Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
bagelred
Weird

Default ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Houston Rockets Edition

No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413
Cleveland Cavaliers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310627
Dallas Mavericks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310731
Denver Nuggets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310870
Detroit Pistons: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311175
Golden State Warriors: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311293

Today's team?

THE HOUSTON ROCKETS

PG - Lin/Beverly/Brooks/Canaan
SG - Harden/Garcia/Williams/Young
SF - Parsons/Casspi/Covington
PF - Asik/Motiejunas/Jones
C - Howard/Camby/Smith

Head Coach - Kevin McHale
General Manager - Daryl Morey

1. What motivated Dwight Howard's move to Houston more...Championships or Happiness?

2. TRUE or FALSE: Chandler Parsons is a legitimate 3rd option on a Championship team.

3. Apologize to Daryl Morey for everything you said about him in the past. Go ahead. Apologize. Make it good.

4. The best point guard on the Rockets is.....

5. The Houston Rockets are not winning a championship until they _______ ?

A DWIGHT HOWARD FOLLOW-UP QUESTION!

SUPERMAN II?: Will Dwight Howard finally improve his offense by working with Hakeem and Mchale?

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: Indiana Pacers. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Pacers? Send me a PM with ideas.

Last edited by bagelred : 08-28-2013 at 04:47 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Houston Rockets Edition

THE HOUSTON ROCKETS

C - Howard/Camby/Smith

1. What motivated Dwight Howard's move to Houston more...Championships or Happiness?

Both. Lakers are pretty far from contending and dont have that many realistic rebuilding options. He obviously didnt like that they were keeping kobe as the franchise star into his twilight and he hated the coach. He and kobe would never mesh personality or playing style that well. He has a better chance to win in houston (though I dont think they will) and he plays with his peers and friends.

2. TRUE or FALSE: Chandler Parsons is a legitimate 3rd option on a Championship team.

Meh, I think this whole ranking of options is pretty silly. Hes a solid nba starter on an incredibly cheap contract. He complements harden and dwights game well. Is that enough? It is for me.

3. Apologize to Daryl Morey for everything you said about him in the past. Go ahead. Apologize. Make it good.

I have always been fairly evenhanded about him. I lived near houston for most of the last decade and thought he did a smart job overall. It all broke right for him.

Harden. I am unwilling to explode over the patrick beverly hype, particularly since lin was playing injured at that time.

Get rid of dwight. hes a cancer. Ha! Get a reliable stretch pf with good D and better spot shooting at the pg spot.

SUPERMAN II?: Will Dwight Howard finally improve his offense by working with Hakeem and Mchale?

I remain unconvinced. He worked with Hakeem before and the dream was less than complimentary about him actually implementing it. This isnt some 19 or 20 year old who hasnt been exposed to good coaching. THis is a 8 year vet who has had every opportunity in the world to improve on his offensive skill set, yet hasnt. He doesnt have the fluidity of either of them or the natural instincts. I imagine it will be slightly better, but I still think most of his points come through power not grace.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413
Cleveland Cavaliers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310627
Dallas Mavericks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310731
Denver Nuggets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310870
Detroit Pistons: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311175
Golden State Warriors: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311293

Today's team?

THE HOUSTON ROCKETS

C - Howard/Camby/Smith

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: Indiana Pacers. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Pacers? Send me a PM with ideas.

1) Happiness. He's a tool. Winning is secondary if that.
2) False
3) He got saved from a terrible trade he made for Gasol by Stern that would have prevented the Dwight or Harden move, he gave Lin a huge contract that is preventing him from making future moves, and he got Dwight because he's a huge ***** who screwed up his landing place, Brooklyn.

Hes had some luck so no apology here.
4) Hopefully currently on another roster.
5) Improve the 4 and 1 positions.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
JimmyMcAdocious
Very good NBA starter

--Happiness. I realize what the Lakers were last season, but you still can't convince me (for the short term) that what he has in Houston is better than Nash, Pau, and Kobe. Plus with all the stories about not wanting to play with Kobe or under D'Antoni...

--True. He's borderline, but when your first two options are the best center and second best SG in the league, he's fine as a #3. IMO a legit 3rd option is a consistent scorer, maybe has a dominant trait, and the ability to take over the game at any time. Parsons is a little less than that. I think prime Ginobili is a perfect example of a #3 or James Worthy.

--**** you and **** Morey.

--To be honest, probably James Harden.

--Have their players improve (mentally and game wise) and find a solution for the PG position because Lin isn't it. Maybe they can steal Chalmers when his contract is up or something, he would be a great fit.

Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious : 08-28-2013 at 05:17 PM.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

If Dwight hasn't learned by now, he never will. They will have a marginal effect on his game.

Houston made a big gamble.
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
pnyozzzoo
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horde of Temujin
If Dwight hasn't learned by now, he never will. They will have a marginal effect on his game.

Houston made a big gamble.

How is Dwight a big gamble? he is a proven superstar and best center in the league, if money is not a issue almost every team will start him.
His post moves and shooting touch is stiff and robotic but he among today's center still one of the best inside scorer, it is what it is i mean dream and shaq aren't playing now. And we don't need to talk about defense.

Rofl at the responses of jealousy hate resentment. I guess Houston is this year's villain team to Hate on by everyone.

Haters from LA land, Orlando, Brooklyn, even dallas fans and others who disdain Dwightmare. A whole lot. Haters who hate dwight in general coz his ugly game and he is the best only because the center position is shit now.

Haters who hate Harden's game and how he left OKC. His game is monotone and boring no creativity at all. drunken drive and jack up 3s with everything he does he try to ref bait. He is ?? best shooting guard only because today's shooting guard position is shit.

The usual Lin haters. (lots NYK and heat fans) no need to elaborate on this, everyone knows what ppl hate on and jealous on his "undeserving popularity".

The new Parson Hating group is forming due to his rapid rise to "overrated rising star status". People hate others try shaft soon to be stars in their throat.

The Beverly scrub callers due to he injured their beloved Goatbrook and ruined OKC's final chance.

And the mass DMorey haters, who claim Morey get the results only because he is lucky, he is a mediocre GM at best. I mean you are given a medium size market team which is an unpopular FA destiny with no stars to begin with and no tanking in mind you have to be aggressive and taking chances, gambling is inevitable. The sports world is result oriented, What-ifs can be considered for everyone and you can pull anyone down with what ifs.

Houston has build a team from gathering parts from other team and making trades left other party with a sour taste in the mouth and beating other teams in FA market, of course its gonna gather lots hate, bitterness and jealousy.

Last edited by pnyozzzoo : 08-28-2013 at 07:31 PM.
pnyozzzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Both. He didn't want the bright lights or a guy yelling in his ear telling him he was wrong all the time, so he joined a team where's he's one of the oldest players and top dog here.

No.

Don't need to.

Jeremy Lin. Patrick Beverly is an Energiser rabbit on defense, but on offense the best thing he can do is get out of James Harden's way. At least Jeremy can still vaguely create for himself and other players around him.

can convert one of the PFs (T-jones, Donatus) into a properly good three point shooter to pair with Dwight. Also, if they can somehow pull off the Asik-Howard combo then that would be deadly.

I want to say that Dwight's attitude might have changed, but I highly doubt it.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

Both I would say probably happiness first

2. TRUE or FALSE: Chandler Parsons is a legitimate 3rd option on a Championship team. True he's a two way player who is capable of taking over a game and should get better this season

No need to

James Harden is, late in games you might probably see him at the point, Garcia @ the 2 and Parsons @ the 3

5. The Houston Rockets are not winning a championship until they _______ ? Package some of there "talented" PF's for a quality piece and Harden/Parsons improve even more.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #9
Dr. Cheesesteak
Local High School Star

Championships. I honestly believe Dwight has a sincere desire to win a title. I remember when his Magic lost his Lakers, he wanted Jameer to join him to watch LAL celebrate winning, as way to motivate him and Jameer to try harder the next year. Sure, that's in the past and in recent years Dwight hasn't shown the same type of dedication. But I think it's still in there somewhere.

True. He can pretty much do everything on O - shoot, drive, dribble, pass, maybe even post? Is he great at anything? No, not yet at least. But he can do a lot.

Nothing to apologize about!

Jeremy Lin. Beverly is good. Brooks can be good. But Lin can run the pick and roll, drive and dish, and besides some turnover issues, is just better overall, imo. Though Beverly is close.

Gel together and mature I guess? The roster is worthy of winning a title and McHale can coach. Only thing is, they need to learn to play together w/ Dwight and all their roster is still pretty young, though it's got some good vets now.
Dr. Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyozzzoo

How is Dwight a big gamble? he is a proven superstar and best center in the league, if money is not a issue almost every team will start him.
His post moves and shooting touch is stiff and robotic but he among today's center still one of the best inside scorer, it is what it is i mean dream and shaq aren't playing now. And we don't need to talk about defense.

Rofl at the responses of jealousy hate resentment. I guess Houston is this year's villain team to Hate on by everyone.

Haters from LA land, Orlando, Brooklyn, even dallas fans and others who disdain Dwightmare. A whole lot. Haters who hate dwight in general coz his ugly game and he is the best only because the center position is shit now.

Haters who hate Harden's game and how he left OKC. His game is monotone and boring no creativity at all. drunken drive and jack up 3s with everything he does he try to ref bait. He is ?? best shooting guard only because today's shooting guard position is shit.

The usual Lin haters. (lots NYK and heat fans) no need to elaborate on this, everyone knows what ppl hate on and jealous on his "undeserving popularity".

The new Parson Hating group is forming due to his rapid rise to "overrated rising star status". People hate others try shaft soon to be stars in their throat.

The Beverly scrub callers due to he injured their beloved Goatbrook and ruined OKC's final chance.

And the mass DMorey haters, who claim Morey get the results only because he is lucky, he is a mediocre GM at best. I mean you are given a medium size market team which is an unpopular FA destiny with no stars to begin with and no tanking in mind you have to be aggressive and taking chances, gambling is inevitable. The sports world is result oriented, What-ifs can be considered for everyone and you can pull anyone down with what ifs.

Houston has build a team from gathering parts from other team and making trades left other party with a sour taste in the mouth and beating other teams in FA market, of course its gonna gather lots hate, bitterness and jealousy.

Just because i dont think Dwight is as good as advertised does not make me a salty hater. I could just as easily throw that lame argument at you for your insult of Westbrook. He is not the best center in the league, the Gasol bro's, Brook Lopez, Duncan, Noah, Horford (if he continues to play at C) and a healthy Bogut are better than him. It is a gamble, Dwight is on the decline and theyre paying him 22+ mil a year. It remains to be seen whether or not he will recover from his injury. That money couldve been better spent elsewhere. He gives you defense and rebounding, players like Hibbert, Chandler and even Asik give you that for much less.

Last edited by Horde of Temujin : 08-29-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
I<3NBA
NBA lottery pick

Happiness. Houston is one piece away from being a real contender.

False. He is only getting highlighted because the Rockets before had no real superstars aside from Harden. He's a good role player ala Mike Miller. but not a legit 3rd option like Bosh.

No. He lucked out, pure and simple. If Howard doesn't sign, all his retarded moves would have stayed retarded.

Jeremy Lin. Yeah, that's how bad their other point guards are. And no. James Harden is a shooting guard, no matter how much he handles the ball during crunch time.

get knock down shooters that can rival the Heat's shooters.

He better. If he doesn't, he will never win a championship.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #12
pnyozzzoo
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horde of Temujin
Just because i dont think Dwight is as good as advertised does not make me a salty hater. I could just as easily throw that lame argument at you for your insult of Westbrook. He is not the best center in the league, the Gasol bro's, Brook Lopez, Duncan, Noah, Horford (if he continues to play at C) and a healthy Bogut are better than him. It is a gamble, Dwight is on the decline and theyre paying him 22+ mil a year. It remains to be seen whether or not he will recover from his injury. That money couldve been better spent elsewhere. He gives you defense and rebounding, players like Hibbert, Chandler and even Asik give you that for much less.

Err, when did I insult westbrook? calling him Goatbrook? thats his nickname and beloved by his fans...????? I actually like him, rank him top 10-15 best in the league.

you can make an argument for other people to be best center, sure but overall package Dh12 is the best right now. Sure he had a downer year but i dun really want to gointo specifics for everyone's weakness and strength.

I see you refer gamble to his recovery. i thought you refer gamble to his improvement to his post game. Let's just leave it to be seen in the future.
pnyozzzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
kshutts1
Great college starter

A -- I guess happiness, because I don't see the championship aspirations unless Howard is 100% healthy this year, AND was not last year. The Houston roster is too similar to the Lakers roster, and they also play a style that doesn't benefit Howard.

A -- False, but he is only the fourth option on his current team.

A -- No need to apologize. He's my favorite GM in the league.

A -- Depends on what you want from your PG. But I would have to say Lin because he can score and create for others.

5. The Houston Rockets are not winning a championship until they _______

A -- Win 4 out of 7 games in the NBA finals

A -- At this point in his career, I would be surprised if he ever improved his offensive scoring ability. Passing, on the other hand... possibly.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
bmd
Local High School Star

You forgot Ronnie Brewer in your depth chart.
bmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
Fallen Angel
Let The Games Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred

Championships. He had various reasons for joining the Rockets but ultimately it came down to James Harden. The thought of joining a young all star shooting guard and potentially forming the next Shaq and Kobe is what influenced his decision the most. If Houston doesn't have Harden Dwight doesn't sign with Houston.

Quote:

Well it depends. If you look at Houston's roster then yes, I agree Parsons is an OK 3rd option. Houston already has Harden and Howard, they don't need a 3rd star to win a title, just the right pieces. If Parsons improves his defense, he becomes a legitimate 3rd option. As of now, I think he's just an OK 3rd go-to player.
Quote:
After 3 seasons of barely missing the playoffs as an 8th seed I got frustrated and thought Morey should have tanked all those years. So my apologies, Daryl. No, landing Harden wasn't luck. A draft pick is luck, but not free agency. Give credit where credit is due, Morey is an outstanding GM.
Quote:
The best PG for Houston is obviously Jeremy Lin. He can run an offense and can create. Beverley is an energy guy off the bench but I doubt he can run the offense like Jeremy can.

Quote:
5. The Houston Rockets are not winning a championship until they _______ ? [/b]

-They're not winning a championship until they get an elite perimeter defender so I'm hoping Parsons improves and focuses more on defense now that Howard is here.

-Harden improves his mid-range game.
-They get a better point guard. Jeremy Lin is fine but he plays better when he has the ball in his hands. With Harden and Howard on the team now his touches will decrease. If Jeremy Lin improves his spot up shooting, Houston will be fine.

Quote:

Yes of course. He showed improvement years ago when he worked with Hakeem. He'll have Hakeem and McHale working for him full time now so yes he will improve. He doesn't need to be the next Hakeem. Just get 2 go-to moves for which you can score everytime.
Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: