• Official recession but textbook minimum

2 11.76%
  • It will be bad and carry on for a year or more

5 29.41%
  • Equal or worse than Housing Crisis 08-12

7 41.18%
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Default How bad will the upcoming recession be?

80% of Americans think a recession will take place this year or early next year. How bad do you think it will get?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: How bad will the upcoming recession be?

This is serious shit. My business is taking a beating. Supplies are costing me more and I in turn have to charge more to the customer. Which probably means they'll hold on to their money a little tighter until things balance out again. But by that time, I may be out of business.

Strongly considering taking out a loan to pay for a more pressing loan. And that shit never works in the long run.

Upcoming?

It's already in full swing

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic View Post
    Come on man, how many times do I have to correct you?

I am not stating an opinion. I am stating a fact.

1) R / D... it doesn't matter. This is not a partisan issue. DC does not have any interest in balancing the budget. In fact, mathematically, they can't. The system would collapse on itself, which it is going to do anyways, the only unanswered question is when.

2) This massive, massive spending in response to COVID started under a "Republican" presidency in one Donald J Trump, as it would have under any other president. And the reason that it would happen under any president is because the population (people like you and me) are largely incredibly ignorant and stupid especially as it pertains to the issue of money / currency / devaluation etc. There was practically nobody in DC, in entertainment, on this board... calling for DC to stop their insanity spending back in April 2020 and for the following 12+ months. Virtually nobody. VIRTUALLY NOBODY.

It's not a partisan issue. It's not a democrat thing. It's not a republican thing. Stop this shit. You aren't helping anyone, least of all yourself.

Educate yourself. Quit the shit.

Who knows how bad it will get.. Recession is all but certain though. I think it will be next year.

It's kind of crazy that if you try to reel in inflation with interest rate hikes, it can bite you in the back, and the pendulum swings over to recession. Powell has said he doesn't want to push interest rate hikes too far. Once they reach a point where they can see inflation coming down, they will stop hiking interest rates. However, they still have to reel in the 9 trillion dollar balance sheet. That could push it over the edge. Feds have been overly leveraged for the past decade & half with their balance books (starting with Bush administration all the way through Trump administration), and now everyone has to suffer for it under Biden administration as it gets reeled in.

The party since the 2008 crisis is over, folks. At least for couple years.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    Upcoming?

It's already in full swing
    huh?

3.6% unemployment rate, lowest in years. For a recession there needs to be layoffs, they aren't here yet.

Retail business is booming right now.

The reason people think that a recession is coming is because the Fed has to stop giving money out for free now in order to fight inflation. That means banks can't give out loans, and businesses that survive on debt will be forced to close shop.

And the Fed is going to start "quantitative tightening" which basically means they are going to delete money from circulation to fight inflation.

The stock market is going down because investors foresee that coming. But it is not here now.

All of this centers around inflation. And if the inflation rate starts heading south, the Fed will loosen it's grip, and a recession will be avoided.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post

1) R / D... it doesn't matter. This is not a partisan issue. DC does not have any interest in balancing the budget. In fact, mathematically, they can't. The system would collapse on itself, which it is going to do anyways, the only unanswered question is when.

2) This massive, massive spending in response to COVID started under a "Republican" presidency in one Donald J Trump, as it would have under any other president. And the reason that it would happen under any president is because the population (people like you and me) are largely incredibly ignorant and stupid especially as it pertains to the issue of money / currency / devaluation etc. There was practically nobody in DC, in entertainment, on this board... calling for DC to stop their insanity spending back in April 2020 and for the following 12+ months. Virtually nobody. VIRTUALLY NOBODY.

It's not a partisan issue. It's not a democrat thing. It's not a republican thing. Stop this shit. You aren't helping anyone, least of all yourself.

You're in the right for calling out retarded tribal politics, but without the bailout the economy would have completely collapsed. Which is a much worse alternative to high inflation. Even a recession is a better alternative to that.

Did Trump and Biden throw out too much money? Definitely yes, we OVER-stimulated. Which is why everyone is over spending and sending prices high. But how much is too much? Could the country have gotten by on just half? Probably not to keep everyone employed. I'm guessing we'd be better off having just handed out around 70% of what we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing View Post
    This is serious shit. My business is taking a beating. Supplies are costing me more and I in turn have to charge more to the customer. Which probably means they'll hold on to their money a little tighter until things balance out again. But by that time, I may be out of business.

Strongly considering taking out a loan to pay for a more pressing loan. And that shit never works in the long run.
    Why don't you just pull yourself up by your bootstraps?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Why don't you just pull yourself up by your bootstraps?
    I'd like for you to taste my Size 12 boots. Right after I've buried them deep into your scrawny ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post

i distinctly remember cleverness & i calling out the bloated covid bills countless times and arguing that they should have been minimal and only targeting individuals/families and their small businesses.

to be fair i honestly didn't have overspending/the debt on my mind (it's a bit hard to during a government-enforced lockdown when people NEED the help) because of all of the other frivolous spending and bailouts that conveniently never get talked about by the media and partisan hacks on both sides because they're too busy with culture war nonsense and dishing out talking points.

If the nazi assholes across the street lose their house and business it will be hilarious.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

I'd like for you to taste my Size 12 boots. Right after I've buried them deep into your scrawny ass.
    Poopsie admits he's a fat ass.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

actually using a bank can turn for the better if you know how to work it.
    You are a clerk at a jewelry store , but your crack business could get sold for a profit.