Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If the UAE created a NBA-like league but had no draft restrictions...

How long before it becomes a more competitive league than the NBA?

Most NBA talents come from a tough upbringing financially, there are of course exceptions like Kobe, Luka etc. who have had the privilege of being exposed to like-minds.

But if the UAE decided to create a league with no draft restrictions which would allow high school prospects to make six to nine figures, how long do you think it would take for it to become a better product than the NBA if ever?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: If the UAE created a NBA-like league but had no draft restrictions...

All that would happen is people like scoot who go to the G league ignite, and other pro but not NBA leagues would flock there for the higher pay then come to the NBA when they were eligible. If the whole rights deal doesn’t get scuttled with this ESPN and spectrum fight we are going to see $400 million contracts soon. If you can stay home and play in a league you grew up watching and retire with half a billion? that’s plenty.

Plus, there is now a path for even college washouts to get life-changing money. 18 year olds are millionaires of Anaëlle. You just maintain eligibility you’re a millionaire as a great college player. You don’t necessarily have to go pro to avoid being desperate for cash. You can stay in college and build your game as not even a first round prospect and graduate with three times your parents career earnings.

Nijel Pack signed an $800,000 NIL deal with just one company. He’s a millionaire college student who probably won’t even make the NBA.

Poor kids gonna be rich the day after they graduate high school if they can ball. Less temptation to run to the Middle East if you can become a millionaire in the town of your choosing and run it for 3-4 years.

Default Re: If the UAE created a NBA-like league but had no draft restrictions...

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    All that would happen is people like scoot who go to the G league ignite, and other pro but not NBA leagues would flock there for the higher pay then come to the NBA when they were eligible. If the whole rights deal doesn’t get scuttled with this ESPN and spectrum fight we are going to see $400 million contracts soon. If you can stay home and play in a league you grew up watching and retire with half a billion? that’s plenty.

Plus, there is now a path for even college washouts to get life-changing money. 18 year olds are millionaires of Anaëlle. You just maintain eligibility you’re a millionaire as a great college player. You don’t necessarily have to go pro to avoid being desperate for cash. You can stay in college and build your game as not even a first round prospect and graduate with three times your parents career earnings.

Nijel Pack signed an $800,000 NIL deal with just one company. He’s a millionaire college student who probably won’t even make the NBA.

Poor kids gonna be rich the day after they graduate high school if they can ball. Less temptation to run to the Middle East if you can become a millionaire in the town of your choosing and run it for 3-4 years.
    Can you imagine how pissed the college stars of the past must be? I wonder if there's any talk of reparations (lol) of some form. But that's probably a whole other can of worms.

There have been so many great college players who are never going to have a pro career who could’ve made a lifetime of money. Tommie Frazier with these rules might’ve made 10 million in college.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Can you imagine how pissed the college stars of the past must be? I wonder if there's any talk of reparations (lol) of some form. But that's probably a whole other can of worms.
    “The [NCAA] robbed us enough… When I was at Kentucky, we went to Mexico, and I saw 3,000 ‘Cousins’ shirts. Vendor outside made 60 bands, and I'd get in trouble for a free meal.”

DeMarcus Cousins says NIL is too little too late 👀
    (via @shobasketball) pic.twitter.com/e49mkneIZa
    — ClutchPoints (@ClutchPoints) September 6, 2023

– via Twitter ClutchPointsApp

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post

do you not agree with what he said or do you just not care? College kids have obviously been the workforce of a billion dollar entity for years under the guise of being student athletes in an amateur system they were expected to be the only amateurs in.

People get in trouble for buying a college student a hamburger while making tens of millions of dollars off those students. At what point is it just…wrong?

A “free” education has always been a joke compared to the return the higher end guys provide.

You can go run 300 times and help generate millions in ticket sales and billions in television contracts and tear up your knee and have your scholarship revoked if you don’t come back the same. A lot of the people under the old system have a right to be annoyed.

do you not agree with what he said or do you just not care? College kids have obviously been the workforce of a billion dollar entity for years under the guise of being student athletes in an amateur system they were expected to be the only amateurs in.

People get in trouble for buying a college student a hamburger while making tens of millions of dollars off those students. At what point is it just…wrong?

A “free” education has always been a joke compared to the return the higher end guys provide.

You can go run 300 times and help generate millions in ticket sales and billions in television contracts and tear up your knee and have your scholarship revoked if you don’t come back the same. A lot of the people under the old system have a right to be annoyed.
    I think it's a good thing that get paid. Don't feel sorry for someone that was a POS and made 10's of millions though

Well, publicly professing a lack of empathy for anyone in any kind of hardship so long as they either have money, or have somehow annoyed you in the past is like a top-five thing to do on the Internet these days. I suppose not caring about the injustice done to college students because a fraction of them later got rich is pretty low on the list of objectionable situations like this.

I swear I’ve seen people pointing out that they don’t feel bad somebody got cancer. And not like some murderer, or a pedophile. Some kind of business person from a company they didn’t care for. For some reason we as a People just don’t want to acknowledge that rich people can be wronged and use the existence of poor people as a reason not to care about anything anybody rich is going through or went through. Even when the misfortune is from their poor days.

I’m rich now relative to where I came from, but this world has me wondering how well off I can be before people happily point out how little they care about my problems.

Well, publicly professing a lack of empathy for anyone in any kind of hardship so long as they either have money, or have somehow annoyed you in the past is like a top-five thing to do on the Internet these days. I suppose not caring about the injustice done to college students because a fraction of them later got rich is pretty low on the list of objectionable situations like this.

I swear I’ve seen people pointing out that they don’t feel bad somebody got cancer. And not like some murderer, or a pedophile. Some kind of business person from a company they didn’t care for. For some reason we as a People just don’t want to acknowledge that rich people can be wronged and use the existence of poor people as a reason not to care about anything anybody rich is going through or went through. Even when the misfortune is from their poor days.

I’m rich now relative to where I came from, but this world has me wondering how well off I can be before people happily point out how little they care about my problems.
    I don't care about your problems because you're a douche not because of how well off you tout yourself to be.

I’m well-off relative to where I started because I came up gathering rainwater in buckets to flush the toilet and learning how to steal power with meters taken off abandoned houses to turn ours on at night when the power company trucks wouldn’t be driving around. I certainly don’t think I’m rich by normal standards. But I do wonder when the cut off point is for people to disregard wrongdoing because ive reached that point.

I consider you the borderline unbearable kind of one note super fan, but I certainly wouldn’t want to hear about anything bad happening in your personal life. Thinking stupid things like setting a lot of screens making your contribution comparable on offense to Nikola Jokić is certainly weirdo shit but I would rather not hear you have a kidney stone or something.

Just as a fellow human….I care enough to hope you have good health and don’t get scammed out of your Rudy rookie cards or whatever it is you hold dear.

The world has too much negativity as it is.

I’m well-off relative to where I started because I came up gathering rainwater in buckets to flush the toilet and learning how to steal power with meters taken off abandoned houses to turn ours on at night when the power company trucks wouldn’t be driving around. I certainly don’t think I’m rich by normal standards. But I do wonder when the cut off point is for people to disregard wrongdoing because ive reached that point.

I consider you the borderline unbearable kind of one note super fan, but I certainly wouldn’t want to hear about anything bad happening in your personal life. Thinking stupid things like setting a lot of screens making your contribution comparable on offense to Nikola Jokić is certainly weirdo shit but I would rather not hear you have a kidney stone or something.

Just as a fellow human….I care enough to hope you have good health and don’t get scammed out of your Rudy rookie cards or whatever it is you hold dear.

The world has too much negativity as it is.
    never compared anyone to Jokic except papa Sabonis. You're not any better than the rest of the trolls. Making shit up for the hell of it. Have no cards of Gobert. My life doesn't revolve around a basketball player unlike the trolls who can't enough of the guy. They certainly didn't make this list

The most overpaid players of all time according to @*********’s Real Value metric:

1. John Wall
    2. Gordon Hayward
    3. Klay Thompson
    4. Tyson Chandler
    5. Juwan Howard
    6. Kevin Love
    7. Dikembe Mutombo
    8. Nicolas Batum
    9. Chandler Parsons
    10. Al Horford

— NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral) September 5, 2023

– via Twitter juanonjuan10

Why would UAE pay Scoot before they have to? What they should do is recruit guys like Scoot AFTER they get drafted but BEFORE he signed a contract. Wembanyama is only paid $12M his first year. If UAE is willing to pay him $30M annually, is he really turning that down? Pay the top 5-10 draft pick every year. The NBA will soon be forced to raise salaries to unsustainable amount.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Why would UAE pay Scoot before they have to? What they should do is recruit guys like Scoot AFTER they get drafted but BEFORE he signed a contract. Wembanyama is only paid $12M his first year. If UAE is willing to pay him $30M annually, is he really turning that down? Pay the top 5-10 draft pick every year. The NBA will soon be forced to raise salaries to unsustainable amount.
    ABA, AFL, WFL, USFL. Good luck!

You never compared Rudy to Jokic? What would you call this:

The best finisher in the game. You do know that the dunk is still the most efficient shot in the game and Rudy set a new record for dunks? You do know he's the best at setting screens in the whole league? That is the Jazz offense just as running the offense through Jokic is Denver's. He's better at running the floor. He's more athletic. He won the head to head matchup clearly too.
    Far as that list, I saw it on Twitter a while ago and actually wondered if somebody would post it and get a response like that from you. Never got around to posting it.

You never compared Rudy to Jokic? What would you call this:

Far as that list, I saw it on Twitter a while ago and actually wondered if somebody would post it and get a response like that from you. Never got around to posting it.
    your best comparison made the list and he didn't for some strange reason