Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Hey Libs, explain to me your argument that there's voter suppression

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Voter suppression is a very broad term. Obvious voting suppression tactics like under Jim crow laws were made illegal decades ago.

So yes, we are past Jim crow days, but I would say doing something like limiting the number of mail-in-ballots boxes and limiting number of voting sites would be considered voter suppression tactics. Certain voter id laws in certain states can be problematic tbh.

If you are going to have voter id, make it easier to get an id. You should be able to get an id at say certain stores like Walmart or target. Make it more accessible than just limiting it to only the dmv. Also, some states (like Texas and recently Georgia) have often tried tactics to severely limit things like early voting, number of polling sites, limit number of voting booths in each location and keeping polling sites far away (and not opening more voting sites). These are all voter suppression tactics, some intentional others not intentional.
    It's not hard to get an ID. You have to get off your lazy ass and take a picture at several locations throughout any county across the country. Did you not watch that video I posted? Guy asks several Black people if they have ID and they all said yes. So voter suppression is fake. It's made up. It's not real.

Default Re: Hey Libs, explain to me your argument that there's voter suppression

you pretty much have to be homeless and living off the grid to not have ID... so, I don't see what the uproar is about.

it really is mind-boggling to me that the MLB would want to make a statement of protest by removing the All-Star game form ATL... makes no sense.

What in the f*ck is wrong with requiring an ID to vote?

How many legal residents are there in Georgia without ID? It can't be that many people.

I guess if you want illegals to vote and voter fraud to become easier to commit, I could understand why there would be outrage... but it's odd to see that outrage coming from Major League Baseball and other corporations.

essentially we are mad that the people who are too stupid to figure out how to get an ID, are unable to vote? Makes no sense.

Claiming state voting reforms are racist is ridiculous. I should know: Ken Blackwell

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/7113493002/

Claims that voter ID laws are racist are false. Most voters actually support voter ID requirements, and these reforms are helpful for safe elections.

Outrage from Democrats, corporations and Major League Baseball about voter identification requirements and Georgia's "Election Integrity Act of 2021" feels like leftovers reheated for the third time. Whenever Republicans propose commonsense voter ID measures to help safeguard our elections, liberals react by shouting that it is voter suppression and Jim Crow 2.0.

These claims are false, and they distract from the real issues of promoting election integrity and preventing fraud.

Arguing voter ID is a form of voter suppression is a smokescreen designed to muddle the debate. Instead of lecturing us with false arguments, Democrats should listen to Black and Latino voters who support ID requirements because they understand we need to take simple steps to protect the sanctity of the ballot box.

Instead of debating the merits of voter ID and election regulations, liberals label them — and anyone supporting them — as racist in attempts to shut down any debate. For example, Stacey Abrams calls Georgia's law "a redux of Jim Crow in a suit and tie."

This is ridiculous. Abrams herself praised New Jersey’s new voting procedures, where voters get up to 10 days to vote early. Under Georgia’s new law, they get 17 days.

The data doesn't matter, the views of African Americans and Latinos don't matter, the actual text of the new law doesn’t matter. The hyperbolic rhetoric ignores the truth.

Liberals are now pushing a federal elections bill, H.R. 1, which they claim will eliminate “racist” state laws. This legislation sabotages state voter ID requirements by forcing states to allow anyone to vote, with or without an ID, if they sign an unverifiable statement attesting to their eligibility. Plainly stated the bill would eliminate voter ID in 35 states. What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    Still waiting for a Liberal to explain.
    They aren't capable of explaining anything. They just wait for MSNBC/CNN to give them their next talking point.

2020 Insidehoops MVP Stanley Kobrick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    I encountered many men like OP in Germany. A pathological desire to be on “the winning side”, if you will, and an immense sense of insecurity due to a small phallus led them to align with fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    It's not hard to get an ID. You have to get off your lazy ass and take a picture at several locations throughout any county across the country. Did you not watch that video I posted? Guy asks several Black people if they have ID and they all said yes. So voter suppression is fake. It's made up. It's not real.
    Did you not read the rest of my post? Or did you intentionally cherry-pick the id portion?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

you pretty much have to be homeless and living off the grid to not have ID... so, I don't see what the uproar is about.

No. Just old and poor. My grandma didn’t have non expired Id for a very long time. Once she stopped driving in the 90s she never had valid Id again till a church group dealt with it later in life.

Bet anything the largest block of people without valid id is older poor people.

Both sides know who votes for them and both sides would rig it to help themselves if they could. Every old black person who has an extra hurdle to vote is a W in a state won by the slimmest of margins. It took a lot to get them to not scrap Sunday voting as originally planned which would serve no purpose but to eliminate souls to the polls events which bus black church members to vote on sundays when they are all together.

