Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default What happened to Kyrie? Did he mature? Something else?

I don't think there have been any issues with him in terms of conduct since going to Dallas. What's the deal? He acted like a headcase for the better part of 6 or 7 years and now all of a sudden within 12 months he looks like a model citizen and role model for the younger guys including Luka himself.

Does Dallas treat him differently? Did he just grow up? Did some off the court drama stop?

What did I miss?

Props to Kyrie for turning it around though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: What happened to Kyrie? Did he mature? Something else?

He had a long talk with LeBron.

He was unlucky with the teams he played on. Cavs, Celtics & Nets were all toxic as ****, from the org down to his co-stars. Lebron was more concerned with chasing Jordan and boosting his own brand rather than having Irving's back more, Celtic co-stars were too young & thought they were better than Kyrie after they had that fluke 2018 run vs. a weak EC which drove him away, Nets screwed him over with the COVID stuff and didn't have his back when visiting players were allowed to play while unvaxxed in Brooklyn while Irving wasn't.

He had a few missteps of his own with some of his Twitter posts & the COVID stuff, but he never seemed that immature as a player to me. Always had a good heart & was respectful to others, which is why most of his former teammates still love him despite everything that happened during those seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    He was unlucky with the teams he played on. Cavs, Celtics & Nets were all toxic as ****, from the org down to his co-stars. Lebron was more concerned with chasing Jordan and boosting his own brand rather than having Irving's back more, Celtic co-stars were too young & thought they were better than Kyrie after they had that fluke 2018 run vs. a weak EC which drove him away, Nets screwed him over with the COVID stuff and didn't have his back when visiting players were allowed to play while unvaxxed in Brooklyn while Irving wasn't.

He had a few missteps of his own with some of his Twitter posts & the COVID stuff, but he never seemed that immature as a player to me. Always had a good heart & was respectful to others, which is why most of his former teammates still love him despite everything that happened during those seasons.
    Is that why Kyrie called LeBron and apologized to him after he left the Cavs?

NBA Superstar

I'm sure maturity is a big part of it, but I think the biggest thing is that he has an enormous amount of respect for, and a great relationship with Kidd.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Is that why Kyrie called LeBron and apologized to him after he left the Cavs?
    He didn't need to apologize for wanting to be more than just another Bron teammate who got 0 credit and all the blame when they fell short. Can you blame him for feeling a certain way when after he hit the biggest shot in Cavs' history they just slurped Bron non-stop while he got next to no credit from the Klutch media for that 3 - 1 comeback? Irving outperformed Steph in that Finals and hit the shot that won them the series (and played lockdown D on Steph when it mattered most), and was treated like a 2nd-tier star like he got carried or some shit when him & Bron were 1a/1b as scorers in that title run.

The young guys in Boston (Tatum & Rozier) wanted to have a bigger role on offense than Kyrie, but Kyrie was miles ahead of them as a scorer at the time. Idk why it prompted Irving to apologize to Lebron in 2019 but he really shouldn't have. He had the right to want out of the Bron media circus where his teammates would get scapegoated for his losses. The same thing happened to AD in LA, but AD doesn't seem to care about it because he idolizes Lebron.

He didn't need to apologize for wanting to be more than just another Bron teammate who got 0 credit and all the blame when they fell short. Can you blame him for feeling a certain way when after he hit the biggest shot in Cavs' history they just slurped Bron non-stop while he got next to no credit from the Klutch media for that 3 - 1 comeback? Irving outperformed Steph in that Finals and hit the shot that won them the series (and played lockdown D on Steph when it mattered most), and was treated like a 2nd-tier star like he got carried or some shit when him & Bron were 1a/1b as scorers in that title run.

The young guys in Boston (Tatum & Rozier) wanted to have a bigger role on offense than Kyrie, but Kyrie was miles ahead of them as a scorer at the time. Idk why it prompted Irving to apologize to Lebron in 2019 but he really shouldn't have. He had the right to want out of the Bron media circus where his teammates would get scapegoated for his losses. The same thing happened to AD in LA, but AD doesn't seem to care about it because he idolizes Lebron.
    Because he realized leading a team was harder than it looks and he realized Tatum & Rozier were basically him when he was in Cleveland, young immature kids.

NBA Superstar

Why shouldn't he have? Maybe it's possible that he, being in the situation, knew things about it that you don't..

NBA rookie of the year

Sometimes you can overreact with getting too caught up with a player's behavior. If you ignore it, like Cuban did, they just settle down on their own and start playing basketball (go figure).

I think he likes Luka too, which doesn't hurt. Luka just seems like a very easy going person off the court.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

ImKobe posting bs like always. How is making the ECF a fluke when they've done it together 5 out of 7 years? It was the first sign of what they can do together.

I don't know how much Irving has matured but it's possible he's been humbled by the Nets kicking him to the curb. He was extremely entitled, with the worst example being when he left Brooklyn for two weeks without telling the coach or team where he was (sister's birthday). The vaccine mandate issue is understandable and if that was the only controversy I wouldn't say anything but it was part of a constant stream of issues that made him one of the worst signings in league history for Brooklyn. Maturation had to happen. I would be surprised if someone in Dallas didn't quietly make sure he knew that no further garbage would be tolerated.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Idk why it prompted Irving to apologize to Lebron in 2019 but he really shouldn't have.

perhaps he realized none of the shit you’re talking about really matters to life and it’s better not to live in conflict with people you know and may have considered friends over such things?

How well adjusted would you assume someone is if they sit around concerned about if Kendrick Perkins thinks they were a 2 instead of a 1B?

That’s weirdo obsessive shit. It’s the kind of thing it would appear made Kevin Durant sit around and sign up for burners to defend himself on Twitter.

That isn’t the life a peaceful person with his head on straight and a rational outlook on life and priorities would be living.

You imagine Steve Nash is sitting around upset about who got more credit in Dallas between him and Dirk? Maybe it felt good to beat them later, but that’s just competition. He strikes me as too laid back a person to be stressed out about something like that.

That guy walks around burning sage and reading up on questionable theories about the universe. Maybe he just grew out of the bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Because he realized leading a team was harder than it looks and he realized Tatum & Rozier were basically him when he was in Cleveland, young immature kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    Why shouldn't he have? Maybe it's possible that he, being in the situation, knew things about it that you don't..
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/c...-of-cleveland/

In mid-June, shortly before Griffin left, team and league sources confirm, the Cavs explored a three-way deal with Phoenix and Indiana that would have shipped Irving and Frye to the Suns and brought Eric Bledsoe and Paul George to Cleveland. The Suns resisted, unwilling to part with their No. 4 pick, which they planned to use to draft Josh Jackson.

No formal offer was made by any of the teams, but news of this potential transaction stung Irving, who, sources close to him say, became convinced that LeBron's camp, which also represents Bledsoe, orchestrated the trade talks.

Team and league sources refute that, saying that it was Griffin who initiated the trade talks with Phoenix. Griffin, who is close with Irving, sensed both his unhappiness and his restlessness and was preparing for the possibility that Irving would request a trade. But once Griffin was no longer employed by the team, the conversations stalled. Cleveland then engaged in talks with Indiana and Denver, according to league sources.
    So Irving found out that Lebron and the Cavs tried to trade his ass after he delivered them a championship and put up 29 ppg after that in the 2017 Finals. He forced his way out by threatening to get knee surgery, which would have ruined the Cavs' chances of contending for a title in 2018.

It's not the same situation as the Boston one at all. The young guys in Boston had really done nothing except beat an inexperienced Bucks' team with an interim HC and a team with an injured Embiid & Bum Simmons, and all of a sudden those guys thought they deserved to have a bigger role than Irving.

Like I said, Kyrie did not need to apologize when he got little respect from Bron & the franchise that drafted him after he delivered them a championship.

NBA Superstar

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/c...-of-cleveland/

So Irving found out that Lebron and the Cavs tried to trade his ass after he delivered them a championship and put up 29 ppg after that in the 2017 Finals. He forced his way out by threatening to get knee surgery, which would have ruined the Cavs' chances of contending for a title in 2018.

It's not the same situation as the Boston one at all. The young guys in Boston had really done nothing except beat an inexperienced Bucks' team with an interim HC and a team with an injured Embiid & Bum Simmons, and all of a sudden those guys thought they deserved to have a bigger role than Irving.

Like I said, Kyrie did not need to apologize when he got little respect from Bron & the franchise that drafted him after he delivered them a championship.
    The Lebron part is complete hearsay. And based on that snippet it appears as though the trade talks were defensive based on vibes that Kyrie was putting out in general.

So again..you don’t know what happened and Kyrie does. If he felt the need to apologize I’m sure there was a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory View Post
    The Lebron part is complete hearsay. And based on that snippet it appears as though the trade talks were defensive based on vibes that Kyrie was putting out in general.

So again..you don’t know what happened and Kyrie does. If he felt the need to apologize I’m sure there was a reason for it.
    Yeah, I'm sure it was all hearsay lol.. Cavs tried to deflect and blame it on their former GM after the fact but suuure, never happened, and LeGM sure as hell had no involvement in it! I guess you must have missed the part where team & league sources said that Griffin initiated talks huh. With how involved Lebron was there's no way he had 0 knowledge of that happening, you can bet your ass he told the FO that they could trade both Love & Irving if they had to.

NBA Superstar

Yeah, I'm sure it was all hearsay lol.. Cavs tried to deflect and blame it on their former GM after the fact but suuure, never happened, and LeGM sure as hell had no involvement in it! I guess you must have missed the part where team & league sources said that Griffin initiated talks huh. With how involved Lebron was there's no way he had 0 knowledge of that happening, you can bet your ass he told the FO that they could trade both Love & Irving if they had to.
    I’m not saying anything for sure. I don’t know what happened. Neither do you.

You know who does? Kyrie.