Default Why are big leads no longer safe these days?

Of all my years watching the NBA, I've never seen so many big leads go away. 90% of these playoff games, the team with a 15+ point lead end up losing the game. You basically hneed a 25+ point lead in today's NBA.
    What is goin on?

Default Re: Why are big leads no longer safe these days?

Teams shoot a lot of 3s. One team starts out hot while the other struggles to make them and it flips at some point in the game, thus the comeback. Teams with those big leads keep chucking 3s and to me it feels like most coaches are terrible at calling a timeout & adjusting their offense to stop the momentum of the other team, they'll just keep chucking 3s early in the shot clock and keep missing and all of a sudden the game is going the other way.

Denver vs Minnesota G7 is a good example of this. Jokic is heralded as this offensive genius but kept taking 3s rather early in the shot click because he was left open, even though he was tired and clearly struggled shooting them, and that led to a 30-point turnaround in the game.

3 pointers. Simple.

It is the exact reason the rest of the world is catching up to the USA as well. It takes away a lot of the advantages the "better" talent has, and you have games where the team that was better doesn't necessarily win.

Its why I think the 73-9 season from GSW is a hell of a lot more impressive than the Bulls doing it back in the day.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    Of all my years watching the NBA, I've never seen so many big leads go away. 90% of these playoff games, the team with a 15+ point lead end up losing the game. You basically hneed a 25+ point lead in today's NBA.
    What is goin on?
    5 shots of 3 = 15

defense has increased to levels of 80's and 90's.
    We are finally seeing athletic plays = ever play.

Last night perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking View Post
    3 pointers. Simple.

It is the exact reason the rest of the world is catching up to the USA as well. It takes away a lot of the advantages the "better" talent has, and you have games where the team that was better doesn't necessarily win.

Its why I think the 73-9 season from GSW is a hell of a lot more impressive than the Bulls doing it back in the day.
    Sure but at the cost of defense tho. I can see why some casuals whine that this era is way softer than what it used to be before.

Every team can shoot 3s, variance is higher.

Offenses have gotten better.

= Streaks are more extreme

Just about every good team has a high powered offense nowadays, capable of scoring in bunches

All the best offensive teams are in the last 10 years