Default Need Some Input From Our Black Brothers Here

This video popped up in my feed yesterday and at first I thought it was a novel way of reviewing phones with a touch of humour. However the more I watched I realised the man is serious about the fact that he is not happy with smartphones not being able to "capture" his skin tone and apparently he is not alone considering some of the comments. The video gets a bit iffy with the dude repeating stuff like "skin representation" and "POC" as if this is a discrimination issue. His method of testing is sus as well considering he never used a proper professional camera to capture his face and compare to the smartphones to see how far off they were.
    By the end it looked like his main gripe was that smartphones captured his skin tone a few shades darker and he didn't like it, something that's also present in the comments. Now since I trust the word of my ISH brethren over some Youtuber, I figured I ask here and find out if the dude's on to something.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Default Re: Need Some Input From Our Black Brothers Here

I’m mixed, pretty much as bright as LaVine/Klay, some of my pics come out really white, others a deep olive/tan …

… when I see people complaining about imaginary bullsh!t like this, and claiming sh!t like this has any chance to be anything related to racism/some systemic problem, it makes me shake my head in pity-less disgust the same way I do when I see a 1st grader throwing a tantrum in a store when their mom won’t buy em something..

B!tch is having a first world women’s problem.
    His own preoccupation with his skin tone reveals some sort of ingrained confidence issue with it.
    Ain’t nobody else’s fault if you get sensitive about looking darker or lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool View Post
    I’m mixed, pretty much as bright as LaVine/Klay, some of my pics come out really white, others a deep olive/tan …

… when I see people complaining about imaginary bullsh!t like this, and claiming sh!t like this has any chance to be anything related to racism/some systemic problem, it makes me shake my head in pity-less disgust the same way I do when I see a 1st grader throwing a tantrum in a store when their mom won’t buy em something..

B!tch is having a first world women’s problem.
    His own preoccupation with his skin tone reveals some sort of ingrained confidence issue with it.
    Ain’t nobody else’s fault if you get sensitive about looking darker or lighter.
    That was my take as well, in fact I thought a lot of the photos he took issue with were more natural than the ones which were either overexposed or showed too much post-processing. Appreciate your take.

Not gonna watch the vid right now, but the thumbnail alone makes the two pics look like they are not even the same person. It's not just how the skin tone is captured, but the warping of facial features that results from different hardware and lenses. We all look a bit weird and uglier when we take phone selfies. They never capture the image of what we see in mirrors. It has nothing to do with race.

just dropping in to let it be known that i identify as a black man. that's how i feel today, anyway.

however, the times i identify as an asian man i can confirm that certain cameras don't truly capture the essence of just how slanted my eyes are.

Banned

Lol you could tell from the selfies that he's sassy and insecure.

What kind of man poses for a selfie and makes that face.

Quote Originally Posted by diamenz View Post
    just dropping in to let it be known that i identify as a black man. that's how i feel today, anyway.

however, the times i identify as an asian man i can confirm that certain cameras don't truly capture the essence of just how slanted my eyes are.
    you is a certified b1tch, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    you is a certified b1tch, that's for sure.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, brotha.