Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Milwaukee Bucks Edition

We continue our series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413
Cleveland Cavaliers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310627
Dallas Mavericks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310731
Denver Nuggets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310870
Detroit Pistons: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311175
Golden State Warriors: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311293
Houston Rockets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311431
Indiana Pacers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311554
Los Angeles Clippers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311738
Los Angeles Lakers: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311894
Memphis Grizzlies: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=312029
Miami Heat: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=312148

Today's team?

THE MILWAUKEE BUCKS

PG - Ridnour/Knight/Wolters
SG - Mayo/Neal/Antetokounmpokotematokenounpotontekantokounmpoko
SF - Butler/Delfino/Middleton
PF - Ilyasova/Henson/Udoh
C - Sanders/Pachulia/Raduljica

Head Coach - Larry Drew
General Manager - John Hammond

1. The Bucks refuse to tank and specifically signed talent to make the playoffs. Admirable or Stupid?

2. TRUE or FALSE: Larry Sanders will one day be an All-Star.

3. Butler, Delfino, Mayo, Neal, Pachulia, Ridnour. Which veteran will surprise us in a good way?

4. Best overall future talent : Giannis Antetokounmpo, John Henson, or Brandon Knight.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Milwaukee Bucks will make the playoffs this season.

BONUS TEST: Pronounce Giannis Antetokounmpo. Type it out phonetically for us. (e.g. MIK-al JAUR-dan)

Congratulations to the Milwaukee Bucks!

Give up? Here's GA saying his name: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcg3joGpNvQ

Phonetically in white: YAHN-is anh-teh-toe-KUHN-po

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: Minnesota Timberwolves. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Timberwolves? Send me a PM with ideas.

Last edited by bagelred : 09-16-2013 at 10:06 AM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Milwaukee Bucks Edition

1. The Bucks refuse to tank and specifically signed talent to make the playoffs. Admirable or Stupid? It's both dumb and Admirable, tanking is terrible to watch/be a part of as a fan. There has been cases where tanking has only lead to more tanking from the same team. But obviously with a strong draft maybe they should have.

I would say true, imo he can improve on offense and he will always be a DPOY candidate so I don't see why not.

3. Butler, Delfino, Mayo, Neal, Pachulia, Ridnour. Which veteran will surprise us in a good way?
Butler
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

1. The Bucks refuse to tank and specifically signed talent to make the playoffs. Admirable or Stupid?
A -- Both. Admirable because I believe the lottery is a good idea done completely incorrectly. Teams should always try to win. Stupid because, even if I believe teams should be incentivized to win... they aren't. Use the rules to your advantage or be called stupid.

A -- True.

A -- Mayo is the only one with potential to surprise. Everyone else is what they are... and that is a useful rotational player.

4. Best overall future talent : Giannis Antetokounmpo, John Henson, or Brandon Knight
A -- I know nothing of Giannis, and I can't think of a single NBA star that has ever had such a terrible name. Brandon Knight has at least flashed potential, and he has opportunity. So him.

5. The Milwaukee Bucks will make the playoffs this season.
A -- Heat, Bulls, Pacers, Nets, Knicks, Cavs, Wizards, Hawks all make it ahead of them, so no.
kshutts1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
HurricaneKid
National High School Star

HurricaneKid has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
1. The Bucks refuse to tank and specifically signed talent to make the playoffs. Admirable or Stupid? It's both dumb and Admirable, tanking is terrible to watch/be a part of as a fan. There has been cases where tanking has only lead to more tanking from the same team. But obviously with a strong draft maybe they should have.

I would say true, imo he can improve on offense and he will always be a DPOY candidate so I don't see why not.

Butler

Stupid. You can't get FAs to come to Milwaukee. The only people they can get to come to Milwaukee is their draftees. And they are placing minimal importance on them. Its obscene.

He should be. He is a defensive force. He is also a BAD offensive player and based on how players are selected it seems unlikely.

Mayo. To be honest I'm not that optimistic about any of them. Just the level of FA signings Milwaukee can get (and another reason to place some importance on getting good picks).

Henson. I suppose it could be Gi but he is SOOOooo far from where he wants to get it seems crazy to even discuss. Henson had some magical games for Milw and should be getting a LOT more PT.

God I hope not. Wade played for Marquette (who plays in the same building as the Bucks), LeBron is the best player in the world and I got playoff tix on a Groupon like site for half off. Time to develop our young players and grab a decent pick in an insanely good draft class.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
Stupid. You can't get FAs to come to Milwaukee. The only people they can get to come to Milwaukee is their draftees. And they are placing minimal importance on them. Its obscene.

He should be. He is a defensive force. He is also a BAD offensive player and based on how players are selected it seems unlikely.

Mayo. To be honest I'm not that optimistic about any of them. Just the level of FA signings Milwaukee can get (and another reason to place some importance on getting good picks).

Henson. I suppose it could be Gi but he is SOOOooo far from where he wants to get it seems crazy to even discuss. Henson had some magical games for Milw and should be getting a LOT more PT.

God I hope not. Wade played for Marquette (who plays in the same building as the Bucks), LeBron is the best player in the world and I got playoff tix on a Groupon like site for half off. Time to develop our young players and grab a decent pick in an insanely good draft class.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Stupid. If you're the Lakers or Knicks trying to rebuild thats a different story, because Milwaukee wont lure free agents and neither do they overspend alot to get free agents so the only way to get better is by drafting.

False. He'll be a borderline all-star just because there aren't alot of good bigs in the L. But he'll max out as a 15/10 guy that gets a lot of blocks but nothing much more.

I think a few of them will turn out to be good signings.

Caron def still has game, people forgetting he was a 2 time all star and at 33, he's not THAT old and washed up.

Delfino and Zaza i feel have been under-utilized for awhile now. Both can play starter minutes and if given the opportunity i think they can be really solid players.

4. Best overall future talent : Giannis Antetokounmpo, John Henson, or Brandon Knight

Giannis has the raw potential for sure. Knight would be a safe pick to turn out to be a solid player, but Giannis has all star potential.

Nah.
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
HurricaneKid
National High School Star

HurricaneKid has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1

In the 80s the Bucks were outstanding. They routinely went deep into the playoffs but kept running into the Celtics and 76ers (thought they did knock the 76ers out twice and the Celts once, they never could get past both) and lost to one or the other 8 straight years.

Since 1989 they have made it to the second round of the playoffs exactly ONCE.

There was significant excitement in 09-10 when they went on a GREAT post ASB run where they went 21-5 and actually had a home game to win a series (The Hawks won then were swept the following round and were outscored by exactly 100 points in the series).

Fans are sick of signing the dregs of the league and never even approaching hope.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
kshutts1
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
In the 80s the Bucks were outstanding. They routinely went deep into the playoffs but kept running into the Celtics and 76ers (thought they did knock the 76ers out twice and the Celts once, they never could get past both) and lost to one or the other 8 straight years.

Since 1989 they have made it to the second round of the playoffs exactly ONCE.

There was significant excitement in 09-10 when they went on a GREAT post ASB run where they went 21-5 and actually had a home game to win a series (The Hawks won then were swept the following round and were outscored by exactly 100 points in the series).

Fans are sick of signing the dregs of the league and never even approaching hope.
I understand the wanting a high lottery pick. I don't understand where you were going with Wade, Lebron, and your playoff tickets.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Flat out stupid. How many seasons have the bucks been on the treadmill of mediocrity now?

True.

No idea.

No idea.

Maybe. Miami, Chi, Indy, NJ, NY, are all in for sure. That leaves 3 spots for Atlanta, Cleveland, Washington, Detroit, Toronto and Milwaukee; East is definitely much stronger this year.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Buckshot
I airball my layups

Buckshot has an OK reputation so far

Admirable. If you're always trying to tank you will never be good. Atfer Wiggins are are you going to tank for ______? Then ______?

TRUE! He was robbed of DPOY last year

OJ Mayo is a sleeper. He is going to average 25+ next year

Giannis Antetokounmpo is the next Kevin Durant. He's long with a great jumpshot that isn't afraid to drive the hoop . He might be Rookie of the Year. He's been playing pro ball in Europe for a while. He needs to put on some mucsle though

Yes. They are better than the Wizards, Hawks, and Raptors. Cavs may not even have Bynum next year so maybe them too
Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

THE MILWAUKEE BUCKS

SG - Mayo/Neal/Antetokounmpo

Head Coach - Larry Drew

[/color]

Admirable. How many teams have actually achieved success through tanking? We act like that is the only way to contend, but there is only one team in the last decade that has successfully done so (the tunder). Every year, teams like charlotte, kings, etc. tank, and where does it get them? I would rather see a team try and improve through internal development and trades than tank.

False. He is a great shotblocker, but probably an overrated overall defender. He will be a very good young big, but I dont think he will ever be one of the two best in the East.

Pachulia if he gets any playing time. Otherwise Carlos, but I dont think that many of us would be terribly surprised. He is a very competent nba player.

I guess Im gonna go Giannis, simply because I am not high on the other two. Knight is not a starting caliber pg in the league, hes too small for the 2. I was very annoyed that he was handed the keys to the pistons, while drummond had to earn a spot.

Huh, I am not sure. I think they will be better than expected. But I also think that ATL, WAS, DET, and CLE will be in the hunt for the last 3 spots.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA rookie of the year

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here

--It's beyond stupid and their fan base deserves better. It's not even that they refuse to tank, it's that they consistently smack their own face with their *****. How did they manage lose Tobias Harris for basically nothing?