No matter if it’s shit like this or the purge of like 107 thousand eligible voters by Georgia by the very guy running in the election(who barely beat Abrams and sparked her crazy run of registrations that turned the state blue)....or them tossing thousands of off signatures for shit like missing hyphens in carefully selected districts....the goal is clear.

And it’s not as simple as racism. It’s just....get rid of the wrong voters. I’m sure they would cull white Democrats if they could. Politicians don’t care how they win. They will draw districts to get as many blacks voting in one....to ensure they win the other 4. That’s the game. Poll purging is the game. Generally reducing the number of voters will always help republicans because the democratic secret weapon is young people and minorities who will never vote at the rate of the Republican strength....old white people.

Old white people tend to vote red and vote consistently. Young black people vote blue and when motivated and easy. Longer lines due to less places....more won’t vote. Those old white people are voting. Period. They dubbed the registration purge “use it or lose it” in Georgia last time and knocked tens of thousands of only occasionally voting people off the list knowing the democrat base votes less consistently than theirs for cover.

Anyone with half a brain knows these conversations happen behind closed doors. The least racist person on earth would acknowledge that black turnout in Georgia keeps the state in play and reducing it helps republicans win.

When your side is a lock to vote and the other side needs it made easier because they don’t care that much....make it harder. Especially on the group most likely to not have the means to address it. Old black people vote....old black people often don’t have valid id. Do most? Sure.

But you run a poll of 70 year old white guys in Atlanta with ID vs older blacks....we both know how it goes. I’m not 100% sure my mom has valid I’d. She doesn’t drink or go anywhere....or drive for 15 years. If she doesn’t I can remedy that but I guarantee that age group is hardest hit. And fewer old whites would be without the means to address it than old blacks by percentage I’m sure. Combo of more intact families and more general wealth.

I’m sure a massive effort will be made to get ID for the old black people without it so maybe it won’t matter....but bet your ass an office full of Democrats somewhere knows they need to address it. Anything to reduce turnout helps republicans because their base won’t be the ones not turning out. Middle aged black women turnout too but don’t have the numbers to compete with old whites without the wishy washy young people.

Every Republican with sense wants less total voters. Republicans win with apathy. Democrats win when America cares. The right doesnt have the numbers to win in this era when everyone shows up. Their power lies in the potential for minority rule via the senate and electoral college not general support. Keeping the numbers down helps them country wide.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    Did you not read the rest of my post? Or did you intentionally cherry-pick the id portion?
    You started with the excuse that it was hard to get ID and I stopped reading right there. I can only read so much nonsense in one day.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    No. Just old and poor. My grandma didn’t have non expired Id for a very long time. Once she stopped driving in the 90s she never had valid Id again till a church group dealt with it later in life.

Bet anything the largest block of people without valid id is older poor people.

Both sides know who votes for them and both sides would rig it to help themselves if they could. Every old black person who has an extra hurdle to vote is a W in a state won by the slimmest of margins. It took a lot to get them to not scrap Sunday voting as originally planned which would serve no purpose but to eliminate souls to the polls events which bus black church members to vote on sundays when they are all together.

No matter if it’s shit like this or the purge of like 107 thousand eligible voters by Georgia by the very guy running in the election(who barely beat Abrams and sparked her crazy run of registrations that turned the state blue)....or them tossing thousands of off signatures for shit like missing hyphens in carefully selected districts....the goal is clear.

And it’s not as simple as racism. It’s just....get rid of the wrong voters. I’m sure they would cull white Democrats if they could. Politicians don’t care how they win. They will draw districts to get as many blacks voting in one....to ensure they win the other 4. That’s the game. Poll purging is the game. Generally reducing the number of voters will always help republicans because the democratic secret weapon is young people and minorities who will never vote at the rate of the Republican strength....old white people.

Old white people tend to vote red and vote consistently. Young black people vote blue and when motivated and easy. Longer lines due to less places....more won’t vote. Those old white people are voting. Period. They dubbed the registration purge “use it or lose it” in Georgia last time and knocked tens of thousands of only occasionally voting people off the list knowing the democrat base votes less consistently than theirs for cover.

Anyone with half a brain knows these conversations happen behind closed doors. The least racist person on earth would acknowledge that black turnout in Georgia keeps the state in play and reducing it helps republicans win.

When your side is a lock to vote and the other side needs it made easier because they don’t care that much....make it harder. Especially on the group most likely to not have the means to address it. Old black people vote....old black people often don’t have valid id. Do most? Sure.

