Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Rudy Gobert is a playoff joke

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    The Gobert hate is excessive. No, he's not an elite player but there is no center in the l league that you would want isolated with Doncic on the perimeter. In league history the only guy I would feel good about is young Kevin Garnett.
    I'd be confident with Adebayo for a possession.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    I feel bad for rudy though because when Shaq and Barkley and the inside the nba crew brings his name up everybody immediately starts smirking and laughing.

Like this dude busts his ass at his job more than probably 95% of the human population and he gets clowned for it.
    I think there's a couple factors.

1. Rudy is unlikeable for how critical he's been of teammates in former years, the whining to the refs, the whining about allstar selection, the Covid microphone thing, etc.

2. He's heavily praised and paid like a top 15 player but is likely the most exploitable on either end of the floor in that top 15 except for maybe Beal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    My first thought when they switched was that Luka was going to hit a step back three. And I was watching the game with the same absolute non sports fan woman I was watching the bubble series vs the clippers with when he hit that buzzer beater. I told her then he would hit it but this time I just chuckled. It’s one of those things that requires no insight. I’m not saying I knew anything. You see that set up you think step back three for the win. Luka definitely looked at him as food. People just don’t respect when a DPOY is food. A switch everything league just can’t have a slow footed bumbling Mutombo type who can’t be expected to step out as DPOY without laughs.

no matter how Statistically, impactful removing a chunk of layups is over the course of time it just doesn’t matter when offenses can choose to isolate and destroy you and laugh about it in the post game. When your “dominant” performance in response is generally 14-18 almost all of which will be created by someone else and dropped in your lap and 18 rebounds 14 of which are generally uncontested(like with everyone) you just aren’t gonna beat the allegations.

Apparently, he isn’t that likable either. He had publicized issues with several teammates. Took a swing at one last year on the bench. Players and fans just don’t **** with him in general. And when you’re disliked and your calling card is also exploitable?

Just a recipe to be be considered overrated.

But when you really think about it? He’s crossed that threshold where enough people don’t like him where it’s hard for him to be overrated. He’s the opposite of when Marion was considered the most underrated player by the entire world to the point nobody was still underrating him.

Hes fine for what he is. He can be hunted but his team can win even as that happens. And no doubt his general pro defense mentality and encouragement contributes to total team defense even when he’s picked on.

Hes generally a positive to have. And he works very hard. You can see he takes it personal when he’s picked on but…he’s just out there stumbling around looking bad. He looks like an actual joke from a physical comedy out there because he’s trying soooooo hard not to get eaten up in space. And players are just laughing at him.

I feel for him at those times. A little. Not a lot. But I feel for him.
    and covid, don't forget covid

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

In Game 1 Gobert played 37 minutes and was a +10. They lost by 3. So in the 11 minutes he was off the court, they were a -13.

In Game 2 Gobert played 37 minutes and was a +1. They lost by 1. So in the 11 minutes he didn't play, they were a -2.

Gobert is not the problem for the Wolves in this series. The problem is their so called superstars in KAT and ANT. KAT is a combined -5 for both games shooting 28% from the field. ANT is a combined -10 for both games shooting 33% from the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight View Post
    In Game 1 Gobert played 37 minutes and was a +10. They lost by 3. So in the 11 minutes he was off the court, they were a -13.

In Game 2 Gobert played 37 minutes and was a +1. They lost by 1. So in the 11 minutes he didn't play, they were a -2.

Gobert is not the problem for the Wolves in this series. The problem is their so called superstars in KAT and ANT. KAT is a combined -5 for both games shooting 28% from the field. ANT is a combined -10 for both games shooting 33% from the field.
    This has been a trend for the entire regular season and playoffs. On/off net rating suggests he's the most impactful player on the team

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Dont confuse us with facts

The homer troll sounds defeated and tired of his own lying. If you vacation in Puerto Rico this summer say hi to Naz while you're there! Someone is gonna get paid and deserves it unlike DPOY!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    can you imagine one of those youtube montages of reactions if you could get the 20 best from other players watching that shot? The laughter would be deafening. He is so widely mocked is crazy.

And it isn’t one demographic or kind of player. Multiple other elite defenders laugh at him. Draymond. Patrick Beverly saying he had to look up the French word for trash when he watched him on film. Edwards saying KP was better defending the rim and Rudy “Don’t put no fear in my heart” before of course having to play nice now. Luka laughing in the post game last night. I remember Westbrook laughing saying “No he’s not…” when a fan courtside said Rudy was the DPOY after(before?) he scored on him again. Didnt Kyle Anderson tell him to shut the **** up and block some shots right before Rudy tried to punch him? Jokic with the “Brother…I have 47” when Jokic doesn’t seem to care about any of it.

This is the clippers watching him shoot:

Its every race and background and nationality.

You never saw that with people like Ben Wallace who also had a small offensive role.

People just don’t like that dude and it bleeds over into coverage and fan perception. I don’t know what it could be in person but what we can see doesn’t seem THAT bad.
    Yea... because Ben Wallace would kill a mother****er that laughed at him. French people don't carry that mandingo "nigg@ what you say" look or swagger that B-Dubs had.

You can't tell me Ben Wallace wouldn't be in some southern penitentiary stealing cheeks as a gang boss if it wasn't for basketball. Everybody can feel that vibe. Tooty would probably be working in finance or modeling if not for ball.
    Last edited by tpols; 05-25-2024 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Yea... because Ben Wallace would kill a mother****er that laughed at him. French people don't carry that mandingo "nigg@ what you say" look or swagger that B-Dubs had.

You can't tell me Ben Wallace wouldn't be in some southern penitentiary stealing cheeks as a gang boss if it wasn't for basketball. Everybody can feel that vibe. Tooty would probably be working in finance or modeling if not for ball.
    Gobert grew up poor i think. Might have been a criminal without ball

Local High School Star

Yes, one play by a guard out-maneuvering a center for a shot should negate the totality of a player's contributions. I see where the OP is going with this.....

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    Yes, one play by a guard out-maneuvering a center for a shot should negate the totality of a player's contributions. I see where the OP is going with this.....
    Trollin

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    this is a real take

pretty much any 7 footer left on an island vs luka is going to get straight cooked

I have no sympathy for Gobert - he deserves the criticism - he's getting paid $205 million for 5 yrs. 4x DPOY and can't be on the court during the biggest defensive possession of the game?

Shaq and Chuck are rightly smirking - probably licking their chops at the thought of Gobert defending them (compared to all the REAL defensive players they had to deal with).

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

You gotta figure he comes out angry. What you thinking? 16 and 17? He can somewhat control the rebound total. I feel like he’s a sensitive type who would want something tangible to show. Might be cutting extra hard on those rolls to the basket