Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Memphis Grizzlies Edition

We continue our series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413
Cleveland Cavaliers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310627
Dallas Mavericks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310731
Denver Nuggets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310870
Detroit Pistons: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311175
Golden State Warriors: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311293
Houston Rockets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311431
Indiana Pacers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311554
Los Angeles Clippers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311738
Los Angeles Lakers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311894

Today's team?

THE MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

PG - Conley/Bayless/Calathes
SG - Allen/Miller/Franklin
SF - Prince/Pondexter
PF - Randolph/Davis/Leuer/Reed
C - Gasol/Koufos

Head Coach - David Joerger
General Manager - Chris Wallace

1. TRUE or FALSE: The Grizzlies are better off without Rudy Gay.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Grizzlies had a good offseason signing the Amazin' Caucasians!: Mike Miller, Kostas Koufos, and Nick Calathes.

3. TRUE or FALSE: The Grizzlies are going to miss Lionel Hollins.

4. TRUE or FALSE: Zach Randolph is Fool's Gold.

5. To get to the next level, Grizzlies need to do: (A) More of the same or (B) Something different. Explain.

BONUS GAME. WHEEL OF FORTUNE™ style:

Grizzlies? This ain't Vancouver! Let's get something with more local flavor. Solve the Puzzle!!!

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: Miami Heat. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Heat? Send me a PM with ideas.

Last edited by bagelred : 09-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
cos88
Banned

cos88 is starting to rub some people the wrong waycos88 is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Memphis Grizzlies Edition

BREAKING: Tony Wroten was traded to 76ers.
cos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
I<3NBA
NBA lottery pick

I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

true. the improvement showed, in their win-rate and them getting further into the playoffs.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Grizzlies had a good offseason signing the Amazin' Caucasians!: Mike Miller, Kostas Koufos, and Nick Calathes.

True. Miller and Koufos are both a good pick up for them. idk much about Nick Calathes but i feel like he's a good pick up too.

False. rumor is his asst coach organized much of the Grizzlies system. so we'll see. but i'm betting they do even better without him.

false. i think he's changed for the better and they only really need shooters to open up the paint for him and Gasol. they were shut down because they have no good shooters to relieve the pressure off the paint.

5. To get to the next level, Grizzlies need to do: A) More of the same or B) Something Different. Explain.

c. they need to do, not more of the same but just the same. but they also need to add 3 point shooting.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Jameerthefear
C/O 2016 <3 Manaka

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

True. The Grizzlies weren't going anywhere with him and he's not worth the money.

I don't think Mike Miller is going to have a good year. He's not going to have the same looks he got on Miami. Kostas is a pretty good pickup, but they haven't done anything too spectacular to put them over the hill. Don't know too much about Nick
I hear the asst. coach was the mastermind behind what they were doing anyways. I think Lionel Hollins is a good coach though
Nah, but he's getting old. Grizzlies should have made more moves imo.
5. To get to the next level, Grizzlies need to do: A) More of the same or B) Something Different. Explain.
B. Something different. The rest of the West improved, but I don't feel the same about the Grizzlies. Their not a top 3 west team anymore, and I'm not even sure if they could beat the Clippers or Warriors.
Jameerthefear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
jlip
Good college starter

jlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation here

True. At least under Hollins' system. I don't know what Joerger is going to do. While Rudy added more talent, he did not fit in as well with the Grizzlies' style. I always believe that, in a team sport, synergy is almost as important as talent.

Hmmm...I don't know much about either of those players other than Mike Miller. So I can't say.

I believe strongly, Yes. I just don't know this new guy. Plus Hollins had the respect of the players and led the franchise further than it has ever gone. Joerger has a tough act to follow.

Nah...He is what we thought he was. Actually he has somewhat exceeded my expectations since he's come to Memphis. He's a rather unathletic, but highly skilled pf who just so happen to struggle against a taller and good defensive frontline in the Spurs.

It depends on the new coach. What can he get out of them? What is going to be his system? They do need to maintain their defensive approach. Also, if they can get another reliable and efficient 13-15 ppg scorer who is not a ball stopper (which Rudy was) then I think they could improve somewhat.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

A -- Better with Prince, as opposed to Gay? False. Right to look to trade him? True

A -- In that sense, True. But losing Hollins negates the gains.

A -- This year, True.

A -- Zach Randolph has been the same player for the last 10 years. So if you felt highly on him 10 years ago, then you should now, and vice versa. Since all the "experts" hated on him in Portland, I see no reason to suddenly start loving him. Therefore.. .True, Fool's Gold. Trade him while his value is high.

5. To get to the next level, Grizzlies need to do: (A) More of the same or (B) Something different. Explain.
A -- I like adding shooters. Grizzlies are the Bulls of the West, though. Need more players that can create their own shot (at least one more).

Grizzlies? This ain't Vancouver! Let's get something with more local flavor. Solve the Puzzle!!!
A -- Don't know enough about Memphis, nor am I that creative... Pass.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA sixth man of the year

JimmyMcAdocious is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJimmyMcAdocious is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJimmyMcAdocious is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJimmyMcAdocious is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJimmyMcAdocious is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJimmyMcAdocious is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJimmyMcAdocious is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJimmyMcAdocious is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

--True. Are they a better team right now without him? It's arguable. Are they better set for the future without his contract and what his contract allowed him to do on the court? Unequivocally yes.

--It needs to be examined by what was gained vs lost.

Lost: Darrell Arthur, Austin Daye, Donte Greene, Tony Wroten
Gained: Nick Calathes, Jamaal Franklin, Kosta Koufos, Mike Miller

I think Arthur is a good player when he's healthy, but his leaving opens up playing time for Ed Davis, who is probably a legitimate starter down the road and Z-Bo's eventual replacement. And the rest I don't really know about to be honest. Mike Miller is good for a competing team, I thought Franklin was a good pick and a steal at the draft spot, and Koufos gave good minutes to Denver last season. Then again, I like Wroten's upside more than most.

I'll call it wash, bordering good because I'm shocked on how little Ed Davis played after they traded for him. If Arthur being gone opens up more minutes for him to develop, then that's a win.

--Maybe. Joerger did learn under him so I doubt there will be much a difference in their stylistic approach. I never thought of Hollins being a brilliant basketball mind. Between their offseason pick ups and the change at head coach, maybe they just wanted to get more white?

--Fool's Gold seems rough. I don't think he's as good as people make him out to be. He was dominant against San Antonio in that one playoff series and that seems to have carried a lot of clout the last couple seasons. You can win a championship with him if that helps, just not with him as your #1 or #2, imo. Unless your #1 is LeBron and your #3 and #4 are equally as good as Randolph.

--Hollinger da gawd?
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
jlip
Good college starter

jlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred

Yeah. It is time for another mascot. Typically in Memphis we try to promote either something relevant to our musical history ( i.e. blues, soul, rock, Elvis) or the connection to ancient Egypt. Years ago we had a semipro football team called the Memphis Pharoahs. But Hey...The franchise in Utah is still called the Jazz decades after it moved from New Orleans.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

True - actually the Grizz were better with either Rudy Gay or Zbo. Having both just creates problems.

True - would've wanted Mo Williams but instaed of Calethas but i guess he isnt white

True

Don't know. Past 2 playoffs Zbo looked like he couldn't carry the team anymore. But again it was either Rudy or him.

More of the same. I sure wish Miller, Qpon and Conley shoot the ball well next season

Memphis Blues, they dont even need to change unifroms
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
zac
Local High School Star

zac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat coolzac is considered somewhat cool

True. Rudy is a great player (albeit overpaid), just not efficient and didn't fit with the teams DNA.

True. We all know Miller's skillset, Koufos gives th grizzlies a completely solid back up true Center and Calathes can get the offense into their sets and manage a team without Conley being on the floor.

False. Joerger has been with this team for many years and knows them inside and out. Hollins refused to adapt and would play favorites even if they weren't producing.

False. They don't need to rely on him to just bully his way into point though when they need a basket. He capable of doing it but teams will just double down, like in the past, unless they can prove they can kick out and shoot.

A) but with a faster tempo, like get into the offense faster. This is one of the main things Joerger is gonna be preaching. Play a little faster but not sloppy or outside of the Grizzlies style.

Keep it the same. I know its not regional but the name rules.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This sums up how I feel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0eqZKTjpk&t=0m7s
Old 09-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
bagelred
Weird

Sticky dis.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan has no real reputation yet.

They should play Pondexter ahead of Prince.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
chips93
Very good NBA starter

chips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

True. He is a talented player, but he still hasnt figured out how to be efficient, and to fit into an offense, on top of that, hes a poor defender.

True. its solid, but not enough to get them over the hump. They desperately needed shooting, and miller definitely provides that, but hes not a guy you can play 35 mpg at this stage in his career. They still need a wing player who can play big minutes, hit 3s and play defense. maybe pondexter will become that guy, but even if that works out, im not sure that they have enough shot creators to really contend. Koufos is an upgrade from arthur, but nothing significant, and calathes is pretty much an unknown.

True. he fit the grit and grind ethos of the team perfectly. who knows, this new coach is supposed to be one of the hot, up and coming coaches in the league, so maybe he can push the team a little further.

True. he has had one great playoff run 2 years ago, and has been a soldi player since, but hes not carrying you far in the playoffs anymore.

Something different. they dont really have any young up and coming players on the roster, and they need somebody who can create offense. they have really good passers, so maybe they can run some kind of motion offense to generate better looks, but as their roster is constituted, their offensive ceiling is quite low imo.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

THE MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES

PG - Conley/Bayless/Calathes
SG - Allen/Miller/Franklin
SF - Prince/Pondexter
PF - Randolph/Davis/Leuer/Reed
C - Gasol/Koufos

Head Coach - David Joerger
General Manager - Chris Wallace

[/color]

True, though they didnt get much for him. Maybe his eye surgery changes this, but he was one of the most inefficient scorers in the league. He added an element they are now lacking, but I think they will be fine.

True. Miller is probably not much anymore but he is a great shooter and Koufus is a legit 5 in this league and a pretty smart player. These dont move the needle for this team, but they help solidify positions of need on the bench.

True. I think Lionel is a better coach than people realize.

False. Finally a false! Zach is what he is, a great low post bully and rebounder who is a limited defender. He and Marc play very well together.

Huh, not sure on this one. I do think that they need a more dynamic wing than prince as a starter. But I think the 1,2, 4 and 5 are a great mesh and can take them pretty damn far.

Meh, I am ok with it. Charlotte chose a regional predator (and a pretty deadly one at that) and people mock them for having the bobcats as their name (but somehow hornets, pelicans, hawks, etc. are tougher? bitch, please). But, if we are going to switch the name, I want something regional and historic.

Memphis Soul
Memphis Blues
Memphis Suns

Memphis Mississippis
Memphis Cotton
Memphis Barges
Memphis Delta
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: