Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Backup plans -- 2nd and 3rd teams to watch

Most of the time the team we root for has no realistic chance to win it all. And most of the time they do, in the end they won't.

So for many of us, our teams are out of the running this year already. And for almost all of us, it is not realistic to imagine our team will go all the way next year. With the Nuggets, I at least have some decent odds (but the way I see it, not more than 10-20% of a chance for next year unless some trades happen). Midseason I gave them a 20-30% chance -- it failed to materialize. As is stands now, their chances are worse next year. And for most posters their teams' chances are even lower. If you root for the Wizards or even better teams like Utah, Atlanta etc., you can't have realistic expectation to watch them in the playoffs (for long).

So do you guys have 2nd or 3rd teams? Ones you kinda like and then switch? Or you just make up your minds as the results arrive? Maybe stop following the rest of the season? Or quasi-following it?

For example: I absolutely don't care it Indiana or Boston wins. If we had two such teams in the West, I would not watch any of the remaining games 'live' (I have to stay up at night or get up really early to do that as I'm in Europe). Maybe I'd watch a condensed game the next day. Maybe not. The Mavs-Wolves series is interesting, so I'm okay for this year. I will watch and in the Finals I'll root for the the winner in this series. But it was not a backup plan. It just so happened. For next year, I shall be more prepared.

How do you usually do it?

Default Re: Backup plans -- 2nd and 3rd teams to watch

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    Most of the time the team we root for has no realistic chance to win it all. And most of the time they do, in the end they won't.

So for many of us, our teams are out of the running this year already. And for almost all of us, it is not realistic to imagine our team will go all the way next year. With the Nuggets, I at least have some decent odds (but the way I see it, not more than 10-20% of a chance for next year unless some trades happen). Midseason I gave them a 20-30% chance -- it failed to materialize. As is stands now, their chances are worse next year. And for most posters their teams' chances are even lower. If you root for the Wizards or even better teams like Utah, Atlanta etc., you can't have realistic expectation to watch them in the playoffs (for long).

So do you guys have 2nd or 3rd teams? Ones you kinda like and then switch? Or you just make up your minds as the results arrive? Maybe stop following the rest of the season? Or quasi-following it?

For example: I absolutely don't care it Indiana or Boston wins. If we had two such teams in the West, I would not watch any of the remaining games 'live' (I have to stay up at night or get up really early to do that as I'm in Europe). Maybe I'd watch a condensed game the next day. Maybe not. The Mavs-Wolves series is interesting, so I'm okay for this year. I will watch and in the Finals I'll root for the the winner in this series. But it was not a backup plan. It just so happened. For next year, I shall be more prepared.

How do you usually do it?
    I usually want a team or star that never won to win.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    You will have success this year. :-)

I'd like to have a backup plan. For many years I wanted to teams in the Finals: the 76ers and the Nuggets. As of now it doesn't seem like happening next year. It may but the odds are quite low. I need something else. I haven't watched much of Dallas so I'll observe. Luka ball was not something I liked watching but they may be a lot different now. Don't hate the Timberwolves stlye either. But I'm not touched by the team -- Edwards might prove interesting in the long run. Not sure. OKC I did watch and while it's fine, I'm usually a bit bored. Boston is really boring for me (I like Horford and White though) and Indiana is not much better in that department. Wemby is a wildcard. The Bucks are out of the question as are the Clippers. Actually, the Suns could be interesting if they somehow acquired a decent/good point guard and possibly another big man. But Beal is hard to trade and Durant is someone I don't like but getting equal value for him is also hard. I don't know.

really riding the timberwolves wave rn. their energy is contagious. love that they play good defense and are resilient. folks around here hate rudy gobert bc they like to troll xaio, but i have no issue with his game. i always thought of KAT as being soft but since AE came around, he's playing through contact more and more. AE has that smug attitude that is just entertaining enough to overlook how cocky he is. i hope they reach and win the finals.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    So in Boston's case, does that apply to the franchise as a whole or just the current core group?

Made that high school varsity squad

During the season, there are only a couple of teams I watch because I like how they play - mainly Denver and Sacramento. I don’t like watching heavy ISO, or stagnant offenses, which is frankly most of the league. Once they are out, I will pick who to root for based on who is left and how they are playing. Don’t care much about the East, but hope the Celtics win because I think they will make a better finals. In the West, I like MN better than Dallas, largely because of their energy on defense. Don’t like how either team plays offense.

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster View Post
    So in Boston's case, does that apply to the franchise as a whole or just the current core group?
    They are the team I want to win the least, but the core deserves a chip for sure. Out of the stars still present I feel Luka's career is the one that needs a chip the most to feel complete and the volatile nature of Mav's roster management could cost him future chances.

Very good NBA starter

Mavs for sure and then Pacers are now a team I will be rooting for too.

Really like their style of play, very smart, very fast, high level brainiac basketball letting the ball move instead of dribbling.

If the finals are Wolves vs Boston, then I don't have any particular preference. I'd like to see Porzingas get a ring though, would do a lot for baltic basketball. I guess I find KAT and Gobert mostly likeable, not sure yet about Ant.

In any case, there should be enough to keep watching, but perhaps not every finals game if Mavs don't make it.

Second and third teams are based on where my favorite players are, it's player based, unlike your first team.

Lakers are my ride or die at present, but I'm down with the Heat and Cavs too, and I'm frankly ready to switch between them at a moment's notice. Not sure what it is about these franchises, I've just had a longstanding affinity for them.