Default Interesting to see Carlisle and Kidd back in the conference finals

Theyre obviously connected in the fact it was Carlisle who stepped down from the Mavs a few years ago and endorsed Kidd as his replacement, who was ultimately hired.

But also, both coaches had “exposés” written about them after previous departures (Rick from Dallas, Kidd from Milwaukee) that quoted some players as saying theyd created something of an unpleasant environment as coaches, and the players were happy to see them go.

Now here they are, taking the 5 and 6 seeds respectively into the conference finals. Granted I think both are longshots in their coming series, but still with a chance clearly.

Gotta give em credit for continuing to have success in a league where it’s pretty hard to do so as a coach for an extended time.

Default Re: Interesting to see Carlisle and Kidd back in the conference finals

Coaches are the scapegoats for ass-coverin' front-office executives and bratty star players. Hard to really coach a team under these circumstances.

Things were better pre '90s on this front. Before the commercial explosion off the work of Magic, Bird, and MJ. When the expansion teams came in and young guys started getting huge contracts. Guys like Shaq, Webber, Garnett, Mourning, etc. Some even became celebrities and brands and started selling and endorsing products and appearing in movies and releasing rap music.

I think that's when the new era began; that's when the game shifted from college-style teams to a player empowerment era.

I wonder what the best way to measure coach empowerment vs. player empowerment over the eras? Magic got his coach fired in the early '80s if I recall correctly. I'm sure there were definitely some player mutinies and shenanigans back in the day. But it definitely felt like players became more powerful and therefore more willing to get away with bad behavior when they started making more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    I wonder what the best way to measure coach empowerment vs. player empowerment over the eras? Magic got his coach fired in the early '80s if I recall correctly. I'm sure there were definitely some player mutinies and shenanigans back in the day. But it definitely felt like players became more powerful and therefore more willing to get away with bad behavior when they started making more money.
    I mean Lebron did kinda renew a culture of respect for coaches, altho he’s kind of going it alone in that regard. But he’s such an incredibly revered figure it feels like whatever he does, is reflected in the era as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Damn, even Cuban is taller than Jason Terry?

Wade will never live that series down.