Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default What is your lifetime comeuppance rate?

How many of the people/teams the Internet or your core group of friends and family would consider you a hater of went on to win?

And for the record from the player side, I would say it’s only true comeuppance when your target is the best player on a team that wins. I’m sure Gary Payton has big-time haters, but I doubt any of them felt tight in the chest he won in Miami. Even with the big shot he hit. You can’t win in somebody else’s supporting cast and silence your haters. Not fully.

for me personally I have never faced individual comeuppance. All of the players my friends and family assumed I had a personal issue with never won anything. Karl Malone never won shit. Reggie Miller never won shit. Bill Laimbeer won on somebody else’s team. Isiah Thomas was eventually a villain to Chicago as the leader of the Pistons, but he was actually from like half a mile from my neighborhood. Isiah Thomas would just be outside playing basketball when he was already established as an NBA star. My neighborhood didn’t hate him personally like that. He was a local legend. And we all initially backed his battles against the Celtics and wanted them to win. So them winning wasn’t like…a kick in the teeth. Antione Walker won but as a role player for someone else.

My only current guy would be Harden But he’s been the second or third guy for his last three stops. Leonard being hurt so often left a window he could have fit some comeuppance through but as usual he failed.

I don’t **** with after years of trying to overlook his bitchassedness but I was also a fan at one point so I don’t know if it would be a comeuppance situation or just being wrong. They aren’t exactly the same thing.

Getting your comeuppance is Personal. My closest with it was when John Starks had a single shot to win the NBA championship and make the worst fans in my life. Go crazy and serve bowl after bowl of humble pie I would’ve had to choke down. But Hakeem saved my life. And he saved it again the next year after I had already faced some comeuppance having to watch the magic who were loved by my least favorite cousin beat my Bulls. It was one of several things that led to us actually getting into a fight that spilled off the front porch of the house hosting the wedding of our cousin .

I actually got clowned so hard about the 95 Bulls/Magic series…we had an actual fight. we had other issues and had fought before in childish skirmishes in the 80s, but this was like a fight fight. At a wedding. It’s been almost 30 years and my mom will not forgive the embarrassment. It wasn’t as simple as “Penny beat Jordan” and I went crazy but it was part of an overall theme of him being a dick. I’m a dick. But he was over the top with it.

Anyway Hakeem saved me from true destruction by knocking them out in the finals.

I was also kind of lucky the OJ Chase happened in 94 because it took some of the coverage and discussion from a big Knicks win that finals that put me on the precipice of what would’ve been the worst sports summer of my life.

Hakeem and OJ saved my 94 summer and since the Magic in 95 I’ve been safe.

Tatum and Luka are both potentially gonna ladle out generous bowls of rich chunky comeuppance to some people here I won’t name. Jokic already did. Ant doesn’t have too many established haters. Brown, Kyrie, KAT, Rudy, and so on aren’t really in position to do it as background characters in the story though they all have people who don’t like them. Maybe Kyrie for finally winning without Lebron would do it?

Not sure.

Tatum and Luka definitely though.

But so far…..

What is your record?

How many people have beat you over the head with victory you didn’t want to see happen?

Default Re: What is your lifetime comeuppance rate?

I'm a Iverson hater but I admit when he won that game against the Lakers in 2001 it was the equivalent to winning 3 titles and finals mvp. That's how hard it was. Oooh I just hate the man but I have to admit he's top 10 all time

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Being a Laker hater is rough but being a Knicks hater is beautiful. Oddly things are looking up with the Lakers set to draft a guy that averaged 4 points in the PAC10 to keep a team that can't avoid the play-in together but looking a bit down with the Knicks who I really need to trade Brunson and Hart...

I'll say .500.

Local High School Star

Kobe in 09 and 10. But are we so sure he was head and shoulders better than Pau? From a flash standpoint and from an outspoken standpoint, of course Kobe was the man on those teams, but was he really the best 5 on 5 player on those two Lakers teams? The same recycled arguments will pop up if anyone chooses to respond but the fact of the matter is Kobe never had a single playoff series victory without the best frontcourt in the entire league alongside him. Yet still I must admit he deserves more credit for these titles than his first three.

I never hated Kobe, I just hated his fans because they were so incredibly obnoxiously confident that he was the best player in the world, when he probably never was for a full season. To be fair this is the same reason a lot of people hate LeBron James. He also has some incredibly irrational fans.

You don't get to control what other people say about you so that wasn't Kobe's fault. Personality wise Kobe was far more likeable and easier to root for from a fan's perspective, not a teammate's, than LeBron. LeBron has a very unlikable personality though I highly prefer most of his game over Kobe's and have rooted for him during his career as such.

I'm definitely a James Harden & Joel Embiid hater because of their play styles. Clowns of the highest order. I would be very unhappy if they were either to ever win a title as the man. Luckily we all know that won't ever happen.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

I want to say it but i’m not gonna.

Kobe in 09 and 10. But are we so sure he was head and shoulders better than Pau?
    yes. And I say that as somebody who wanted the Bulls to trade for Pau and not Kobe at the time because Pau would cost less and Kobe would be traded for so much we would just be the Tmac Magic.

I didn’t see the appeal of trading Deng, Ben, Kirk, and so on so Kobe could have the worst lineup in the league to play with. Looking back, he only had six more years of stardom. We would’ve been awful for probably the first three trying to rebuild. Maybe still get lucky and draft Rose to pair with Kobe, but there was no obvious path to them being good after trading the four best players for him

Well, Im in The Lebron Fam, so weve never taken an L. It doesnt matter to me who else wins from time to time, because I know the league cheats and sabotages against my King, so there is no comeuppance. The fact he has hung five banners - while BEING hung in the drawers - essentially gives each of us in His family a lifetime immunity to comeuppance.

The only guys I didn’t really like that won were Kobe & A-Rod, Mayweather too.

Mayweather must be a bad one to be on the wrong side of. A guy who literally never lost at all? What can you even do? Complainin about his manner of victory?

Never liked Lebron's game, but he was always a great and I hoped he would win a championship in his first Cleveland stint.

His s&t to Miami and especially the way he handled it disappointed me, so I really really hoped he wouldn't win there, but that was almost the consensus in my circle of friends. So no real comeuppance. No other player I didn't like ever really won.

I also disliked Miller and Malone back in the days and Malone lsoing was quite satisfying.

Where I'd object is your stance on Bill Laimbeer/Green. Yeah, former leaders, who were vocal douches when the were, but ended up winning as some 7th man shouldn't matter.
    Laimbeer won as the guy he always was and was quite vital to that team. Same for Green.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Only players I hate are Embiid and Draymond, guys who try to hurt people on purpose. On the flipside… huge Curry fan so I kind of have to suffer Draymond to watch him win- worth it imo. I’ve always been one of the bigger defenders of Embiid and Harden, saying it’s on the nba to stop rewarding flops rather than the other way around; where Embiid lost me was game 3 where he attempted to hurt Hartenstein and Mitchell Robinson several times.

Biggest comeuppance is probably Heat Lebron. As a Bull’s fan you’re kind of obligated to hate him back then, but his 2012 title under the most pressure ever after spending an entire season as the league’s laughing stock for the 2011 debacle… if you can’t respect that you’re hating on judgement-clouding levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Mayweather must be a bad one to be on the wrong side of. A guy who literally never lost at all? What can you even do? Complainin about his manner of victory?
    That's all they could do, complain about the way he won and pray the next guy was the one to best him.

My comeuppance lasted a while as a Rockets fan watching both the Spurs and Mavs win titles while we weren't lol.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Mine is really bad.

I rooted against Jordan. And Bird. Against the Heat when they had LeBron. Against the Spurs when the Suns had Nash. Against Giannis. Didn't really work out for me.