Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Is Embiid allowed to win back to back MVP's without a conference finals appearance?

I remember the narrative Perkins and a lot of media folk used last year was that Jokic shouldnt win three MVP's in a row without having won a championship.

I was personally fine with Embiid as MVP last year regardless, because it is a regular season award and he's been a monster there. But that specific justification about "no three in a row, bc he didnt win teh ring" was obviously single digit IQ stuff.

So I'm wondering if Embiid has any chance at repeating as MVP this year, since he hasnt even made a CONFERENCE finals, and has been decidedly worse in the playoffs overall than Jokic had been before last year. Will the same media members uphold their convoluted logic for Joel?

Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: Is Embiid allowed to win back to back MVP's without a conference finals appearanc

Embiid should be the back to back MVP right now. I don't think his playoff failures have made the type of stink around the country as it probably should have. If he gets bounced early again while playing average or below, he won't get another one unless it's some goat stuff where the difference between first and second cannot be ignored

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Default Re: Is Embiid allowed to win back to back MVP's without a conference finals appearanc

Well the thing about Embiid is his VORP won't be good enough to win MVP anyway Beacuase his back up, Bball Paul, is the best backup center in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post
    Well the thing about Embiid is his VORP won't be good enough to win MVP anyway Beacuase his back up, Bball Paul, is the best backup center in the league.

I dont think too many voters use VORP or anything of the sort to be honest with you.

The people who determine the game's most valuable player are like, mark jackson and rachel nichols.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I dont think too many voters use VORP or anything of the sort to be honest with you.

The people who determine the game's most valuable player are like, mark jackson and rachel nichols.
    Well clearly they won't be voting this year but I concur the majority of voters shouldn't have a vote.

It's a regular season award.

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    It's a regular season award.
    Excuse me, did you read the post?

DID YOU READ THE ****ING POST???

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post

I'm sure Mark has God's help at least!

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I’ve often thought the specific round criticism was disingenuous. It’s just looking to match the hate to the coincidence. No hater ever stopped when a guy went an additional round and lost anyway. We heard about Chris Paul being a third round virgin for years and then not only did he make it he scored 40 something points to get them there. You know any Chris Paul haters who now think he’s a winner? Of course not.

None of this shit really matters. You have won or you have not. Everyone without a title is going to be called a loser, and if the world decides you’re good enough people will still call you a loser with several titles. what you win doesn’t really silence the people who set out to downplay you. They just find a reason not to give you credit for it.

You can’t win your way out of hate because haters only care what you won while you’re losing. Once you win winning doesn’t prove anything.

People decide where they stand and they stand there for 50 years regardless of the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I’ve often thought the specific round criticism was disingenuous. It’s just looking to match the hate to the coincidence. No hater ever stopped when a guy went an additional round and lost anyway. We heard about Chris Paul being a third round virgin for years and then not only did he make it he scored 40 something points to get them there. You know any Chris Paul haters who now think he’s a winner? Of course not.

None of this shit really matters. You have won or you have not. Everyone without a title is going to be called a loser, and if the world decides you’re good enough people will still call you a loser with several titles. what you win doesn’t really silence the people who set out to downplay you. They just find a reason not to give you credit for it.

You can’t win your way out of hate because haters only care what you won while you’re losing. Once you win winning doesn’t prove anything.

People decide where they stand and they stand there for 50 years regardless of the facts.

Exactly.

People said the King couldnt win a ring, but then he did it. They said he didnt have the mental toughness to go back to back, but he did it.

Then they said “thats just cuz Miami, he didnt keep his promise to win one for the Land.”

But then he did it.

After that they said he went to LA to make movies and run away from the challenge of basketball.

But then he won a ring in Kobe’s memory.

What will they say next?

What do they think he cant do?

Because I cant wait to see him do it

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

You also have to factor in Perkins is kinda a race baiting low quality analyst. Playoffs matters more if you never had playoff success but that's rare.

Dead ass... has there ever been an MVP to not make the conference Finals in their career? I don't think it's ever happened. I hope he does one day but right now it's a historic feat.

Even Westbrook and rose made conference finals....

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Mcadoo never did as a starter but he was lighting people up off the bench for the Lakers at the end of his career. Embiid is the only one without making it that far in any way. But he likely will at some point. Not that anyone will care if he loses.

National High School Star

No...maybe if the Sixers are the one seed...but look Durant has 1 MVP, Butler, Tatum, Doncic are all deserving of the award and have never received it.

Jokic won B2B with only 1 bubble WCF appearance so it's not that big of a deal tbh.

MVP is a regular season award. We need to start treating it like one and not put it on a pedestal.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Jokic won B2B with only 1 bubble WCF appearance so it's not that big of a deal tbh.

MVP is a regular season award. We need to start treating it like one and not put it on a pedestal.
    It's supposed to be a regular season award but it's also a legacy award