Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Los Angeles Lakers Edition

We continue our series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413
Cleveland Cavaliers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310627
Dallas Mavericks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310731
Denver Nuggets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310870
Detroit Pistons: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311175
Golden State Warriors: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311293
Houston Rockets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311431
Indiana Pacers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311554
Los Angeles Clippers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311738

Today's team?

THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS

PG - Nash/Blake/Farmar
SG - Bryant/Meeks
SF - Young/Johnson
PF - Gasol/Harris/Williams
C - Kaman/Hill/Sacre

Head Coach - Mike D'Antoni
General Manager - Mitch Kupchak

1. Kobe Bryant will.....sigh.....look, just say whatever you wanna say....you think it's easy to come up with questions? It isn't!!! You think it's easy both satisfying the Kobe stans and the Kobe haters at the same time with some thought-provoking, debatable, yet entertaining question?....well, it's NOT!!!.....You know what? Screw this! I'm getting some pizza.......

Discuss Kobe.

2. TRUE or FALSE: In the grand scheme of things, the Lakers are simply better off without Dwight Howard.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Mike D'Antoni is a complete fraud.

4. With the Lakers in flux, looking at this roster, what one Laker can grab this opportunity and really make a name for himself this season?

5. TRUE or FALSE: In the summer of 2014, the Lakers have a realistic shot at signing Lebron James.

BONUS GAME called:

You could win CASH AND PRIZES!! but you won't. Now, here is the Lakers schedule: http://www.nba.com/lakers/schedule

Predict the specific regular season game Kobe returns to action. The poster who gets the closest "without going over" wins: meaning if the game you predict arrives, and Kobe's still not back yet, you're OUT!!

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: Memphis Grizzlies. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Grizzlies? Send me a PM with ideas.

Last edited by insidehoops : 09-06-2013 at 04:02 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Los Angeles Lakers Edition

1. Kobe Bryant will.....sigh.....look, just say whatever you wanna say....you think it's easy to come up with questions? It isn't!!! You think it's easy both satisfying the Kobe stans and the Kobe haters at the same time with some thought-provoking, debatable, yet entertaining question?....well, it's NOT!!!.....You know what? Screw this! I'm getting some pizza.......

Discuss Kobe.

A -- Great competitor. Curious to see if he can come back and play at a high level ever again, much less this season.

2. TRUE or FALSE: In the grand scheme of things, the Lakers are simply better off without Dwight Howard.
A -- False. At this point, they would have been better off (on the court, not in terms of PR) trading Kobe and keeping Howard.

A -- False. He is what he is, and everyone knows what he is... except for whomever hired him. He is, like a lot of coaches, completely incapable of adapting his style, and that has been his downfall with this team.

4. With the Lakers in flux, looking at this roster, what one Laker can grab this opportunity and really make a name for himself this season?
A -- IF Kobe comes back at the same level, that could do wonders for his PED.. er, legacy. Pau could really go all "Pippen" on people... glorified side-kick that proves he can run the show. Other than that, I'm not sure the Lakers roster has a player that is capable of stepping his game up...

5. TRUE or FALSE: In the summer of 2014, the Lakers have a realistic shot at signing Lebron James.
A -- They're the Lakers. I wouldn't rule it out. So yes, it's realistic, but maybe not "likely".

Predict the specific regular season game Kobe returns to action. The poster who gets the closest "without going over" wins: meaning if the game you predict arrives, and Kobe's still not back yet, you're OUT!!
A -- Safe bet would be the first game after the ASG. For pure entertainment/history value, I hope it's the first game.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
EllEffEll
Local High School Star

EllEffEll is popular on this boardEllEffEll is popular on this boardEllEffEll is popular on this boardEllEffEll is popular on this boardEllEffEll is popular on this board

Discuss Kobe.

Kobe is coming off of a serious injury, he's another year older, and he's no longer 'young'. He's one of the toughest competitors in sports history, but no one has escaped the eventual ravages of father time and mother nature. If anyone has a chance to come back from a serious injury like that, it would be him because he works so hard and has incredible determination, but I don't expect we'll see him being nearly as dominant as he has been in years past.

Oh well, that's life.

Only time will tell, and the league can take so many twists and turns, we have no way of knowing what would have happened if things could have been worked out. But the DH fiasco is merely the tip of the iceberg that characterize the serious 'issues' presently inhabiting Lakerland. The Lakers could have made a couple of different moves, and I think Dwight would have given serious consideration to staying.

However, the pork sword currently in charge of personnel seems intent on taking the concept of 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' to new levels. Most everything else that is problematic could also be dealt with much easier by competent management.

A rhetorical question, right? ;~)

This comes back to roost at the feet on the man in charge (of screwing things up). Could he have bungled the coach selection any worse? (also a rhetorical question)

In spite of Kobe giving it his all, and maybe Pau trying to help out, this does not look to be a promising season. They can't always be in the hunt, although they could have been much more of a contender if only . . . .

Little to none. Of course I would love to see any legit superstar in purple and gold, but I don't see why LBJ would be enticed to join the Lakers with Meat Whistle running things into the ground. Sadly, he's much better off staying in Miami.
EllEffEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA rookie of the year

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here

Discuss Kobe.
--Foreign Affairs surveyed 250 of the top CEOs across Europe. 75 people said Kobe is the sexiest man in the NBA. 38 said Kyle Korver. 35 said JJ Redick. 23 said Jason Collins. 18 said Chandler Parsons. 15 said Mario Chalmers. And the rest of the 46 votes ranged from Michael Jordan, to Rick Fox, to Wilt Chamberlain, to Marko Jaric. Other than naming retired/NBA players, interestingly 60 of the 250 polled people were women, but only 8 of them voted for Kobe. What do you take away from that?

--True. Two folds: 1) If a player doesn't want to be there then he can really **** your franchise, long term and short term. Too many examples of that to list across the major American sports. 2) I'm not sure of the logistics so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Dwight leaving opened up the room for the Lakers to get their eventual Kobe replacement in Nick Young. I mean they now have one of the best wings in the league for the next decade again. This is D-Rob to Duncan all over again. And what happens if the Lakers end up with an Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker from the draft?

--False. He's an offensive genius and has proven it time and time again. Too bad basketball is a two-way game and, as a head coach, you need to be able to deal with your personnel. If any team (other than maybe the Spurs and a couple other teams) put D'Antoni just in charge of their offense, that team would improve.

--Nick Young. Next.

--False. I doubt like hell James stays in Miami for the rest of his career, but he's not leaving for LA when he does go. I just don't see the fit unless it's WAY in the twilight of his career.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
3peated
Good High School Starter

3peated has an OK reputation so far

Discuss Kobe.

Kobe's gonna kobe. when he's back, he'll play at a similar level as before, I don't expect a huge decline, and I don't expect a better player than before.

True. I don't think he's a superstar, not because he couldn't be, but because he doesn't have the passion for the game like most do.

True. MDA, very talented offensive coach, we all know that. I don't think the players respect him though, at least last season. Maybe this year as a full season he can do something different, highly unlikely but we'll see what happens.

I'm thinking Nick Young shines this year.

I don't. Why would he leave a great situation? He won't have to make another pay cut I'm sure, he is the franchise player (sorry wade) I don't see him leaving, even if they have a horrible season and miss the playoffs this year, he's gonna be at Miami for a while, until he's close to do with basketball and retires in Cleveland.
3peated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
kennethgriffin
NBA sixth man of the year

kennethgriffin has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partskennethgriffin has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partskennethgriffin has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partskennethgriffin has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partskennethgriffin has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

true
true
gasol
false
kennethgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

THE LOS ANGELES LAKERS

PG - Nash/Blake/Farmar
SG - Bryant/Meeks
SF - Young/Johnson
PF - Gasol/Harris/Williams
C - Kaman/Hill/Sacre

Head Coach - Mike D'Antoni
General Manager - Mitch Kupchak

Kobe is neither as good or as bad as made out here (and across the internet). He has some terrible aspects to his game (mostly his heroics and lazy D), but remains one of the best guards of the last decade+. His stans make it even harder to like him than he does. Hes not in the conversation for GOAT, but he is definitely one of the best players to ever play.

False. Outside of the pipedream of signing lebron, where do they go from here? People think they are always relevant, but there was a pretty big gap from the 88 and 00 titles. They are old and dont have that much flexibility. IS howard a giant douchey, clowny baby? Yes. But he is also a young, athletic big who has carried his roster to the finals before.

False. Hes not a complete fraud. Hes a gimmick coach with no defensive scheme and no ability to adjust to his players strengths. He is not the answer at HC for the lakers.

Huh, this is a hard one. Maybe Pau, if they go with him at the 5. Maybe nick young if he can play smart.

False.