--False. I really like Sanders, but he's not an allstar type of player. I think Valanciunas emerges as an all-star, maybe Drummond, maybe Bynum miraculously heals, there's still Noah and (the overrated) Hibbert. Maybe Noel turns out to be a legit #1 pick talent. Too much talent at center.

--I actually think Gary Neal could go HAM with consistent minutes. I truly believe he's one of the best shot makers in the NBA. People said he made lucky shots in the playoffs... No, he actually does that frequently. He's just a chucker and Pop has to control him. Now he can unleash. Neal with it, bitches.

--Henson for three reasons:

1) His physical tools are 99 percentile by even the NBA standards. He's actually very skilled. Can handle a little, has a turn around jumper, is a very good passer, can go to the left or right in the post with actual post moves. Actually he's right handed and primarily goes to his left. Big time talent. Needs to catch up on the mental side and improve defensively, but I trust experience will fix that.

2) I think Knight is a 7th man. There's nothing I saw from him in Detroit that suggests he's a future starting PG. Then he's just too small to be a SG in the NBA.

3) I have no idea who the foreign guy is.

--Probably. They are about the same as last year. I hope they don't and they realize tanking is the way to go. They actually have solid foundation to build on. If Henson and Sanders develop like they should, there won't be many NBA teams with a better post duo.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
THE MILWAUKEE BUCKS

SG - Mayo/Neal/Antetokounmpo

Head Coach - Larry Drew

[/color]

Admirable. How many teams have actually achieved success through tanking? We act like that is the only way to contend, but there is only one team in the last decade that has successfully done so (the tunder). Every year, teams like charlotte, kings, etc. tank, and where does it get them? I would rather see a team try and improve through internal development and trades than tank.

False. He is a great shotblocker, but probably an overrated overall defender. He will be a very good young big, but I dont think he will ever be one of the two best in the East.

Pachulia if he gets any playing time. Otherwise Carlos, but I dont think that many of us would be terribly surprised. He is a very competent nba player.

I guess Im gonna go Giannis, simply because I am not high on the other two. Knight is not a starting caliber pg in the league, hes too small for the 2. I was very annoyed that he was handed the keys to the pistons, while drummond had to earn a spot.

Huh, I am not sure. I think they will be better than expected. But I also think that ATL, WAS, DET, and CLE will be in the hunt for the last 3 spots.

In a star driven league you need star power to win and contend for championships. There are exceptions, notably Detroit, but that's pretty much it. Would San Antonio have won 4 chips without landing Tim Duncan? Probably not.

Compare Cleveland to Milwaukee and Toronto.

Cleveland went from a contender, to lottery team for 3 seasons, to fringe playoff team.

In the same span, Milwaukee and Toronto went from fringe playoff team, to fringe playoff team.

While Milwaukee and Toronto were going about things the "honorable" way Cleveland stocked up on a heap of young talent that will only get better as they grow together.

Out of those three teams on paper Cleveland right now has the brightest future. As a fan I am pleased my franchise tried to build a team from the ground up rather than try to stick it out and overspend on B level talent.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world

Stupid. If you're the Lakers or Knicks trying to rebuild thats a different story, because Milwaukee wont lure free agents and neither do they overspend alot to get free agents so the only way to get better is by drafting.

Why do people say this about the knicks? They were one of the worst teams in the league for most of a decade, despite having a payroll 2 times the salary cap? Look at who has won during the post MJ era? Almost all of them did not build through Free Agency, but through trades or drafts. The exception is the lebron-led Heat and shaq-led lakers. Later lakers were dependent on trade for pau and internal development of draft pick bynum.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
In a star driven league you need star power to win and contend for championships. There are exceptions, notably Detroit, but that's pretty much it. Would San Antonio have won 4 chips without landing Tim Duncan? Probably not.

Compare Cleveland to Milwaukee and Toronto.

Cleveland went from a contender, to lottery team for 3 seasons, to fringe playoff team.

In the same span, Milwaukee and Toronto went from fringe playoff team, to fringe playoff team.

While Milwaukee and Toronto were going about things the "honorable" way Cleveland stocked up on a heap of young talent that will only get better as they grow together.

Out of those three teams on paper Cleveland right now has the brightest future. As a fan I am pleased my franchise tried to build a team from the ground up rather than try to stick it out and overspend on B level talent.
they havent rebuilt yet. They are currently at the same spot as MIl. Tor doesnt deserve to be in the discussion, since they have had top 10 picks every year since the decision, same as cleveland. and they are not a fringe playoff team.

And yes, the cavs are rebuilding smart. Not all teams do that. Most teams get stuck in rebuild, make some bad draft decisions and wallow there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: