Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: If the UAE created a NBA-like league but had no draft restrictions...

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Why would UAE pay Scoot before they have to? What they should do is recruit guys like Scoot AFTER they get drafted but BEFORE he signed a contract. Wembanyama is only paid $12M his first year. If UAE is willing to pay him $30M annually, is he really turning that down? Pay the top 5-10 draft pick every year. The NBA will soon be forced to raise salaries to unsustainable amount.
    He probably would turn it down. If he’s the player he’s supposed to be he’s gonna sign for 300 million in 3 years and another 400+ when he’s in his late 20s. He could reach $1 billion in career earnings in the NBA if he becomes what he supposed to become. Leaving for the short in Money would be smart if he doesn’t believe in himself, I suppose.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: If the UAE created a NBA-like league but had no draft restrictions...

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    your best comparison made the list and he didn't for some strange reason
    nothing strange about it. I’ve been on here explaining that the people we call overpaid now aren’t historically over paid people just have no idea how much of the Previous generations highest paid players took up. I have specifically referenced Mutombo I’m pretty sure. Let me look into that….

*insert Jeopardy theme music*

Ok.

This is me 4 years ago

You know what a guy like John Walls makes relative to the cap in 2021(his first year over 40 million)?

A lot less than Clyde Drexler made on the Rockets.

Clydes pay in 1996 relative to a modern cap? About 49 million dollars.

Patrick Ewing? 86 million. Only one player in the NBA made half as much. Maybe we need to quit wondering why his teams never got another star in the 90s...

Horace Grant made the 2021 cap hit equal of 70 million dollars in 1997(he was the second highest paid player in the league).

To make it a bit more modern....Kobe in 2014 made the cap hit equal of 53 million dollars in 2021.

Dikembe Mutombo in his last few good years? The equal of 50 million. He was over 44% of the salary cap.
    This is also me responding to someone saying Rudy makes 40 million and never developed as a scorer:

I don’t know what he was scoring when they signed him to that contract but whatever it was, I doubt they expected him to develop into a scorer.

30-40 million is just what good players cost these days. If a really good player makes under 30 million it’s because he signed the deal before he broke out.

whatever he is or isn’t his contract has never really been an issue to me. I stopped caring about the eye-popping number on all these contracts years ago.

In fact this is me the day that deal was announced

In all seriousness I like Rudy if only because I generally favor defense and doing the little things and considering how many people are max players these days he absolutely is one....

But he’s still the other guy in a good band.
    I never had much to say about anyone’s contract once I realized how little it really matters with these giant and ever rising salary cap numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    do you not agree with what he said or do you just not care? College kids have obviously been the workforce of a billion dollar entity for years under the guise of being student athletes in an amateur system they were expected to be the only amateurs in.

People get in trouble for buying a college student a hamburger while making tens of millions of dollars off those students. At what point is it just…wrong?

A “free” education has always been a joke compared to the return the higher end guys provide.

You can go run 300 times and help generate millions in ticket sales and billions in television contracts and tear up your knee and have your scholarship revoked if you don’t come back the same. A lot of the people under the old system have a right to be annoyed.

Ive been saying this for years, and it’s exactly why I dropped out of college after one semester. I had no intention of becoming a doctor or a lawyer, and so it made no sense to me why a degree should be important. Despite everyone around me including parents, peers, high school teachers etc etc insisting college is a no brainer, so important, everyone should go, I analyzed the system for myself and decided it made no sense for ME to be paying some SCHOOL to saddle me with busy work and have some teachers assistant hack assign me a grade so they justify charging thousands of dollars.

The system has been a racket and a ponzi scheme for years, and I dont have much sympathy for anyone who went thru it and then said after the fact “hey wait a minute, im not satisfied with the outcome!”

If you cant see the moves until after theyre made youre bound to get screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Ive been saying this for years, and it’s exactly why I dropped out of college after one semester. I had no intention of becoming a doctor or a lawyer, and so it made no sense to me why a degree should be important. Despite everyone around me including parents, peers, high school teachers etc etc insisting college is a no brainer, so important, everyone should go, I analyzed the system for myself and decided it made no sense for ME to be paying some SCHOOL to saddle me with busy work and have some teachers assistant hack assign me a grade so they justify charging thousands of dollars.

The system has been a racket and a ponzi scheme for years, and I dont have much sympathy for anyone who went thru it and then said after the fact “hey wait a minute, im not satisfied with the outcome!”

If you cant see the moves until after theyre made youre bound to get screwed.
    I take it this is before you took your talents to Hollywood. Is this all covered in that book you wrote?

He probably would turn it down. If he’s the player he’s supposed to be he’s gonna sign for 300 million in 3 years and another 400+ when he’s in his late 20s. He could reach $1 billion in career earnings in the NBA if he becomes what he supposed to become. Leaving for the short in Money would be smart if he doesn’t believe in himself, I suppose.
    Well UAE could pay that too. $12M will be $6M after tax. $300M will be like $130M after tax.

You offer them $30M vs $6M...come on now. This is not a game NBA likely to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    I take it this is before you took your talents to Hollywood. Is this all covered in that book you wrote?
    Only one way to find out ;)

Only one way to find out ;)
    If I remember correctly, the book was titled something hilarious like From Rags to Riches Back to Rags

Well UAE could pay that too. $12M will be $6M after tax. $300M will be like $130M after tax.

You offer them $30M vs $6M...come on now. This is not a game NBA likely to win.

Americans have to pay taxes in both countries tho, unless they renounce their citizenship. I believe the US is the only country in the world that taxes foreign income.

Im not sure if money made abroad is subject to a different set of tax brackets, but assuming it’s not, by the time you pay off both country’s taxes youre probably taking home like 20% of what you made.

Altho that brings up an interesting point.

If a player is getting paid by the same institution he’s directly taxed by (ie a saudi sovereign wealth fund etc)… from the employer’s perspective theyre not paying the full salary, because some of it comes right back.

Like if the government pays Ronaldo 300 million but collects 100 million back in taxes… then theyre only spending 200 million to bring in Ronaldo.

NBA teams - who undoubtedly take advantage of every tax loophole and write off imaginable - technically arent in that position. If they sign a guy for 300 million, it’s costing them 300 million. And then they have to find creative ways to mitigate it thru filing taxes with the government. But it’s not as much of a direct guarantee it would seem.

Americans have to pay taxes in both countries tho, unless they renounce their citizenship. I believe the US is the only country in the world that taxes foreign income.

Im not sure if money made abroad is subject to a different set of tax brackets, but assuming it’s not, by the time you pay off both country’s taxes youre probably taking home like 20% of what you made.
    UAE has no income tax. Playing in the NBA, you have to pay significant additional state taxes. Also, many of them are not American.

UAE has no income tax. Playing in the NBA, you have to pay significant additional state taxes. Also, many of them are not American.
    Damn, didnt know that.

Banned

I expect a lot of players would choose the better deal now over the prospect of greater potential gains down the road. You never know what could happen in three years, so some would take the risk, and some would go for the sure thing.

Banned

Damn, didnt know that.
    Oil money.

NBA players are overpaid as is. Why would they need to scoot over to the UAE?

Shocked me that soccer players did tbh.