Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 102

Thread: Fallout 4

  1. #16
    Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,189

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    It's so true though

    How many open world games you see get shit reviews?

    Not many

    MGS5 has an incomplete, shit hole of a story? So how did it get perfect 10's? Open world.
    Huh?

    It's a great game. Like... open world, linear, story, no story, etc. All of that shit is secondary to: is the game a good game?

    To answer plowking's question they don't get a pass so much as it's to be expected from such a large game. When the game has been out for a while patches fix most large bugs, and all that's left are minor. Since bugs are going to occur it then becomes almost a contest to see who can discover the craziest bug. Everyone has a Skyrim story.

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,652

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Huh?

    It's a great game. Like... open world, linear, story, no story, etc. All of that shit is secondary to: is the game a good game?

    To answer plowking's question they don't get a pass so much as it's to be expected from such a large game. When the game has been out for a while patches fix most large bugs, and all that's left are minor. Since bugs are going to occur it then becomes almost a contest to see who can discover the craziest bug. Everyone has a Skyrim story.
    Missing the point

  3. #18
    NBA Superstar Heavincent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,899

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    So why is it games like this with a rep get a pass for gamebreaking bugs, while others get scored down?

    I've never understood the appeal of Fallout. I played 3, and found it clunky and quite sluggish. I know there is a lot to do but I don't particularly think that and a whole bunch of customisations for weapons deserves as high praise as it gets.
    It's the Bethesda formula. Create a character, loot the shit out of everything, explore the giant open world, make your own choices, etc. But these games are janky and have lots of glitches and don't control particularly well, and the graphics aren't great.

    Personally, I'm not a huge fan. I kind of liked Fallout 3 though. Being an evil bastard was fun as shit in that game. Making deals with slave traders, letting the ghouls overrun that hotel, and blowing up an entire ****ing town in exchange for cash. The main quest was boring as shit though. Water purity project? Um, I just got done enslaving somebody. Helping my dad with some dumb project doesn't seem like something my character would be interested in.

    Skyrim is an absolute snooze fest. Literally one of the most boring games I've ever played in my life. Combat is shit, story is shit, and the game in general is a monotonous slog. Characters are basically cardboard cutouts who are only there to send you to generic cave #43 to retrieve some random item. **** that game. I'll never understand how it received such high praise.

  4. #19
    Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,189

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Missing the point
    Not at all. You said why did MGS5 get good reviews? You said because it's open world.

    I answered because it's a good game.


  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,652

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Not at all. You said why did MGS5 get good reviews? You said because it's open world.

    I answered because it's a good game.

    Missing the point once again

    I never said MGS wasn't a good game

    Read again

  6. #21
    Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,189

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Missing the point once again

    I never said MGS wasn't a good game

    Read again
    I didn't say you said it wasn't a good game.

    You were claiming it gets a pass because it's open world.

    I argue it's ratings are borne from it being a good game.


  7. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,652

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    I didn't say you said it wasn't a good game.

    You were claiming it gets a pass because it's open world.

    I argue it's ratings are borne from it being a good game.

    You clearly do not understand what I said


    "Not at all. You said why did MGS5 get good reviews? You said because it's open world.

    I answered because it's a good game."


    You misquoted me here. Stop. Pay attention. A 10/10 review implies a perfect game. MGS5 has clear and visible flaws (Incomplete story for ****sakes)... It is not a 10/10 game. You saying it got good reviews because it is a good game has minimal relevance to my original comment. I know it is a great game. Open world games all too often get overrated due to the nature of the genre. Hence you get this game with clear flaws getting 10/10 from some of the biggest game media outlets...

  8. #23
    Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,189

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    You clearly do not understand what I said


    "Not at all. You said why did MGS5 get good reviews? You said because it's open world.

    I answered because it's a good game."


    You misquoted me here. Stop. Pay attention. A 10/10 review implies a perfect game. MGS5 has clear and visible flaws (Incomplete story for ****sakes)... It is not a 10/10 game. You saying it got good reviews because it is a good game has minimal relevance to my original comment. I know it is a great game. Open world games all too often get overrated due to the nature of the genre. Hence you get this game with clear flaws getting 10/10 from some of the biggest game media outlets...
    Okay I'm sorry I misrepresented you by not saying you said it wasn't a perfect game. My mistake. I did further clarify in my next post but I digress...

    You have two problems. The first is stating that my initial post had little relevance when in fact my point still stands that the outstanding reviews given to that game and others that reach it are based on their mechanics and not the fact they are open world. I would even argue that in most those games the open worldness of it is it's draw, and not a hastily slapped on thing. When it is poorly done, or done half way they suffer.

    Second, assuming that the open world aspect is what made it get inflated scores when the inflation of review scores from large media outlets is a persistent, and constant problem that can be found in all genres. I think it comes from the insistence on using a number scale rather than just talk about the content and then maybe whether or not you'd recommend it.

    But to get back on track I'm curious as to what makes you think open world games get inflated scores, and why you think that happens.

  9. #24
    Verticle? plowking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    We goin' Sizzler
    Posts
    28,031

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    It's the Bethesda formula. Create a character, loot the shit out of everything, explore the giant open world, make your own choices, etc. But these games are janky and have lots of glitches and don't control particularly well, and the graphics aren't great.

    Personally, I'm not a huge fan. I kind of liked Fallout 3 though. Being an evil bastard was fun as shit in that game. Making deals with slave traders, letting the ghouls overrun that hotel, and blowing up an entire ****ing town in exchange for cash. The main quest was boring as shit though. Water purity project? Um, I just got done enslaving somebody. Helping my dad with some dumb project doesn't seem like something my character would be interested in.

    Skyrim is an absolute snooze fest. Literally one of the most boring games I've ever played in my life. Combat is shit, story is shit, and the game in general is a monotonous slog. Characters are basically cardboard cutouts who are only there to send you to generic cave #43 to retrieve some random item. **** that game. I'll never understand how it received such high praise.
    Freedom of choice is cool and what not, but like you said. I can't really stand games that are a grind, lack somewhat purpose or more so direct intent, and have clunky as controls. Not for me.
    I guess I understand the appeal. Creating this character, sticking with it a long time, and building upon something, but I just don't have the time for it anymore. I got MGS V, and I am struggling to find the time to play it... Which sucks. Shorter games with great linear stories is what draws me in now. Something that is easy to remember if I haven't played in forever, and that keeps me engaged for a good hour.

    I can't play games like Fallout, where you spend an hour getting somewhere to do a mission, get caught up in side missions, chase a few different collectibles and end up not even doing a mission in that hour.

  10. #25
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jailblazers7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    20,766

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Yeah, I think the way you travel across the map is really important for an open world game. I enjoyed Fallout 3 a bit but taking forever to run somewhere and having to kill like 5 weird ass animals on the way got pretty annoying. That alone tempers my excitement for playing a new game.

  11. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    5,652

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Freedom of choice is cool and what not, but like you said. I can't really stand games that are a grind, lack somewhat purpose or more so direct intent, and have clunky as controls. Not for me.
    I guess I understand the appeal. Creating this character, sticking with it a long time, and building upon something, but I just don't have the time for it anymore. I got MGS V, and I am struggling to find the time to play it... Which sucks. Shorter games with great linear stories is what draws me in now. Something that is easy to remember if I haven't played in forever, and that keeps me engaged for a good hour.

    I can't play games like Fallout, where you spend an hour getting somewhere to do a mission, get caught up in side missions, chase a few different collectibles and end up not even doing a mission in that hour.
    You said it perfectly

    I personally can only play a open world game for so long until the novelty of it all wears off

    I went back to play oblivion earlier this year... I really only did it for the main quests.... In every open world game as soon as I have finished the main quests I stop playing them... I had enough of grinding games back in 2006 when I picked 20k flax on runescape for a measly 2 mil.

    I find a RPG like Kotor or Mass Effect for me has the right amount of freedom and direction and linear-ness to it...

  12. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13,099

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    You clearly do not understand what I said


    "Not at all. You said why did MGS5 get good reviews? You said because it's open world.

    I answered because it's a good game."


    You misquoted me here. Stop. Pay attention. A 10/10 review implies a perfect game. MGS5 has clear and visible flaws (Incomplete story for ****sakes)... It is not a 10/10 game. You saying it got good reviews because it is a good game has minimal relevance to my original comment. I know it is a great game. Open world games all too often get overrated due to the nature of the genre. Hence you get this game with clear flaws getting 10/10 from some of the biggest game media outlets...
    shit man can't believing im agreeing with you.

    but this man is speaking truth. open world games are overrated as fvck. mgs v does not deserve a 10/10, it's no where near perfect.

  13. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13,099

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    The Witcher 3 is a game that has both good story, fun quests, and a great open-world.

    I really have to play more of that. I'm still at the very start, but I've had a lot of fun of what I have played.

  14. #29
    NBA Legend pauk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,835

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    I just "bought" it on PC, loving it so far & looks amazing on ultra settings.

  15. #30
    NBA All-star DukeDelonte13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    9,096

    Default Re: Fallout 4

    Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    So why is it games like this with a rep get a pass for gamebreaking bugs, while others get scored down?

    I've never understood the appeal of Fallout. I played 3, and found it clunky and quite sluggish. I know there is a lot to do but I don't particularly think that and a whole bunch of customisations for weapons deserves as high praise as it gets.

    i played new vegas. It was good but nothing spectacular. I thought skyrim was better, at least it was easier to manage and pick up an play. At a point these games just become inventory management simulators.

    Just becomes a chore to go back to your house unload stuff, decide what you want to sell or store, then go out and do some stuff, rinse, repeat, loading screens, etc. I'll wait until it gets really cheap. The bugs are irritating especially when they break quests or the game crashes. Then it's another 10 minutes of loading screens restarting the b*tch.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •