Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Celtics are Historically Dominant!

This year's Boston Celtics have a +12.0 Net Rating which is the 2nd highest of all time behind the 1996 Bulls. Based on my prediction model, they have a 78% chance of winning the title this year. Historically dominant. (Djoker on X)
    Is the model wrong?

Injuries always make me wary of such high odds.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Celtics are Historically Dominant!

The net rating is just the product of our modern blowout era. The nights when the shooters were hitting they would blow teams out by 30. The win-loss record is more indicative of where they rate. Very good but there have been a number of better teams as far as all time goes. Don't belong in the discussion, need to win a ring before we can think about such things.

I don't agree with the model, but they do have the best chance because their Conference is significantly worse IMO. Thing is, they've been a great RS team for most of the past 7-8 years, but they seem to always play down to their competition at some point in the EC, and the one time they made the Finals they got destroyed. They don't have a generational player leading the team which really tells you that the odds should not be that high.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    I don't agree with the model, but they do have the best chance because their Conference is significantly worse IMO. Thing is, they've been a great RS team for most of the past 7-8 years, but they seem to always play down to their competition at some point in the EC, and the one time they made the Finals they got destroyed. They don't have a generational player leading the team which really tells you that the odds should not be that high.
    How many times did they win 60 games? Take the top seed?

Losing 4-2 in the finals is not getting destroyed.

Their roster is perfectly constructed for the no pressure, no adjustments regular season.

And obviously, without another dominant team in the conference they still have a good chance of reaching the finals. And certainly a possibility of winning it.

But whether Mazzulla and the Celtics core players are capable of making the necessary adjustments to their game if they get punched in the mouth by a team that's playing well... is still to be determined. And there is reason to be skeptical. But anything is possible.

Made that high school varsity squad

If they were in the Western Conference, they would be right in the mix with Denver, Minn, and OKC — but not significantly better. They are great playing way out in front, but highly suspect in close games. When it comes down to the wire, all they’ve got is iso ball. Also, an injury to Porzingas will tank their chances (but that could never happen, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Their roster is perfectly constructed for the no pressure, no adjustments regular season.

And obviously, without another dominant team in the conference they still have a good chance of reaching the finals. And certainly a possibility of winning it.

But whether Mazzulla and the Celtics core players are capable of making the necessary adjustments to their game if they get punched in the mouth by a team that's playing well... is still to be determined. And there is reason to be skeptical. But anything is possible.
    Exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    Losing 4-2 in the finals is not getting destroyed.
    Porzingas!

I do get the feeling that they are.

Porzingis was the missing link, theyre perfect now.

In fact I feel like they lost a lot of close games.

I looked over their losses and almost all of the 16 are 1-2 possession type games.

They could easily be 70-12 or something I feel like.

Im looking forward to hopefully seeing them get challenged by Philly in R1, and I wanted Heat in R2 for them, but those scrubs sadly couldnt keep pace of 4th/5th seed so thats gonna be a bye for them.

Bucks not looking too convincing, I feel like you can almost pencil Boston in for another finals appearance.

They might be a little too undercooked by then.

yup. if they don't win it all this time, then brad must blow it up. NO EXCUSES.

If the Celtics lose, I'll have to say that Stevens has some hex on him

Quote Originally Posted by Proctor View Post
    Porzingas!

They actually led 2-1 before dropping the next three. It's not the same as having a phenomenal 73-win season with hca throughout the playoffs, only to blow a 3-1 lead in the finals.