Default Doesn't Jokic dispel the notion that post-play is obsolete?

He dominates with it.

Default Re: Doesn't Jokic dispel the notion that post-play is obsolete?

It was never obsolete.

It depends on who's taking the shots.

Local High School Star

Jokic has brought the post back in part because of his shooting prowess. Few big men can shoot with the precision he does, with the strange off balance falling back angles.

His 280 lbs allows him to create space.

In the end, he's freakishly big and freakishly good touch for a big man. Hard to replicate.

I haven't watched Embiid play a lot of games- how does he score?

I think it's being used more often compared to recent years, and by a wider range of players. You also really notice it when a player doesn't have post game+footwork, because the defense has a much easier job cutting off their on-ball scoring opportunities.

I've been watching a lot of OKC, and they are making good use of post mismatches AND mid range jumpers. These skills will always be valuable, even if they aren't featured as prominently.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el View Post
    I think it's being used more often compared to recent years, and by a wider range of players. You also really notice it when a player doesn't have post game+footwork, because the defense has a much easier job cutting off their on-ball scoring opportunities.

I've been watching a lot of OKC, and they are making good use of post mismatches AND mid range jumpers. These skills will always be valuable, even if they aren't featured as prominently.
    This is an accurate take. Because teams are switching ball screens more than ever, there are more post-up mismatches. This article from last season covered it.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-back-to-life/

Centers switching on ball screens has gone way up:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-back-to-life/

Post-ups are now becoming dynamic. The percentage of post-ups that have featured a positional mismatch — with a center defended by a guard or forward (or a forward defended by a guard) — has increased from approximately one-quarter in 2013-14 to just over half this season, per Second Spectrum. Those mismatches have to come from somewhere, and such advantages can be created by other events on the court — like pick and rolls or handoffs — before being converted into points via the post.

The dropping frequency of the post-up has coincided with the rise of the hand-off. Similar to picks, approximately a quarter of hand-offs result in switches this season, creating a potentially advantageous mismatch. (Less than 10 percent of hand-offs were switched by the defense in 2013-14.) And as leaguewide frequency for post-ups has plummeted by almost 6 plays per 100 possessions from 2013-14 to today, hand-off frequency has increased by almost 8 plays per 100 possessions. But a post-up can flow out of a hand-off, especially after the defense is forced to switch or rotate or open up some other weakness.

^Great find, hits the nail on the head

Post play wasn't obsolete but your center nowadays needs to be a threat in other areas of the floor + ideally having shooters to be truly elite. Jokic just in terms of what he does 5-10 ft from the basket isn't what makes him all-time, it's that in combination with being able to shoot out to 3point land, run the break and be one of the greatest passer ever. Whatever you think you can take from him on one particular play is neutralized by having several other ways to beat you.