Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Peak NBA player draft signup

I am going to copy and paste my post from the GOAT list thread.

Your current list seems to be a little more geared towards a players legacy while a peak draft is more about skill so while it is a kinda similar theme it has its own set of criteria and tests a posters ability to properly assess talent, chemistry, and overall fit of a team.

I would really enjoy if someone were to create the topic and if we got some legit posters to be involved in it and I think it would be a good way to discuss the xs and os of a team and a general idea of a teams construction.

I think there should be 10 players and 10 rounds. We choose 9 players and 1 coach. When the draft is done there are two options to choose a winner. We can either all make a post explaining why our team is the best and then a vote off happens with the active participants. No one can vote for themselves. They vote for three people and the number 1 vote gets 3 points, 2nd place 2 and 3rd place 1. Highest score wins and in the event of a tie we have a second round of voting.

The other option is we have a "play-in round" that leads to a playoffs. The voting happens in a similar manner for the play in round and the 8 highest vote getters join the playoff bracket. (with the highest vote getter on one side of the bracket and the lowest as the 4 seed on the same side, 2nd highest as the # 1 on the other side of the bracket and the 2nd lowest vote getter as the 4 seed on the other side. In the event of a 2 or 3 way tie the player with the most 1st place votes gets the higher side). Once the bracket has been set we have the playoffs where the high seed posts why he think his team would beat the low seed and then the low seed counters and then the high seed gets a 2nd counter (the high seed gets 2 times to argue there case as a way to simulate home court advantage and to reward someone for quality drafting).

As far as the rules that we play the game under I think it should be a mix of modern and oldschool. We bring handchecking back. We remove the 5 second back to the basket rule and possibly remove the 3 second rule (Im leery of bringing it back because I feel it would start to put the balance of power a little more towards post players and it would also hinder the effectiveness of dribble drive players).

I want to get a gauge from posters to see if there willing to participate. I truthfully really want to do it and I know kizzle used to always play when we were doing it so I hope he would be interested. If no one else wants to create the topic and be the comish I will

Seeding for drafting will be done by a random number generator. You get assigned a number based off spot you signed up for the draft (so the 7th person would be the 7th number in the number generator).

Anyone who has an interest in doing this please reply to this post (I don't log into my account often so I wont notice a pm immediately)

I hope to generate interest.
    Now I've pmed a bunch of members and gotten some interest.

Spots that are already filled:
    1. Me
    2. kshutts
    3. lkizzle
    4. Marchesk
    5. fpliii (if you want to do it. you were a little hesitant when I initially offered)
    6. Boutpractice
    7. riseagainst
    8. Demitri98
    9. Legends66NBA7
    10. Dr hee
    Last edited by Rizko; 09-02-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: Peak NBA player draft signup

me.

I'm in.

Now what I want to use this thread for is t fill out the remaining 5-6 spots. I have final call on spots and will not allow trolls to join.

I also want to use this thread to discuss different rules. Both in how we determine a winner and what NBA rules are going to be used (reference my first post to get an idea of what I mean).

I kinda have an idea of the rules I think we can go with but I want posters who join to maybe throw an idea out about different potential rules we can add or remove to make the game as inclusive as possible.

Count me in.

This is a few examples of how we used to do the draft just so new posters who weren't around to see them get an idea of how they go:

New draft we did: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...51#post5283351

90s draft: I didn't do too well lol, but considering I was only 19 I think I held my own: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=180288
    One I wasn't part of:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=271260

80's, again I didn't do too well but Ive learned a lot from then:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=182947

The first one:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=175298

Cool you all seem to be good posters from what I remember so Ill add you all.

You can count me in, OP.

College superstar

Thread title doesn't make it clear. Are we drafting from the all time pool of players? Or decade-specific? Or are we supposed to vote? I'm in favor of all time pool.

Cool. Got a lot more interest then I thought. Once spots are filled up we can talk about the rules were gonna use and other things.

Im also go have 1 or 2 alternates on the off chance that a player who signs up misses or is chronically late for there picks

Quote Originally Posted by Rizko
    Cool. Got a lot more interest then I thought. Once spots are filled up we can talk about the rules were gonna use and other things.

Im also go have 1 or 2 alternates on the off chance that a player who signs up misses or is chronically late for there picks
    Any idea when you're going to start? Immediately, or in the next few hours, days etc?

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    Thread title doesn't make it clear. Are we drafting from the all time pool of players? Or decade-specific? Or are we supposed to vote? I'm in favor of all time pool.
    Good question. Im thinking we should so alltime player pool. That way someone like whose into older player can draft them and vice versa.

I also will allow ABA and famous Euroleauge players (Like Sabonis for instance).

It will also make more variety in teams so someone that wants an oldschool style team that posts up a lot and works the midrange can do that and if someone wants to have a newschool spread offense team they can do that as well.

The most important thing in choosing a winner is determining how effect the team would play together, not a personal preference towards a style you think is more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Demitri98
    Any idea when you're going to start? Immediately, or in the next few hours, days etc?
    Once slots fill up Ill do a random number generator and it will assign draft position and then well go from there.

National High School Star dr.hee's Avatar

I'd be in if I'm allowed to.

Yea no doubt. Your a good poster. Fpliii was reticent about joining. He was afraid he might not have enough knowledge lol (he knows more then most, but its a common occurrence for someone that has a lot of knowledge to underrate themselves and someone who is ignorant of a subject to overrate themselves.)

I am going to let one more person join. It will be a contingent position. Either fpliii does want to play and you become an alternate or fpliii doesn't and you take his spot