But you run a poll of 70 year old white guys in Atlanta with ID vs older blacks....we both know how it goes. I’m not 100% sure my mom has valid I’d. She doesn’t drink or go anywhere....or drive for 15 years. If she doesn’t I can remedy that but I guarantee that age group is hardest hit. And fewer old whites would be without the means to address it than old blacks by percentage I’m sure. Combo of more intact families and more general wealth.

I’m sure a massive effort will be made to get ID for the old black people without it so maybe it won’t matter....but bet your ass an office full of Democrats somewhere knows they need to address it. Anything to reduce turnout helps republicans because their base won’t be the ones not turning out. Middle aged black women turnout too but don’t have the numbers to compete with old whites without the wishy washy young people.

Every Republican with sense wants less total voters. Republicans win with apathy. Democrats win when America cares. The right doesnt have the numbers to win in this era when everyone shows up. Their power lies in the potential for minority rule via the senate and electoral college not general support. Keeping the numbers down helps them country wide.
    what a great explanation

how ppl wanna make voting a difficult thing like rocket science is beyond my imagination.

one person, one id, one day, one place, one vote.

how hard can this be?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobopenguin View Post
    how ppl wanna make voting a difficult thing like rocket science is beyond my imagination.

one person, one id, one day, one place, one vote.

how hard can this be?
    Kblazes grandma doesn’t know how to get an ID though.

So we should just use the honor system instead.

My grandma was born in 1921. She barely left home for anything but holidays and church the last 20+ years of her life. What do you imagine she needed IDfor? The liquor store? She didn’t travel. Didn’t cash checks. Had the same bank forever. That’s the kinda person who often has a serious take on voting because they remember the fight for the right....and who would have valid Id at a much lower rate than most.

Obviously professional politicians would know such a thing. People pass the voting laws most likely to get them elected. Both parties. Republicans want less people to vote in general because the people least willing and capable to jump through hoops are the democratic base and democrats want more voters because they need the apathetic to turn out.

It isn’t as simple as race it’s about power but when republican voter suppression(an obvious and effective tactic when turnout is your enemy) is more likely to work on the poor it’s gonna be seen as racist. I don’t think it’s as simple as race or color or whatever....republicans would do the same to old white people if that’s who they had to slow down.

In any off the record meeting everyone in power would know a key to victory is keeping poor minority votes from happening. You just can’t say it in public with the media lurking to make it look like your motivation is racial instead of just being the means to an end.

If republicans could press a button and remove the black vote in georgia they would....just like democrats would remove the old white vote. Everyone knows it’s true but nobody can say it. We just hear lies about a fantasy world where nobody does anything because of race.

Democrats target blacks with stories of racist white republicans and republicans absolutely want to limit turnout among blacks but can’t say so because it sounds racist.

Both sides use race but only one can even sorta admit it through a veil of trying to help. Republicans know they need to disenfranchise poor blacks but obviously can’t acknowledge it even when the motivation is victory not racism.

The whole thing is a joke. Democrats manipulate....republicans disenfranchise....nobody can admit it....even though neither side does it for outright racist reasons.

Its just about winning elections.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Kblazes grandma doesn’t know how to get an ID though.

So we should just use the honor system instead.
    I used to drive my grandma to her doctor visits cause I was a good grandson. KBlaze too busy hustlin' on the streetz to take his Nana to get an ID. Horrible grandson. I will take your grandma to the DMV for you.

My grandma wanted danish butter cookies and a sweet potato pie with less sugar cooked just for her not an ID. What was she gonna do with ID at 95? She didn’t have much of any modern paperwork. She did however have her marriage paperwork from 1950. I still have it actually. Also her original deed and insurance information.

ID? Largely useless at a certain age when you don’t go anywhere. And minus the sentimental value of things like old photos and wedding stuff barely kept up with.

Both parties know who is most inconvenienced by these laws. They would be idiots not to. No party passes laws to lose. Whittle away at poor minority types...remove local poling places to make having a car even more important...they know who it slows.

Its common sense. But they aren’t allowed to say it even if it’s true that they don’t do it out of outright racism.

Im not sure it will matter though. The number of people who will be sent to find and help the elderly poor get ID will be crazy. I’m sure they are already gearing up for 2022. Abrams left no stone unturned last time. She personally appeared in a Gucci vs Jeezy Instagram versus battle looking for young voters. She’s probably got 800 people knocking on old and poor peoples doors already.

Decent college freshman

When Republicans lose elections (even though they cheated) they feel the need to restrict minorities from voting.

More people should have access to voting, not less. Republicans have their priorities completely upside down.

Tiptoeing through the tulips. If people care enough to vote, they will get an ID. If they dont care enough, they wont. That's not suppression. That's a personal decision.