Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    College star T-Low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,056

    Default Iverson returning...

    I have a wild idea but why not, for a 1 year contract, try Iverson out. Yes, he has had a troubled past but I think we should give him a try. Yes, call me crazy but we need to try something.

  2. #2
    Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,900

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    Iverson would just take time away from Bayless. The Raptors need to see what they have in Bayless and whether or not he's worth keeping around for the long-run.

    No to Iverson for me.

  3. #3
    LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12,371

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    I'd watch.

  4. #4
    The Clumsy Waiter Toni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,166

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    It doesn't really matter, does it?

    He probably won't play for a non-contending team anyways.

  5. #5
    College star T-Low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,056

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    The way Bayless played this past season, I was very unimpressed....

  6. #6
    Playoffs! bokes15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,288

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    I said this last summer when he was desperately seeking work and it was met with the same kind of cynicism from this thread, so I knew what to expect before I opened it. I also suggested JR Smith but people on here said they don't like his attitude and that he'd take away Derozan's minutes. But for me it's like the ONLY people's minutes who are of any concern are Derozan, Ed Davis, and to a far lesser extent Johnson/Bayless. And as for "attitude problems" I don't really care for that unless it actually happens in our facility. There are guys that people have claimed to have attitude problems on one team and they come to another team and don't have any problems at all, in addition to adding an edge to the team. Like JO when he came to us, Ron Artest on the Lakers, and I could go on and on. I personally want guys that bring an edge and get under people's skin to be on this team. I guess it's a somewhat unrelated rant but i'm sure someone see's where i'm going with this.

  7. #7
    College star T-Low's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,056

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    I said this last summer when he was desperately seeking work and it was met with the same kind of cynicism from this thread, so I knew what to expect before I opened it. I also suggested JR Smith but people on here said they don't like his attitude and that he'd take away Derozan's minutes. But for me it's like the ONLY people's minutes who are of any concern are Derozan, Ed Davis, and to a far lesser extent Johnson/Bayless. And as for "attitude problems" I don't really care for that unless it actually happens in our facility. There are guys that people have claimed to have attitude problems on one team and they come to another team and don't have any problems at all, in addition to adding an edge to the team. Like JO when he came to us, Ron Artest on the Lakers, and I could go on and on. I personally want guys that bring an edge and get under people's skin to be on this team. I guess it's a somewhat unrelated rant but i'm sure someone see's where i'm going with this.
    I kind of like where you are going here. We need some fire to spark this team.

  8. #8
    Riggin' for Wiggins! Chamberlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cape Breton Island
    Posts
    3,578

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    I personally want guys that bring an edge and get under people's skin to be on this team. I guess it's a somewhat unrelated rant but i'm sure someone see's where i'm going with this.
    I absolutely want that too. But I still say no to Iverson. JR Smith? Sure! I'd love that.

  9. #9
    Playoffs! bokes15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,288

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chamberlain
    I absolutely want that too. But I still say no to Iverson. JR Smith? Sure! I'd love that.
    Well yeah, i kind of shifted focus mid-rant to something i've been saying for awhile now. Not Iverson specifically but someone who plays with an edge. Someone who works hard and pushes everyone even harder rather than trying to be everyone's friend. And someone who opposing teams hate to play against.

  10. #10
    High School Varsity 6th Man
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    764

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    Iverson would just take time away from Bayless. The Raptors need to see what they have in Bayless and whether or not he's worth keeping around for the long-run.

    No to Iverson for me.
    If that's the reason not to play him, just bring Iverson in already. I'm shocked someone still thinks highly of Bayless, he's an ok backup, but I think we already know what we have in him, and that's not worth a starting spot now or in the future.

  11. #11
    Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,900

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    but I think we already know what we have in him, and that's not worth a starting spot now or in the future.
    I don't know how you can say that. How many games did he start? 15? He played alright in those games too but it's not a big enough sample to make a judgement on a player. If this season happens, it's basically another write-off for the Raptors so why not let Bayless start the full year? There's no one better on the roster to be investing time in at PG. If he sucks, you dump him. Easy as that. Same goes for James Johnson at SF.

  12. #12
    Serious playground baller
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    417

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    Bayless is not a playmaker and will never be. He is an undersized and below-average SG that could have some success in Europe, but not in the NBA. We should know that by now. In 5 years from now Calderon will still be a better PG than Bayless, so we have to play Calderon either we think in the present or the future.

    Iverson has to know that he is completely done as a basketball player. If he is talking about coming back to the NBA it is probably more about marketing than anything.

  13. #13
    Local High School Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,437

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    See post about bringing back Anthony Parker.

    No to Iverson.

    Keep Bayliss - see what he really will be.

  14. #14
    High School Varsity 6th Man
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    764

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    Quote Originally Posted by FCardelle
    Bayless is not a playmaker and will never be. He is an undersized and below-average SG that could have some success in Europe, but not in the NBA. We should know that by now. In 5 years from now Calderon will still be a better PG than Bayless, so we have to play Calderon either we think in the present or the future.

    Iverson has to know that he is completely done as a basketball player. If he is talking about coming back to the NBA it is probably more about marketing than anything.
    This.
    I don't know in wich alternate reality Bayless could be a better playmaker than Calderon.
    Bayless is a backup combo-guard, I'm ok with him taking Barbosa's spot, I'm not ok with him starting for the Raptors now or in the future.

  15. #15
    Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    10,900

    Default Re: Iverson returning...

    I'm not ok with him starting for the Raptors now or in the future.
    Again, based on less than a 1/4 of a season starting? If the same patience was applied to Bargnani then he would have been taken out back and shot Old Yeller-style after his 2nd season. At least that would have saved the Raptors $50 million down the road. The Raptors have already given Bargnani 5 years to try to develop and will probably sink another 5 years into him because he was a 1st overall pick. You're clearly in favour of that. It shouldn't hurt to give players like Bayless and James Johnson just 1 year. Especially when there are no other young options and the team is pegged to be one of the worst in the league. This is a low risk and potential high reward scenario.

    No one is saying Bayless is great but what's the harm in starting him and seeing if he can become a starter? Who else do the Raptors have to develop at PG this season? And who cares if he's not a great playmaker? The role of a PG is to make the offense more efficient by whatever means. Whether that's by creating your own offense, running pick and rolls or being a Chris Paul godlike creator for your teammates. Tony Parker was never much of a playmaker and I'm sure most people would have killed to have him on the Raptors a couple years ago.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •