Good college starter Walk on Water's Avatar

Default Why are gyms always about trying to milk your pocket books?

Hard to find an ethical gym. Even 24 hour was charging people during lockdowns and closed off customer support. They are always sneaky and trying to get you.

I’m not sure why most gyms have so many outdated equipment which costs tens of thousands of dollars. For instance one tricep extension machine can cost tens of thousands. Pretty radical. They often don’t have enough of the right stuff and have too many isolation machines. Same thing with cardio equipment. Too many of the cookie cutter machines.

Gyms have too many problems and many don’t maintain their stuff and keep it clean. Yet they struggle to stay in business.

Default Re: Why are gyms always about trying to milk your pocket books?

Try truck rest stops you should get an ethical workout there op

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Walk on Water View Post
    Hard to find an ethical gym. Even 24 hour was charging people during lockdowns and closed off customer support. They are always sneaky and trying to get you.

I’m not sure why most gyms have so many outdated equipment which costs tens of thousands of dollars. For instance one tricep extension machine can cost tens of thousands. Pretty radical. They often don’t have enough of the right stuff and have too many isolation machines. Same thing with cardio equipment. Too many of the cookie cutter machines.

Gyms have too many problems and many don’t maintain their stuff and keep it clean. Yet they struggle to stay in business.
    Name a business that DOESN'T try to "milk your pocket books"

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY View Post
    Name a business that DOESN'T try to "milk your pocket books"
    LOL. I came in literally to make this exact same comment.

it's what I said about Golf.

Holy, don't tell me you went to a gym not to do some workouts but just to see for yourself and bash it.

Good gym equipment is not cheap... if you frequent the gym daily for both cardio and bulking, it's better to just go to the gym vs home gym.

My makeshift gym prob cost me around 2k. A single life fitness machine at the gym probably costs more than that.

And IMO, money spent on health like the gym is money well spent. Most good insurances with quality plans will have some sort of benefit towards gyms.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

The courts outside and tons pushups, leg lifts and running for miles are usually free. Got rid of my 24 hour fitness and I miss being able to hoop at 2-4am when my mind goes crazy but now I just ride my bike at night for mileage

If you look hard enough there will be a gym for you. the better amenities the higher the costs. they really are all justified. Owning a gym is not cheap. I would say they "milk your pockets". I would definitely say they ARE money hungry and have unethical practices like hidden fees and unbreakable contracts. All things you can work around if you know how to navigate those issues.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Good gym equipment is not cheap... if you frequent the gym daily for both cardio and bulking, it's better to just go to the gym vs home gym.

My makeshift gym prob cost me around 2k. A single life fitness machine at the gym probably costs more than that.

And IMO, money spent on health like the gym is money well spent. Most good insurances with quality plans will have some sort of benefit towards gyms.
    The Olympic plates price is also on the bubble. Spent 4 years of membership cost for basically the set and a cage and the lat. I prefer compound in the gym but this virus does not gimme a choice, it might linger for awhile with gyms going back and forth on opening and reclosing. The gym membership is relatively cheaper than building a sufficient makeshift gym at home.

Just stick to free weights. All that other "equipment" is for chicks or for when you have an injury that forces you to use a machine instead of free weights.

I would imagine that a bare bones gym dedicated to real lifters would be the way to go. No BS treadmills and elliptical machines.