Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default So the new media deal is coming together. ESPN staying. Amazon close. NBC back

The ESPN part is settled but how much of a raise it is has not been released. Amazon wants something that I think will be the in season tournament. The big change is that NBC is offering 2.5 billion a year to push out Turner. Turner currently pays 1 billion a year and it’s unlikely they match.

my first thought is that we’re back….

My second was “Is someone gonna pay to take inside the nba? Amazon does shit like that”

but the third?

They are absolutely going to put games on Peacock and not broadcasting anywhere on TV just to grow the app like they did with the NFL playoff.

The shitty series, the magic Cavs series? That yearly one nobody really watches? It’s probably going to Peacock from here on out.

Sucks but the owners will take anyone’s money to run up the team values and the players union won’t argue with an extra 750 million or so(they get about half)of increased revenue over what tnt paid.

I gave in and watched the Chiefs dolphins peacock game which is all they needed to know they can get away with it so I acknowledge I’m part of the problem. But still.

Default Re: So the new media deal is coming together. ESPN staying. Amazon close. NBC back

So the athletic says Amazon is taking a big chunk. It’s been described as a significant number of regular season and playoff games going to Prime Video for at least 10 years but it’s looking like it’s gonna go to 2040.

So it’ll be ESPN and ABC with Amazon and NBC splitting the rest. Turner has the right to match but the parent company has been cutting money and shelving movies for tax breaks so I don’t see it. The streaming era begins. It’s gonna be all Peacock and Amazon after next year.

I guess it’s not that big a deal. I watch a lot of playoff games on Max already. It streams higher-quality than my TV for some reason.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: So the new media deal is coming together. ESPN staying. Amazon close. NBC back

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    So the athletic says Amazon is taking a big chunk. It’s been described as a significant number of regular season and playoff games going to Prime Video for at least 10 years but it’s looking like it’s gonna go to 2040.

So it’ll be ESPN and ABC with Amazon and NBC splitting the rest. Turner has the right to match but the parent company has been cutting money and shelving movies for tax breaks so I don’t see it. The streaming era begins. It’s gonna be all Peacock and Amazon after next year.

I guess it’s not that big a deal. I watch a lot of playoff games on Max already. It streams higher-quality than my TV for some reason.
    MAX upscales the feed to 4k and Dolby Vision. So you should be getting a slightly sharper picture from the upscaling (even though it's not true 4k) and better contrast via Dolby Vision or HDR depending on your devices.

I'm hoping that Amazon / Peacock figure out a way to provide true 4K HDR for games within the next couple years...it would make the games much more enjoyable to watch. NBC already is built out to do this as they do soccer and Notre Dame football in great quality so hopefully they carry that over.

Makes sense. I had someone watching with me to confirm I wasn’t losing my mind. It does look a little bit better streaming.

A lot of the old people who are the type to still sit down and watch a game start to finish are going to be alienated I bet. I guess the NBA is just deciding they don’t need old people anymore. Ratings obviously aren’t the priority now.

Amazon and Peacock just want subscribers. They don’t give a shit what you watch once you subscribe. I’m sure they’ll find a way to incorporate more ads anyway.

I know prime started with commercials, but I don’t remember if Peacock has them or not.

Makes sense. I had someone watching with me to confirm I wasn’t losing my mind. It does look a little bit better streaming.

A lot of the old people who are the type to still sit down and watch a game start to finish are going to be alienated I bet. I guess the NBA is just deciding they don’t need old people anymore. Ratings obviously aren’t the priority now.

Amazon and Peacock just want subscribers. They don’t give a shit what you watch once you subscribe. I’m sure they’ll find a way to incorporate more ads anyway.

I know prime started with commercials, but I don’t remember if Peacock has them or not.
    I'm sure they know the exact numbers and will continue to track. That is used to determine how much they are willing to spend.

I just hate it being spread across different apps. Unless if you have NBA season ticket or iptv subscription, you will be switching apps for different games

so, Amazon is Old Navy, ESPN is GAP, and NBC is Banana Republic. but if there is some type of quality control on analyst, then it's all the same.

this got legacy enterprises written all over it, kids with tiny weiners spending parents inheritance to try and boost up on some margin.

either way, it's like being treated as a VIP guest at a strip club into the backroom, only find out VIP means you're sharing one chick with other dudes at the same time.

to be fair, I'd accept the explanation that the work load has been split into 3 shifts.

The ESPN part is settled but how much of a raise it is has not been released. Amazon wants something that I think will be the in season tournament. The big change is that NBC is offering 2.5 billion a year to push out Turner. Turner currently pays 1 billion a year and it’s unlikely they match.

my first thought is that we’re back….

My second was “Is someone gonna pay to take inside the nba? Amazon does shit like that”

but the third?

They are absolutely going to put games on Peacock and not broadcasting anywhere on TV just to grow the app like they did with the NFL playoff.

The shitty series, the magic Cavs series? That yearly one nobody really watches? It’s probably going to Peacock from here on out.

Sucks but the owners will take anyone’s money to run up the team values and the players union won’t argue with an extra 750 million or so(they get about half)of increased revenue over what tnt paid.

I gave in and watched the Chiefs dolphins peacock game which is all they needed to know they can get away with it so I acknowledge I’m part of the problem. But still.
    If they want subscribers, they will not put Cleveland and Orlando they'd put a Warriors or Lakers game there. Guys people wanna see. A network like ESPN would get that game.

Also, what happens to NBA TV? I think they're in partnership with Turner.
    It's crazy to not have Turner and the NBA. I was actually gonna make a thread about the All-Star game needing to make a return to network TV. It's crazy it's on cable.

Ok so it’s gonna be about $76 billion up from 24 billion. They wanted to triple it and they did better than that. I can’t even imagine where the salary cap is going to be soon. The early projections show a max contract will be about $400 million at the start of it. Either SGA or Jokic will get 400 million summer after next. Jokic will have the ten years in to get the super super max.

Somewhere in the near future players are going to make 85 million a season.

Oh, and Amazon officially has the rights to both the in season tournament, which will be known as the NBA cup and the play in.

All play in Games for 10 years are gonna be on Amazon only.

A former cap “expert” GM was consulted in an article and apparently I’m off. We’re going to have $100 million player in 2032. Cap goes up about 5 million this summer then about 14 then 15 then 17 and so on. I’ve been thinking for years they will use expansion to spread the money across more players, but they probably need bigger rosters as well. Maybe allow 15 active players and a few two way? I feel like after this 10 year run, it might start creeping downward. The streaming platforms will be more established by then. Of course with inflation who knows but the real value of the next deal might drop. I read that Mark Cuban was thinking that was Possible.

There are too few people on an NBA team for revenue to go up to like 15 billion And not give somebody a five-year half billion deal.

I doubt it’s a long-term concern of most owners though. This deal makes the value of the teams rise. You’ll probably see a few of them cash out.

So turns out Warner was bluffing trying to keep the price down thinking NBC would never pay what they agreed to pay. Now silver is basically extorting them knowing they don’t want to lose it and gonna make them pay 300 million a year more than NBC is offering.

“NBC has made their bid, and they're not budging,’’ a media industry source said. “So it's over, right? And Warner Bros. is saying, ‘We'll match it,’ and (Commissioner Adam Silver) is probably saying: ‘It's not matched.’ ’’Sources say Adam Silver is trying to figure out a way to sever the relationship with TNT in a "gentle way."
    “There's no mystery to this," the source said. “It's pretty blatant what's happening. David Zaslav realizes he has to have this and doesn't want to pay more than $2.5B. And Adam's saying, honestly, it's not matched at $2.5. And [Zaslav] goes, ‘Yes, it is,’ and they're going back and forth.’ And so that's where we are. How do you let [WBD] down? Is there a way? Or does Zaslav come up with more money? Because then it doesn't have to be matching because David's paid more.
    “And that's where we are. Adam's trying to be nice to David right now until David backs off his dogs. He’s trying to help David save face.’’
    NBC’s package is expected to include Sunday Night games following the NFL season, while perhaps taking over ESPN’s Friday night slate and TNT’s second-round playoff and conference final package. Amazon would likely have one weekday night (Tuesday or Thursday) and Saturday nights, as well as the Play-in tournament, the In-Season Tournament, first-round playoff games and likely some international rights.
    ESPN will continue to be the exclusive home of The Finals.
    “ESPN did not want to alternate the finals, which I think Adam wanted to do,’’ a source said. “Adam wanted to make a package for NBC and alternate the finals with ESPN. ESPN fought it, fought, fought it, and finally said fine, ‘We'll pay the $2.6B, but no alternating the finals.’ And WB thought the league would never get that [$2.5] price from NBC. They said, ‘Sure, go shopping.’ They shopped it, they got the price. And now David Zaslav goes, ‘We’re screwed.

Crazy not seeing NBA on Turner.
    People talk about NBA on NBC nostalgia. That was only a 12 season relationship. Basically David Robinsons career.

RIP NBA on Turner Sports (1984-2025)
    Turner and NBA have been partners since the mid 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    People talk about NBA on NBC nostalgia. That was only a 12 season relationship. Basically David Robinsons career.

NBA on NBC was short but it was the pinnacle of combined growth and competition. If this comes to fruition I am ecstatic.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd View Post
    I'm sure they know the exact numbers and will continue to track. That is used to determine how much they are willing to spend.

I just hate it being spread across different apps. Unless if you have NBA season ticket or iptv subscription, you will be switching apps for different games
    I don't know about prices for US subscribers but from Europe an NBA League Pass was like USD70 for a year. With the benefit of being able to select multiple streams in HD and to watch all the games all season long it's a very affordable deal.

I honestly Don’t even know what I’m paying for league pass. I only access it through Amazon now and I’m sure its one of those random Amazon charges I get every month. But I have no idea which.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post

they can keep it they just overplay their hand. Silver told them somebody would pay what they were asking and they didn’t believe it. I don’t know how. I’ve been saying on here for years The people with streaming services are going to try to steal live sports by any means. They had to know that. They might’ve been thinking like the clueless fans who actually believed ratings were the deciding factor. I figured that shit out years ago and felt dumb for taking that long.