Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Lakers Not Done Making Moves? Josh Smith Next?

Lakers get weaker if this trade happens. it would play right into the hands of Miami who will be able to play small ball against LA. Pau is what will keep Miami in trouble.

First of all, how many times am I going to be quoted here? Sheesh

Secondly, I must be living in the twilight zone, I thought I was in the world where Laker fans have been complaining about Pau disappearing way too often no matter who's on the floor. You guys have been complaining about how he's too soft as well.

I don't want the Hawks to trade Smoove anywhere, but I do think that move would make the Lakers the team to beat for some time. Their protection of the rim would be phenomenal.

Finally, it's not 2009, Smith is better than Gasol. You can really tell who didn't watch games last year. Or look at stats.

Quote Originally Posted by RaininTwos
    First of all, how many times am I going to be quoted here? Sheesh

Secondly, I must be living in the twilight zone, I thought I was in the world where Laker fans have been complaining about Pau disappearing way too often no matter who's on the floor. You guys have been complaining about how he's too soft as well.

I don't want the Hawks to trade Smoove anywhere, but I do think that move would make the Lakers the team to beat for some time. Their protection of the rim would be phenomenal.

Finally, it's not 2009, Smith is better than Gasol. You can really tell who didn't watch games last year. Or look at stats.
    Question, who do you feel makes the Lakers and overall better team with their current roster? Gasol or Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Question, who do you feel makes the Lakers and overall better team with their current roster? Gasol or Smith?
    This isn't even a question. Smith.

Decent playground baller No Evans!'s Avatar

Hawks would not do this now. That was Rick Sund not Danny Ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by RaininTwos
    This isn't even a question. Smith.
    I agree. Although I do feel Pau fits the Lakers better at least offensively, but Smith's defensive regard just tips the scale in his favor. A Howard+Smith defensive front court would be interesting.

If they can somehow manage to keep Gasol, and get Smith than this Lakers team will be the greatest roster ever assembled.

Nash
    Kobe
    Smith
    Gasol
    Dwight

However, it seems the "rumour" is Gasol for Smith. If that is true then I think the Lakers would be giving up a chance at an NBA title. The defense is going to be great with the 3x DPOY manning the middle, and an "all defensive 1st team" guard on the perimiter, with a former DPOY also on the wing.

It is the Lakers offense that needs spacing because of Dwight's lack of ability to shoot even a 10 foot jumper. Pau solves that because he can hit from outside the paint consistantly, and you need to respect his shooting ability. With Smith, and no Gasol their defense wouldn't improve as much as their offense would suffer imho. Smith isn't a terrible shooter, but he is not as good as Gasol, and therefore teams will cheat off of him into the paint to help on Dwight, which will make the Lakers weaker offensively. It would also make things harder for Kobe and Nash to drive into the lane because Smith and Howard would be clogging up the middle.

I love the move if they can do it without including Gasol, but if they inculde him I think it is a terrible move.

Would Horford + Smith for Gasol, and MWP work? If so that could be phenominal...

Edit: I realise that Horford and Smith are far and away the two best players in the deal, but after two years Gasol and MWP are completely off the books giving the Hawks a ton of cap space in the 2014 off season when a lot of marquee players are free agents.
    Last edited by lilgodfather1; 10-26-2012 at 11:29 AM.

It depends on whether or not they play thru Gasol at all. If they're not going to, then this would be the right move. And it could work for Atlanta too, in that they would have two combo PF/C's to play thru, and who both run the floor well. Gasol is the better rebounder, and he would improve their half-court.

Atlanta would also be older, and they're not necessarily trying to win like that this minute. Their window is different from the Lakers' window.

But Smith is great on the run and is also a great passer and creater when he runs. He doesn't need the ball in the half-court the way Gasol does. He's Dwight's best friend or whatever. Gives them both a reason to stay. Tho I would argue that Smith is not yet better than Gasol. Last year he was. I don't think Gasol has declined tho.

But again, why would Atlanta want to get older if it isn't to win right this minute?