Jan 14th at home against Cleveland
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
I<3NBA
College superstar

I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Discuss Kobe.

crippled rapist.

False. they're better off without Kobe. Dwight was the future. Kobe is the past. why value sentiments over winning?

False. say what you will of D'Antoni but he revolutionized the way the game was played in the NBA. he popularized corner threes which led to teams taking more threes as the years went by. spacing in the NBA is now very different compared to the years before the Nash led Suns.

aside from the established names such as Gasol, Nash, and Kaman, the rest of the roster is really shitty. by default, Meeks have the best shot since he obviously will be covering for Kobe while Kobe is out.

false. this franchise is doomed until the idiot at the top is removed. Lebron is happy in Miami.

BONUS GAME called:

You could win CASH AND PRIZES!! but you won't. Now, here is the Lakers schedule: http://www.nba.com/lakers/schedule

the very first game after ASG. whatever that is.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way

1. Bryant will continue to chuck shots and look older and more hobbled.
2. Just a bad mix. Howard should have been a plus, but having Bryant and D' Antoni with Howard was just a horrendous mixture. Couldn't work.
3. He's not a fraud. You get what you ask for. D'Antoni has not changed from his Phoenix or New York days.
4. Name for himself...? No one really. Young will give you a good game once in awhile and his personality should be attractive to some people, but he's not dependable. Probably Sacre.
5. False. The Clippers are a lot more attractive to free agents. The lakers of old are gone with their former owner. It's a new era there and the current owner is not the old owner. Get used to it. Lebron and any FA's that want to win will not want to be lakers..on top of that Kobe is still there.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sticky me.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
fos
It's not rebound-ball.

fos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected poster

Discuss Kobe.

I think he'll comeback and see about a 20% drop in production.

False. They're the Lakers so they'll be fine, but they'd be better off with a healthy Dwight Howard than without him.

False. Get him the right personnel and he can be effective.

Jordan Hill

False.
fos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
MVBallin2K
Good High School Starter

MVBallin2K has decent reputation

Discuss Kobe.

Unfortunately, I know that Kobe is going to come back having to find himself again and isn't going to be the same. This is going to lead to haters making all their joke and trolling about it, without really caring or having regard of the major injuries he's coming off of. It's Kobe though, maybe he'll prove everyone wrong and play out of his mind. Maybe this will make him change his style and become less ball dominant. There are a million questions here and not enough answers yet.

False. People hate on Dwight but he really could have been beneficial this season. Maybe he's not an alpha and maybe he's not quite the passionate guy to lead a team but it's a lot better than leaving the Lakers with nothing but a team full of wildcards. It also makes LA a less attractive destination next year for free agents.

True. I think this was apparent during the season when he was hired and talked about how he wanted to incorporate defense. Then reports come out that only about 30 minutes of practice time was even spent on defense. Considering what Jaimeson and Dwight have said or alluded to, he's not a good people person as a coach either. It wasn't a good hiring and Lakers are paying for it now and even more so for sticking with him.

Nick Young is the obvious answer and the needed answer. Nash and Gasol are older and it's up to Young to fill the void of scoring with Kobe out. This is his chance to shine on a much brighter stage and a bigger role than he's ever had. Hopefully if Kobe is out for a while after the season starts will give him pointers and attempt to help him out.

I really would love to say that this is likely but like another poster said earlier, I think it's realistic, just not likely. I can at least see Lebron listening to an offer from LA and various other places. With his respect for Magic Johnson, maybe there's some sway there if they get him involved in these talks but it's going to be a real slim chance. I'd love to see the internet explosion if Lebron and Kobe joined forces though briefly.
MVBallin2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
TheGreatDeraj
Near-Life Experience

TheGreatDeraj has decent reputationTheGreatDeraj has decent reputation

1) Kobe is going to come back opening night and he will lead the Lakers to the playoffs and a better record than last year with Howard.

2) Better for the fact that Dwight didn't want to be coached by D'Antoni(can't blame him ) and he didn't want to play the Bill Russell role. If he would have just set screens, defend paint, rebound, and score off putbacks, defensive mistakes and mismatches while letting Kobe, Gasol and Nash run the offense then the Lakers would be contenders. Injuries, team chemistry and cohesiveness killed the Lakers last year.

3) Mike D'Antoni is who we thought he was. A coach that can only coach his way. Couldn't adopt a system with two bigs effectively. Couldn't adopt a system with two primary ball handlers either. Defense was practiced for a whole 30 minutes can't ask for any more there.

4) Pau should be that guy, but he doesn't have that aggressiveness. I would be surprised if his fga per game increases by more than 1. Nick Young has the chance to prove that he can score with more responsibility. Wesley Johnson is going to have a chance to establish himself as an athletic wing that can play D and hit the the 3 to stretch the floor.

5) If the Heat lose and Wade looks done and Bosh doesn't produce then LeBron will probably leave. After the Heat I'm sure he'll look at Cleveland then LA, NY, CHI then whoever has the best team with cap space.

Bonus - first game
TheGreatDeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Lakers are my favorite team, so my answers will be longer for this "FIVE QUESTIONS" thread than any other thread.

1. Discuss Kobe.

I think Kobe is a top 10 basketball player of all-time, and he will continue to be one even if he isn't the same phenomenal baller when he returns from injury.
I think Kobe gets overrated by his Stans while completely underrated by his haters. If Kobe averages 6 APG (like he did in 2012-13), people don't acknowledge it. If Kobe drops 40 PPG for a few games in a row (like he has done countless times throughout his career), people say he's a chucker and "anybody taking that many shots could do the same."
I've had times where I've hated Kobe (plenty of times this past season), but I also have come to appreciate him for who he is. He doesn't change the script to follow popular opinion on the court, unless you count that time he called that ref a "f*cking f*ggot" and now he supports homosexuality. What I mean is if he wants to take the final shot, he'll take it. If the team is not doing well, he'll go on a scoring rampage. If the team is doing just fine, he'll be the assist man.
He's easily top 5 talent-wise, but career-wise I'll keep him within the top 7-8 players of all-time.
Lastly, I don't expect him to come back next season and average close to 30 a night and almost win the scoring title like he has done the past 2 seasons; however, let me use the biggest cliche in all of NBA history here... If anybody can do it, it's gotta be Kobe.

TRUE. I've disliked Dwight since that nonsense he started in Orlando a couple seasons back, causing SVG & the Magic's GM to lose their jobs. I don't think he's worthy of being a team's franchise player, which would explain why he went to Houston and joined their franchise player in pursuit of a ring.
He's a terrible person. All his former Magic teammates hate him (see JJ & Rashard's quotes on the jackass); he has kids who I'm sure he rarely visits; from all accounts, he's a jerk IRL to anyone who isn't a hot, young chick, and if he is nice to you, it's because there are too many people around for him to show you how much of an asshole he really is.
I can't stand Dwight, and the fact that this piece of shit even has fans anymore is beyond me.

TRUE. The guy struggles adjusting his system to his personnel. I wish the Lakers had just left well alone and hired Bernie Bickerstaff as the head coach after firing Mike Brown (this is all assuming the rumors about Phil Jax's demands being true).

Nick Young. He averaged 17.4 with the Wizards in 2010-11. I think if Kobe doesn't come back in time, Nick Young has an opportunity to prove he can be a relatively decent scorer. I doubt he averages 20+, but I do think he can hit the high-teens again with sufficient play times.

FALSE. I don't think LBJ wants to take another hit to his public image. If he is leaving the Heat, he's more likely to go back to the Cavs than to go to any other team.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #15
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Kurosawa0 has no real reputation yet.

Discuss Kobe.

Kobe is amazing. He's heading into year 18 and hopefully should still be in the top 5-10 players in the league like he's been for the past few years. I don't see him really competing for a title anymore, but it will be interesting to see how long he can keep this level of play up. Great player. Locked in somewhere between 7 and 15 all-time.

False. What really hurts about Dwight Howard leaving is that now the Lakers have no future to sell to potential free agents down the line. No matter what you think of Dwight, it would've been easier to sell a Carmelo or a LeBron on coming to the Lakers if he was already there.

False. He's not a fraud in the sense that D'Antoni has had success in the NBA legitimately. He was just the absolute wrong coach to takeover this team. I wouldn't mind having him as a coach of a young, athletic team, but not one that has veterans and was in a championship or bust season. He's not that guy.

I guess you have to go with Wes Johnson. He's going to get his opportunity to show he's an NBA player. Earl Clark took advantage of his shot last year. Let's see if Wes can do the same.

False. LeBron isn't going anywhere that won't give him a strong shot at winning titles and the Lakers aren't even close at the moment. Any shot they had at getting LeBron left with Dwight.
Kurosawa0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: