Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default You have to give one MVP and one DPOY to two players who never won them.

Who do you give each award and for what season?

To be clear, anyone who never won an MVP is eligible and anyone who never won defensive player of the year is eligible.

I feel like I could probably find Wade or Jerry West an MVP season. Hard to pick a year though. Difficult to justify taking one of LeBron‘s Cleveland MVPs. I might give Duncan one of Ben Wallace defensive awards but I’m not sure which.

I might also give Pippen Gary Payton’s spot. I can’t in good conscience take one from the 90s centers who pretty much all either deserved it or should have given it to another big. Hakeem and David Robinson could have like three each and nobody could argue. They were both better defenders than Mutombo a good bit of the time but they already won one each so can’t use them.

I feel like I can take Chandlers DPOY without much fuss but Lebron was second that year so I don’t have a clear replacement.

Who you going with?

Default Re: You have to give one MVP and one DPOY to two players who never won them.

There are two obvious examples to me

West over Unseld in '69

Duncan over Camby in '07

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: You have to give one MVP and one DPOY to two players who never won them.

Th Lakers are almost exactly like the 2011 heat. They were immediately proclaimed to be the best team of all time and then had the exact same record as the team wilt left. One reason I would say we could consider Billy Cunningham, but I don’t generally even say names like that because I know, nobody gives a shit about those people. They underachieved year one and didn’t pull it together till the very day Baylor retired a couple years later. Maybe give it to west in 72 even if Wilt may have been more key.

Dwight Howard in 2011. He was playing with some damn trash that season.

Tony Allen deserves a DPOY. I can't tell you exactly which year, but he deserved at least one

Pippen in 95 for DPOY. Not sure he warrants being over Hakeem, Mutumbo or Admiral, but I don't think it would be any worse than MJ getting it in 88 over Hakeem or Mark Eaton.

National High School Star

DPOY - John Stockton kinda strange the all-time steals leader never won the award
    MVP - Tiny Archibald guy averaged 34PPG and lost to Dave Cowens who might not have been the best player on his team

Ok first of all Lebron should have at least a baker’s dozen DPOY’s.

MVP who never won it could be Chris Paul 08

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    DPOY - John Stockton kinda strange the all-time steals leader never won the award
    MVP - Tiny Archibald guy averaged 34PPG and lost to Dave Cowens who might not have been the best player on his team
    We giving MVP's to guys on 36 win teams.

I'd give MVP to Mcgrady in 2003.

Scottie Pippen definitely should've won the DPOY award. His team had was number 2 in defensive rating, 5th in pts allowed, Pippen led the league in steals, and he led the league in defensive rating, and the Bulls had a better record that Mutombos Nuggets team.

For MVP? I'd go with Chris Paul in 2008 over Kobe Bryant. It really boiled down to one game and Paul laid an egg vs the Lakers and thus Kobe won the MVP.
    Last edited by 97 bulls; 12-03-2023 at 12:03 AM.

It's amazing to think that Kobe Bryant was really one game off from never having won an MVP award. Sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    There are two obvious examples to me

West over Unseld in '69

Duncan over Camby in '07
    Agree with Duncan, but no on Jerry West.

Wes Unseld led the Bullets to the best record in the league (57 wins to 55 for the Big 3 Lakers.) West only played 61 games compared to Wes 82. Bullets were dead last in the West the previous season.

That was also Bullets first winning season in their entire existence.

Also, interesting note. Wes was not voted an All-Star the next season even tho the still won 50 games and his numbers were slightly better than his MVP season.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    We giving MVP's to guys on 36 win teams.
    We award an MVP when a player leads the league in points and assists...because MVP isn't a team award. It's not his fault his team was dogshite. The Celtics bench that year was likely better than the guys Tiny was playing with that year.

Chris Paul's peak season (08?) Is more worthy of an MVP than Rose or Westbrook IMO, but I think that would be taking away Kobe's mvp. Haven't had my coffee, not going to look it up.

Duncan is my obvious DPoY