singler (20)/Datome (8)/JJ (3)
kCP (23)/Stuckey (15)/billups (11)
Jennings (32)/Billups (10)/Bynum (6)/Siva

I think both stuckey and CV will be moved before the deadline, probably with at least one more player going with them. The players with no minutes designation will be inactive alot and will only play spot mins.

**** yeah its true! Who knows. I sure hope so. I look at about 5 teams for those last 3 spots (atl, bucks, pistons, cavs, wiz). Which one is struck by injury? Which one gets off to a bad start and gets blown up?

Jorts the nickname. Unless little jean shorts on hot chicks are also called jorts. Then jorts the booty shorts.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc

Well I thought he was overrated, then the Pistons traded for him and now it seems like everybody and their brother hates him so I'm starting to lean towards underrated or *SHOCKER* appropriately rated.

Drummond is my favorite player, and he certainly has the potential, but Pistons never get lucky on these things, so I'll go with 6.

**** no Joe D for life.

Jennings, Smith, Monroe and Drummond are guaranteed to start.

Who starts at the 2 is the only question. I'm rooting for KCP since he is the only real 2 guard on the team.

Bynum will earn his minutes, he is a game changer and will find his way onto the floor no matter what.

Villanueva will play because the team needs a stretch four and he is the only one on the roster.

Jerebko, Jorts, and Datome probably are odd men out.

True, I have no doubt on this one.
meh, jj is a career 31% 3pter, CV is about 34%. Sure, its a difference, but considering how much better JJ is at everything else on the floor, I hope he takes most of those minutes. It is true that JJ hesitates on the 3, while CV lets her rip.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
kshutts1
Decent college freshman

kshutts1 is considered somewhat coolkshutts1 is considered somewhat cool

A -- What is his rating? I think he's properly rated. He gets "hated on" for his relative inefficiency, but those same people typically mention his potential, as well. He could be very good, but thus far he has only been good enough to get another shot to be very good.

A -- 7. Would be higher if I followed college/HS hoops more. Of the players currently in the NBA, I say it's an 8.5-9.

A -- After Gordon and Charlie V he should have been. After a similarly questionable signing in Josh Smith, I wonder what they're waiting for. However, if he pulls off a solid trade involving one of the three bigs, to get a building block at the SG, then I'd re-evaluate.

A --
Jennings/Billups/Stuckey
Stuckey/Billups/KCP
Smith/Singler/Jerebko
Monroe/Smith/Jerebko/Harrelson
Drummond/Monroe/Harrelson

Charlie V should never see the court. He is too old and too bad to be a part of a rebuilding team.

A -- False. In no order... Miami, Chicago, Brooklyn, NY, Indiana, Washington, Cleveland, Atlanta all make it. Milwaukee, Detroit, Orlando, Charlotte are the next four, in order.

A -- What are Jorts the Shorts? Harrelson is legit; he has skill. He should make it.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
ZMonkey11
YMCA Scrub

ZMonkey11 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chips93
[b]

disagree. the gordon-villanueva summer was awful. but other than that, what has he done badley. he has drafted really well the last couples years. if you re-did the 2010 and 2012 drafts, im sure both drummond and monroe would go much higher.

Traded Billups for AI. Kept Stuckey for way too long. Let Afflalo go. Besides Drummond and Monroe, almost every other draft pick has turned into nothing.

We've been turned into a laughing stock the last 4 years. The arena is empty. Are you watching Pistons basketball?!?!?
ZMonkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
kshutts1
Decent college freshman

kshutts1 is considered somewhat coolkshutts1 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
Traded Billups for AI. Kept Stuckey for way too long. Let Afflalo go. Besides Drummond and Monroe, almost every other draft pick has turned into nothing.

We've been turned into a laughing stock the last 4 years. The arena is empty. Are you watching Pistons basketball?!?!?
Afflalo was on the Pistons?
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1
Afflalo was on the Pistons?
What? Really?
He was drafted by them the same year as stuckey I believe. Joe D traded him the summer of terrible decisions in order to have more capspace to sign a big, which ended up being Chris Wilcox as I recall.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: